Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet Great ST tire information

Here is the most informative post I have ever seen on ST tires,
Thank You Shaowcatche of irv2.com for this information.

As many of you have figured out I am a bit obsessive about information and with reported problems with trailer tires and about a 30% failure rate including a couple of folks on this forum who have had catastrophic failures.

Portion of a post by Mike Mitchell, NuWa (HitchHiker) CEO in a discussion regarding trailer tires on the NuWa Owner's Forum.

As we banter about regarding tire types and loading, I believe that we are finally starting to understand a few important things.
I have asked many times for someone to explain how a ST tire can be rated to carry more weight than a LT tire in a similar size, without a good answer.
The answer lies in what is called reserve capacity. To quote from Trailer Parts Superstore and this same statement exist on just about every tire site:

HEAVY DUTY 'LT' TRUCK / TRAILER TIRES
'LT' signifies the tire is a "Light Truck/Trailer" series that can be used on trailers that are capable of carrying heavy cargo such as equipment trailers.

If a tire size begins with 'LT' it signifies the tire is a "Light Truck-metric" size that was designed to be used on trailers that are capable of carrying heavy cargo or tow vehicles. Tires branded with the "LT" designation are designed to provide substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo.

So what is reserve capacity? It is capacity beyond the rating of the tire, capacity that is held in reserve. This reserve capacity comes from the heavy-duty sidewall of the LT type tires. LT's rank at the top of the list when we look at P, ST and LT tires.

Now I finally have an answer to how a ST tire can be rated to carry more weight than a LT tire of similar size.

The ratings of ST tires infringe into the reserve capacity of the tire. This is double bad, because the design of the ST gives us a tire with less reserve capacity to start with as it has a lighter sidewall to start with as most ST tires are much lighter than their LT counterparts.

To quote one tire site:
"Put a different way, the load carrying capacity of an ST tire is 20% greater than an LT tire. Since durability is strictly a long term issue - and the results of a tire failure on a trailer are much less life threatening than on a truck - the folks that set up these load / inflation pressure relationships allow a greater......ah......let's call it load intensity."

There it is in print to be read. They make a calculated decision to give the ST tire a higher load rating because a failure is less life threatening.

I have on a number of occasions pointed out the weight difference between the different tires and have been told that does not matter. Well it does matter. The rubber in the average tire only makes up around 40 some percent of its weight, the rest is in the steel belts, gum strips, steel beads, and the carcass plies. The remaining 60 or so percent of the stuff in a tire is what builds in the reserve capacity.

So to review again, here are some weights:
1. Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16 LRE (rated to 3042lbs) Weight 55.41
2. Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 LRG (rated to 3750lbs) Weight 57.5
3. Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 60
4. BFG Commercial TA LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 44.44
5. Uniroyal Laredo HD/H LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 44.44
6. GY Marathon ST235/80R16 LRE(rated to 3420lbs) Weight 35.4

So which tires on the list have the most reserve capacity? Well that is not a completely simple answer, as one of the tires is a G rate 110 lb tire and the rest are LRE at 80lb inflation. So if we disregard the G614, then the Michelin XPS RIB and the Bridgestone Duravis R250 due to their all-steel ply construction will have the most reserve capacity inherent in their construction. The twin Commercial TA and Laredo will be next and the Marathon would have little or no reserve capacity available because it was used up in its higher load rating, AND because of it's much lighter construction it had much less inherent reserve capacity to start with.

So what have we learn from this?

I think that the first thing that we learned was that a LT tire can be used at or near it max rated loading without having issues, as they built with "substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo".

The second thing we may have learned is why ST tires are failing on mid to larger 5th wheels, in that they do not have inherent reserve capacity beyond that rated max loading. Again this is because they have less reserve capacity to start with and their greater "load intensity" used up any reserve capacity that might have been available.

Now, here is an interesting bit of information. I just called Maxxis Tech Line and asked the weights for two tires.

ST235/80R16 LRD 3000 lb rating at 65 lbs of air weights 38.58
ST235/80R16 LRE 3420 lb rating at 80 lbs of air weights 43.43

What??? The Maxxis load range E tire weights almost the same as the Commercial TA?? This is a ST tire that has heavier construction than the GY Marathon at 35.4 lbs. So it has more inherent reserve capacity due to its heavier construction.

Those that claimed its virtues maybe did not know why it was a better ST tire than some of the others, but there it is! It is a heavier built tire with more reserve capacity.

So as one chooses a replacement tire or is asking for an upgrade on a new trailer please get educated on where the reserve capacity exist. Is it inherent in the tire you choose or do you have to factor it into the weight rating of the tire you choose.

The thread Tire blow out - cause unknown
and the survey http://blog.goodsamclub.com/wp-conte...ireSurvey4.pdf
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

dannydimit, that is a fine bit of sleuthing there!

What that poster says makes a lot of sense. It sure does answer a lot of vexing questions.

I happen to own a set of faultless Maxxis tires. They have been great.

Now, let's hope the Maxxis accountants aren't reading your report. If they are like the others' beancounters, they may tell their engineers to quit designing their tires so well. They last too long, which cuts profit margins ... Unless, of course, their growing reputation adds to their sales, which in the long run can award them for their wonderful approach to engineering safety margins.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Evan though the specs quoted were all for 16 inch tires, the numbers on the specs for 15 inch L T verses S T tires should be right in line with the 16's
Old 04-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Dannydimitt,

I think you will find people who disagree with some of the things reported as "facts" in Mr. Mitchell's post. I know I do. Here is but one:

Quote:
......I have asked many times for someone to explain how a ST tire can be rated to carry more weight than a LT tire in a similar size, without a good answer......
Ask me. I know the answer.

Quote:
......The answer lies in what is called reserve capacity.......
Sadly, no, that is not the answer.

Quote:
.......Tires branded with the "LT" designation are designed to provide substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo..........
Uh.......Mmmmmmm...... No, but let's see where this is going.

Quote:
.........So what is reserve capacity? It is capacity beyond the rating of the tire, capacity that is held in reserve......
I was afraid that this was where this was going - and it's wrong. The way the term is used in the tire industry is that reserve capacity is the difference between the maximum load at the pressure being used and the actual load on the tire.

Quote:
........This reserve capacity comes from the heavy-duty sidewall of the LT type tires.........
Nope. Totally wrong.

Quote:
.....Now I finally have an answer to how a ST tire can be rated to carry more weight than a LT tire of similar size.......
Sorry, but you don't.

- and at this point I will start filling in the gaps.

ST tires are rated at a higher load carrying capacity than LT tires because 1) they are restricted to 65 mph, 2) because they are free rolling, not driven or steered, and 3) because they are not on passenger carrying vehicles.

Mr. Mitchell also quotes ME on the "passenger carrying" issue, but gets the conclusion wrong. The OTHER factors are much more important in determining the load carrying capacity.

Then he completely misses a particularly important point. ST tires are generally used at their maximum load carrying capacity - while LT tires are rarely used at their maximum load carrying capacity (when adjusted for speed).

There are other issues why LT tires seem to perform better - major manufacturers, larger sizing, etc.

- and that is why there are so many tire debates. Lots of ill formed, but strongly held opinions.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am still going to put my money on a good man rated tire as opposed to an ST tire. I will stick to my 235/75-R15 XL (Airstream) tires over the 225/75-15 ST (dump tailer) tire. On my garbage trailer ST tires are ok because the dump is only a mile from my house.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
dannydimit, that is a fine bit of sleuthing there!

I happen to own a set of faultless Maxxis tires. They have been great.

Now, let's hope the Maxxis accountants aren't reading your report. If they are like the others' beancounters, they may tell their engineers to quit designing their tires so well. They last too long, which cuts profit margins ... Unless, of course, their growing reputation adds to their sales, which in the long run can award them for their wonderful approach to engineering safety margins.
Thought you should know this: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1292385

Not a Marathon, but a club member/friend had a Maxxis "ST" tire come apart on the way back from our Rockport rally yesterday, and we stopped to help change the tire.

It was the typical "ST" tire failure, it was four years old, the remainder of the tread we found stuck between the brake backing plate and the axle had more than sufficient tread depth. Other than that small portion of tread, all that remained of the tire was the beads, and small portions of the side wall. He was fortunate the only damage to the trailer was the wheel well molding and the area of the belly pan and banana wrap directly behind the curb side tire.

Interesting observation was the remaining tire on that side of the trailer also showed some tread separation starting, and the spare had even more. He decided to continue on at 50 MPH since it was Sunday, and he made it home (100 miles) with no additional failures. This tells me that if a close inspection is done frequently of the tread on these tires, potential failures might be caught before doing so much damage.

So, the Maxxis are not without failures.

And, Danny, your link to the survey does not work.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Everytime I stop, I inspect the tires and feel how hot they are running.

Perry
Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Everytime I stop, I inspect the tires and feel how hot they are running.

Perry
Perry, I think you missed the key point I was trying to make. The bulges in the tread area are the beginnings of tread separation, which will lead to throwing the tread, and then a blowout.

The beginnings of tread separation is what the tires needs to be checked for.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

SteveH, thanks for the info.

In my note above, I meant the tires have been "faultless" for ME since I got them. I can't speak for anyone else. I'm sure that others have had problems. But, gauging from the info I have read on a number of forums through the years, the Maxxis brand seems to be rated up there with the best.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yes, I too have run the Maxxis in the past without incident. Just didn't want you to think they are infalable.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well you can see tread separation when the tires are on the ground, especially side wall bulges.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Perry, I think you missed the key point I was trying to make. The bulges in the tread area are the beginnings of tread separation, which will lead to throwing the tread, and then a blowout.

The beginnings of tread separation is what the tires needs to be checked for.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Actually, it has been my observation that tread separation starts as a bulge in the tread area, and usually not all the way around the tire.

So, it depends on where on the tread the bulge is located vs where the tire stops if you can see it or not.

To accurately check for the beginnings of tread separation, the tire needs to be lifted off the ground and rotated while watching for bulges in the tread.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

How about just a good old 7.00x15 LT bias-ply tire?

Good stiff sidewalls to lower trailer sway, been around for years, when they blowout, they don't become a chainsaw down the side of your trailer. Had my first one in 12 years of towing let go its tread a few months ago, but did not blowout. Even rode on the nylon cords for a few miles!

Just an old school kinda guy I guess. They are the only thing I put on my Airstreams.

Enjoy,
Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post

Good stiff sidewalls to lower trailer sway, been around for years, when they blowout, they don't become a chainsaw down the side of your trailer. Had my first one in 12 years of towing let go its tread a few months ago, but did not blowout. Even rode on the nylon cords for a few miles!

Just an old school kinda guy I guess. They are the only thing I put on my Airstreams.

Enjoy,
Have a friend in our unit that uses them with good success. He says the same thing about the lack of a steel belt to do all the damage to the trailer.

Only problem is they are hard to find. He buys his at a farmer's CO-OP.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

BlueStar, PowerKing, etc... (China Made) but hold up well being they use many of the old molds from years past. I just got 4 BlueStar's for a 1974 Overlander and 8 PowerKings for three other Airstreams of which both have the same tread just the sidewall manufacture stamping is different. Cost about $115-130 a tire. If you need help finding them, let me know.

No chainsaws for me!

Enjoy
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post

Enjoy,
Yep, a nylon might throw some or all of it's tread if they get very old but they usually never do any damage or go flat . and you can continue on the cords till you get to a nice safe spot to change it out.

I too feel that the S T nylon tires mainly the 700/15 would be a good choice
if you were going to run a S T tire. Personally I Would never use a ST radial on anything but an old plow or disk behind a farm tractor.
I bought a set of Carlisle 700/15s load range D from Discount tire 3 or 4 months ago to use on the Airstream , They would have been OK but due to the fact that they were out of round a bit and had to use 6 to 10 OZ.s of weights per tire to balance them , I decided to use them on my equipment trailer and went with radials on the Airstream.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Dumb question here - can you run bias ply tires on your trailer if you run radials on tour tow vehicle? I remember my father in law drilling it in to me that the two types of tires are NEVER to be mixed (I think he added, "young man" for effect). :effective: :-)

I'm a rookie and totally tempted to leave the GYMs on it (they can carry over 10k# and my max is 7600) - but I'm worried about everything I read about these (and failing batteries and parallax converters and.... ?).

If you can run both types together, what are the benefits beyond not tearing up the trailer on a blowout? What might some of the risks be? Thanks muchly!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Dumb question here - can you run bias ply tires on your trailer if you run radials on tour tow vehicle? I remember my father in law drilling it in to me that the two types of tires are NEVER to be mixed (I think he added, "young man" for effect). :effective: :-)

I'm a rookie and totally tempted to leave the GYMs on it (they can carry over 10k# and my max is 7600) - but I'm worried about everything I read about these (and failing batteries and parallax converters and.... ?).

If you can run both types together, what are the benefits beyond not tearing up the trailer on a blowout? What might some of the risks be? Thanks muchly!!
Yep, not mixing the radials and nylons comes from back in the early 70s when radials started showing up on the market. ALL vehicles back then cars trucks and trailers come with bias ply tires "nylon" and there was concern about mixing the two up as the world became radialized for lack of a better word. The first radials I ever used was in 72 on the back of a 64 Ford Galaxy 500 . The smart people back then said if you were only going to buy 2 radials then you must put them on the back axle and leave the bias ply on the front. So I did and it drove and handled no different than it did before. I never heard anything about trailers and tow vehicles having to have the same type of tire and have never had any issues at all with nylons on the trailer and radials on the truck or visa versa. Have used radials and bias together on the same trailer and on the same axle and never a problem. I would not put a radial next to a nylon on a duel wheel set up though . If you go with the Nylons on your trailer you will have a lot better luck with your tires than with a radial ST .
Nuff said
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Before radials became popular for trailers, we ran bias ply tires on the trailer and radials on the tow vehicle all the time with no problems.

It's just me, but I would not mix radials and bias ply on a driven vehicle.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Before radials became popular for trailers, we ran bias ply tires on the trailer and radials on the tow vehicle all the time with no problems.

It's just me, but I would not mix radials and bias ply on a driven vehicle.
Nope I wouldn't either....but then again I STILL run bias tubeless on "Bertha".

Bob