Old 12-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Lucky Tom... I owned a 2006 23 foot Safari. My complaint with the Goodyear 14 inch tires is that they are easily punctured with road gravel and should have axles and wheels like every other Airstream... 15".

I had luck with other brands that have been covered on the Forum. My experience with Goodyear and some inexpensive Chinese tires... DON'T. Costco has an excellent brand and that is what we found very sturdy and longevity.

Your choice of replacement tires for 14 inch trailer rated are not as good as the 15 inch tires.

In my lifetime I have never had a lug nut loosen or fall off. Snug is best.

I had a neighbor twenty years ago where his wife had ALL five lug nuts come off at the same time and lost it while driving from work. I said it seemed like someone had a grudge against her. He thought they just were not tightened well. So, it is not a bad idea to just check for "snug". If you notice a vibration from the tow vehicle or trailer... pull over gently and check.

Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I use a 100 ft/lb torque stick on my impact driver, then check with the torque wrench. Quick and easy.

I started doing things the same way just last year - I was impressed how accurately the torque stick seems to work!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I replaced my tires as needed. Two developed sidewall bubbles at abut 3.5 years old and two started to separate at 7 years old. Always use a torque wrench when tightening your lug nuts. Use Centramatics to help balance your system, mostly for the factory un-balanced brake drums. Un-balanced wheels will beat your trailer to death and do the same to your tires. I torque my wheels when ever they have been removed and once more at my first destination of the day. I re-check/torque my lug nuts before every trip. I have never had any sideway cracks in any of my trailer tires; I did have some sidewall cracks in my Lincoln tires once and they were replaced right away. To me, [my opinion] sideway cracks are a sign of tires preparing to come apart.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1978 29' Ambassador
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Originally Posted by Lucky Tom View Post
I bought the GY Marathons at Sams Club, $91 ea. Had them mounted today. I used a DeWalt Impact Driver (cordless) to put back on AS. I am now wondering if this power tool can torque down the lug nuts enough. Does anybody else use this tool for this job? BTW, on the old 5 year Marathons we found one with separated belt, although not coming apart yet. And one had a bad spot burned by the electric brakes locking up the tire. Code date 1209, made in Dec 2009.
The lot date code on your tires is likely the twelfth week of 2009 - usually it's the week of the year, followed by the year. i.e. if made today, it would be 5214.
mojofilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by Lucky Tom View Post
Thanks, people. I perhaps could get another year but I will be going out to Arizona last of January to the Alumafiesta in Tucson. From Alabama. Much of the distance will be along open road with tire stores far apart. Do not want something bad to happen while traveling 60-65.
Not to worry, tire stores are at nearly exit on the interstate in the south and SW. Exploding truck and ST tires keep them busy in the summer. Provided you go slow, tire trouble is much less likely in the winter.
If you are buying tires, I would go with LT of P rated extra load. You have a small trailer so you should be able to find them in your load range without changing wheels. 225 is the standard 15 inch size, but 235's will fit without difficulty. The cost is not that much more and blowouts are much less common. With lower inflation and more flex in the sidewall, your ride will be much smoother with motor vehicle tires.

handn is offline   Reply With Quote