Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
GYMs from China or not?

How can i tell if my GYMs are made in China? Is it certain years? Is it on the tire?

All the horror stories have me a bit worried. I just traded for a new 2015 28' Intnl so the tires are new but....
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Mine (2016 build 27' FC) said 'Made in China' right on the side of the tire.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Google is your friend,

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Mine are one year old. Made in China. Have used Goodyears for 12 years now with only one flat. Picked up a 3inch long bolt. Not a tire failure.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
How can i tell if my GYMs are made in China? Is it certain years? Is it on the tire?

All the horror stories have me a bit worried. I just traded for a new 2015 28' Intnl so the tires are new but....
All ST tires are made in China ,read your sidewall, gym since around 2005 or 6 I believe, good for 3 1/2- 4 years..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2006 14" New Zealand / 2014 15" China

Like Big Al... my 15" Marathons on my 2014 International 25' had not given me any trouble. I might have put 4,000 miles on them. Under the 'N' of MarathoN you will find in small print Made in China. Since I plan to have my 25 foot International as my LAST Airstream trailer, if any trailer and am running 16" wheels and 16" LT Michelin tires. The tires will never get the 70,000 miles of use... as I will not be towing it that much. I am more confident that the Michelins will last and endure simple towing on paved roads.

Report in from time to time how they are doing.

My 2006 23 foot with 14" Marathons were made in New Zealand. They already had a grey coloring to them and the Airstream dealer 'painted' them with some black messy coloring to make them look better. They were the worst tires next to Hi Run, which are 300 mile tires from China.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Have no idea if China or not, but they're bringing replaced, new AS with faulty tires, feel deceived by Airstream as I expected better on an expensive RV.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Always interesting when people post personal opinion as fact. Usually to just keep things fired up. 😱

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Just an FYI:

ALL tires will have a "made in" statement on the sidewall. It only needs to be on one side and it might be in small letters that are difficult to read, but it will be there.

Also, you can decode the DOT code. The first 2 or 3 digits are the plant code. The full code only needs to be on one side, but the plant code will be on both sides.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Yes China and I haven't seen any trailer service tires lately that are not .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Maxxis are made in Taiwan.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
[QUOTE=MacPDX;1774085]Maxxis are made in Taiwan.[/

There is a difference?
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
From a post I made some time ago:

How to find where tires are made:

Look on the tire. Look at the molded in DOT code. The first two letters/numbers are the country of origin and the plant which made them.

Go to www.harriger.com/tires.htm to find the information based on the code.

This was published in Trailer Life Magazine.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
[QUOTE=tjdonahoe;1774095]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPDX View Post
Maxxis are made in Taiwan.[/

There is a difference?
Off topic but Taiwan is an island off the coast of China. Taiwanese consider themselves as independent from China. China considers them as a rebel region and wants to reunite them, by force if necessary, to mainland China.

I have written Goodyear and received a response that the GYMs made in China are exactly the same formula, process, components etc. as when they were made elsewhere. Goodyear says they have plants all over the world and shift production as necessary. Goodyear said that most tire failures are the result of under inflation. I asked them what their market share of ST tires was, thinking that if you make more STs than anyone else you're probably going to have more failures. They said that was proprietary and wouldn't tell me.

I have never had a problem with the GYMs on my boat nor the ones on my AS, which are now 6 years old. I will be replacing those this year and I will be buying more GYMs. I've had a LOT of blowouts on Carlisle tires, changed to GYMs. So far, so good.

As with anything else, your mileage may vary.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Woodstock ON , Ontario
Our AS was delivered from the factory to CANAM with stock tires. On delivery we specified "Michelin HEAVY LOAD" P235/75 R15 LTX M/S with carry capacity at 50lbs (max) inflation of 2183 lbs. These tires have Michelin in white letters and are available from most if not all Michelin dealers in North America.

As we understand it, these tires carry a heavier load at a lower air pressure, which is said to improve the AS ride, stress on components and contents. We also hear these tires may have an improved ability to deal with "scrub" caused by turns.

In our opinion, these tires have a slightly different appearance, in that the sidewalls appear to be thicker. There will be other differences not known to ourselves, but we can say these tires have held 47 lbs air pressure without loss of even a single pound, over the past 8 months in Florida winter climate.

These tires are monitored for failure by USDOT and I have found no reported evidence as to failures. Needless to say, we are pleased so far with Michelin performance and enjoy not having to debate the merits of tire country of origin.
cbrittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post

The "horror stories" are just that.....stories. I run nothing but Good Year tires on my TV and vintage AS. I once ran a set of Canadian made GYM's for 13 years with only one flat because of a nail. That'w what woke me to the age of the tires and I replaced them with a set of China tires which have been on for two years with no issues. I run them with 43 psi pressure on a tandem axle trailer which is the pressure indicated for the weight of my trailer on the Good Year chart.

You can buy spray treatment to prevent UV degradation and cracking which some folks call "dry rot".. I spray mine once a month with Armor All Tire Foam and keep them covered if idle for more than a month. Storage in my drive way is on pavement which I think helps. To find out the correct pressure to use, weigh your trailer one axle at a time and consult the manufacturer's weight chart. Better yet, weigh one wheel at a time and use the pressure indicated for the highest weight on all wheels.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When reading the posts on tire life, look to see the vintage and model of the poster's trailer. The Vintage crowd are towing trailers that weigh substantially less than the newer wide body models of the same length. Weight does impact tire life.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #18
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
I have had GYMs made in Canada, China, and USA. All junk. When I got the USA tires they told me everything has been fixed and not to worry. Still had tread separation. Don't tell me it was under inflation as I ran max pressure and had the pressure pro setup. Don't trust em.
kleimanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
I manufacture products in China and I spend about 2 months per year in there on average doing QC. All products made in China are required by law to state this.
US Customs will not allow any product that comes in from China that is to be resold
here not to have the Made in China or PRC or Taiwan etc. I have been in factories in China that make products that say Made in Taiwan. Most all the batteries in the world are made in China because US companies can pollute easier over there than here.
Not all products that come out of China are crap. Apple seems to do OK, however they are only assembled in China
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
There I was, in Pensacola on my way to Yellowstone, when the second of the 2 year old Carlisles on my trailer failed catastrophically. I had lost one just south of Gainesville the previous day.

As time was of the essence, off to the Goodyear dealer as he was a) open on Sunday and b) had tires in my size ready to go. Aware of the many strongly held opinions here that Marathons are "junk", I figured I'd just eat the cost for four of them on the spot and then swap them out when I got back home in the Fall.

Well, that was four years and about 26000 miles ago. Never did get around to swapping them out. I do take care of them -- pressure checked every morning on "moving day", covered when we are parked all summer, TPMS.

Maybe I am just lucky, but when they "age out" next Fall, It will be hard to justify $1500 to upgrade the wheels to Sendel and tires to Michelin...

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote