Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
When I bought my new Casita in 2008 I heard so many stories about GYMs that I bought new tires within the first month, Maxxis.
Lo and behold, I picked up my new 2010 Airstream April 1st in Irvine CA and it had Chinese GYMs. Had I not paid for the trailer before I even saw it, I would not have accepted it with GYMs. And now the rest of the story.
We just completed a 10,500 mile trip from S. Texas to Alaska. I am a tire nut, and was paranoid about these GYMs. I checked the air pressure before we left, in Fairbanks, and did not abuse those tires.
Stopped for an oil change at a Tire shop in Kansas coming home and as an afterthought ask the guy to check the air in the trailer tires with his gauge after I hooked it back up. He said, "You gotta look at this." Three of my GYMs looked almost new. One was distorted and worn in only one spot like I'd driven it down the road skidding for a mile. He said, "This tire is separating."
I don't care if Goodyear now makes the tires in the USA, or in heaven. I'm not buying anymore Goodyear tires for any reason.
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
new tires?????

It's time to put new tires on my second home. I went to my tire dealer and told him I wanted to order 4 Maratonn tires, but wanted to make sure they were U. S. made. He said they were no longer made is the U.S. I asked him to reserch it because I felt sure they were again being made in the U.S. , he came back and told me that they were not being made here and that I might want to consider a brand called Green Ball Tow Masters. Any help would be appreciated.
Allen H is offline   Reply With Quote