Old 09-22-2006, 08:59 AM   #29

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by Pimprnel
I just purchased a new 2007 Safari. Took it on our first trip and within 500 miles had a blow out! Was very surprised as my other Safari had same tires. Put on the spare and it is a Marathon same size etc. The spare tire itself looks different on the outside but is the same Marathon. Went to tire shop where we were camping and asked for a replacement to have a backup for return trip. He put on a used for now until I could get in touch with the dealer. He commented, the side wall on the Marathon blown out seemed on the thin side for a trailer this size. Trailer is a 28ft. at 7300 GVWR. The Marathons on it are a 6 ply which seems to be low based on what others are writing in the forums. I also noticed on 2005 unit and the 2007 that there are waves in the side walls as mentioned in other posts. I will surely look in to this. The dealer is currently checking in to the matter for me.
As noted earlier it's not unusual to see wave's in the radial tires. It is part of the construction process. You just don't want the bulges in the sidewalls which indicate a sidewall failure.

Just a couple of questions, did you check out your tire pressures before you left on your first trip, or did you assume your dealer did this for you? Second and third questions relate to the tires themselves. Did you check whether you had a load rated D tire and did you look at the manufacturing date of the tire that failed? I 've seen a situation where a new Classic trailer was found to have a C rated tire in its mix of 4. That C rated tire blew.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:15 AM   #30
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Goodyear is the only American "owned" company left. Firestone; Japan, Michelin; French a good reason to boycott Michelin.

Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #31
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Cooper is also American owned. But, if supporting the US economy is the goal or a perceived quality inherent in US products it might be more important to look at who actually manufactures tires in the US.

bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:53 PM   #32
Round on both ends
1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Bernie,

Marathons made in New Zealand complicate the picture.

I had a tire bumping on I-20 today that scared me, and back to the Goodyear shop crept I. The (inherited) Lincoln now has a new "Eagle GA Touring" sitting on the front left.

This tire has even *more* scripture on the sides of it to read than than the last set.

1975 Argosy 28 "Argosy"
1979 Excella 500 31 "Betsy"
1992 Lincoln Mk 7 LSC
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote