Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #101
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Yup,

Those are the ply splices (overlap), not the belt splice. There will be at least one for every sidewall ply. So in an ST type tire or an LT type tire you can find at least 2. These are sometimes hard to find, but if you look hard enough, they are there.

Note, you can see one in the photo of the Michelin.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
So I went ahead and purchased the 16" LT tire setup on my Classic as stated in other threads. I had my original Alcoa rims and GYM 15" tires with about 6,000 miles and 2 years on them that I took off. I sold the set including the spare to a friend of mine that was putting them on a large utility trailer with 6 lugs. When we rolled them out to his truck, he noticed that one of the tires was bulging on one side of the tread, not the sidewall. On further investigation, it would have been another failure if I had taken my AS on a road trip as the tread would have seperated and I would have had another flat. I changed out to LT's just in the nick of time.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #103
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Two things that I have added on the peace of mind category, internal TPMS and an infrared non contact thermometer. The TPMS watches out for temp and PSI problems hopefully before they become a major problem. The temp gun has an amazing number of uses, but at a rest stop take it out and shoot the tires, hubs and brakes. I don't have temp number guidelines, just watch for hot anythings compared to the other parts or cold brake components. Braking creates heat, absence of heat can mean the brake is not working.

I had OE GYM problems with 3 tires on my 1st outing and the replacement GYMS developed protruding sidewall bulges. Dealer replaced with my choice, I picked Maxxis, so far zero issues. Previously documented.

I have 16"tires in mind, seriously.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #104
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
I'll be needing new tires.

I'll be needing new tires, 225/75 R15 LR "D", for our 27' Safari. In previous years I've had good luck with the Good Year Marathons. However, In reading several of the comments regarding tires I still have questions. I've checked locally with four different tire shops as to various brands. Unfortunately, most or all of them are Chinese made.

Has anyone heard of or used a tire manufacturer called "Greenball Transmaster"? Evidently this company makes tires for commercial, industrial, and off road use. (Today was the first I've heard of them.)

Next question: What about the "ST" vs "LT" series. Is there any benefit of one over the other?

Thanks,
Jim
Air Forum # 6370
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #105
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ok.. so, the consensus is:
Aluminum wheels, 16x6 or 16x8 with bolt pattern of 6x5.5?

What about on the 34'?

Which tires? BF G's in LT?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #106
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsteader View Post
I'll be needing new tires, 225/75 R15 LR "D", for our 27' Safari. In previous years I've had good luck with the Good Year Marathons. However, In reading several of the comments regarding tires I still have questions. I've checked locally with four different tire shops as to various brands. Unfortunately, most or all of them are Chinese made.

Has anyone heard of or used a tire manufacturer called "Greenball Transmaster"? Evidently this company makes tires for commercial, industrial, and off road use. (Today was the first I've heard of them.)

Next question: What about the "ST" vs "LT" series. Is there any benefit of one over the other?

Thanks,
Jim
Air Forum # 6370
Greenball is another Chinese outfit
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #107
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsteader View Post

Thanks,
Jim
Air Forum # 6370

You didn't say if your tire placard indicated you should run ST type or LT type but you will find that ST type tires are rated to carry more load, at a slower speed than LT type tires.

PM me if you need more details.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote