Old 07-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #57

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
that is always floating in the main list because it's so important. This is not only about saving property, it's about saving lives. A blow-out on a single axle is a much more dangerous scenario than on a double axle. Plus, if you follow the links I provided you see that putting Goodyears on your TV could put you at risk as well. And, for those with MoHos there's issues with those tires too.
And there are consumer threads out there tauting dangerous Michelin tires also. You know there is so much information out here posted on various brands of tires that are bad including BF Goodrich, Firestone to add a couple of more brands, my head sometimes doesn't know what is safe to buy anymore.

I'm just not sure if the issues we are dealing with are based on the globalization of our economy and the fact that products that we consume are coming from so many countries that quality control is becoming a real issue.

Going back to the tire issue I just don't know where to go on this. I had some friends who just bought some Tow Masters who had heard some good word on them. Then I stumbled on a Goodyear press release noting that they had just produced the millionth Tow Master tire. So just as you think you are buying something else you find that it's being made by the same company you are trying to avoid. Or you find a good product only to find the manufacturing plant moves to a different country and things go down the toilet.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Similar Tire ID number

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossFam05BH

The ballooned tire was made in Canada, and has an identification code of T302243 BW 1GKH. The other 3 tires were also made in Canada.

Just checked the tires on our 2005 30' Bunkhouse and one of them has the ID number of T302244 BW 1GKH. That is just one number off from RossFam05BH's failed tire number. What does this mean? Does it mean it came off the assembly line next after RossFam05BH's tire? We currently have about 3000 miles on the tires, but are headed from Columbus, GA to northern Wisconsin starting Sunday.

Sarah

Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #59
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&SZinser
Does it mean it came off the assembly line next after RossFam05BH's tire?...Sarah
no

the relevant code follows a "DOT" stamp...

usually just before of the size info 225/75/15...

should be 12 letters and numbers in 3 groups of 4...

the last 4 in the series will be week/year of production...

for example

DOT abcd efgh 3205

produced in the 32nd week of 2005.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&SZinser
Just checked the tires on our 2005 30' Bunkhouse and one of them has the ID number of T302244 BW 1GKH. That is just one number off from RossFam05BH's failed tire number. What does this mean? Does it mean it came off the assembly line next after RossFam05BH's tire? We currently have about 3000 miles on the tires, but are headed from Columbus, GA to northern Wisconsin starting Sunday.

Sarah
Hi Sarah,

I would think that Marathon T302244 BW 1GKH was made right after T302243 BW 1GKH, but who knows? Have you had any tire failures yet? I ask that because 2Air stimulated my memory by pointing out that our 30' Bunkhouse's invariably crack around the bottom corners of the front hatch. Is there a correlation between abnormal stress cracking of the front aluminum panel and rear tire separation? The fact that we have a tire which was in the roadside rear position for 10000 miles and still looks great suggests that the correlation is most likely bogus. Just for fun, I checked the other tires identification codes: T275238 BW 1GKH (separated, roadside rear), T275237 BW 1GKH (O.K., roadside front), T311977 BW 1GKH (O.K., curbside front). At this point, I can't figure out any telltale signs of manufacturing defects related to certain batches of Marathons. But then again, maybe after the NHTSA gets ahold of our separated tires, the story may be different.

FWIW, I was able to catch the tires in the process of separating by observing the change in across the tread profile going from flat (normal) to rounded (scary). This profile change can be hard to see in the confines of the wheel wells, but it is pretty obvious when it does happen. When we left Washington, D.C. last week for home in North Carolina, the tires all looked fined. I first noticed a problem on the curbside rear at the first rest stop on I-95 (around 100 miles?). Only when we got home could I see a problem with the roadside rear.

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #61
_

. , .
Quote:
...I would think that Marathon T302244 BW 1GKH was made right after T302243 BW 1GKH, but who knows?....
once again an example of the relevant production code.

note the maple leaf above...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	production_code.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	41106  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
once again an example of the relevant production code.

note the maple leaf above...

cheers
2air'
2AirisHuman,

Thanks again for your invaluable input. I really mean this. Those nasty DOT brands are located on the other side of the tire. Duh!! Here it is: DO5R PDHH MLO4 2704. All tires have the production date of 2704. BTW, my new wheels just showed up via UPS. Off to Sam's club I go.

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
Old 07-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #63
_

. , .
Quote:
here it is... DO5R PDHH MLO4 2704. All tires have the production date of 2704....Paul

so those tires were produced at the valleyfield quebec canada goodyear facility in early july 2004.

cheers
2air'

Old 07-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #64

Fenton , Missouri
I've been looking at the Maxxis web site for their ST trailer tires. One of the features they provide is a nylon cap. Silvertwinkie did some more research and look at what he found. This is very interesting.

CBC Marketplace: Dangerous Tires

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #65
_

. , .
CHENG SHIN rubber industires (maxxis) makes good tires...

ABOUT US

including jinrikisha tires

nylon cap reinforcement isn't new....

that news piece is 6+ years old.

very common on low profile performance tires from japan and europe.

clearly helpful at 100+mph.

would they make a difference on st rated tires?

perhaps.

what's a marathon sell for, 65-90$...

while the equivalent maxxis is 120-140$ per tire.

and still the load rating is established at 65mph.

still IF you stay close to home and have a maxxis dealer nearby, might b a good choice.

currently the maxxis network is very thin.

i will consider maxxis IF they are still in this segment when my next half dozen are needed....

in about 14-18 months...

i've gone through about 8 maxxis in the past 2 years with one failure...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/355228-post122.html

cheers
2air'

Old 07-14-2007, 12:19 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Acronyms

Fwiw?
Old 07-14-2007, 05:56 AM   #67
Site Team

, Minnesota
. . for what it's worth . . .
Old 07-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #68

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

what's a marathon sell for, 65-90$...

while the equivalent maxxis is 120-140$ per tire.

and still the load rating is established at 65mph.

still IF you stay close to home and have a maxxis dealer nearby, might b a good choice.

currently the maxxis network is very thin.

i
http://www.airforums.com/forums/355228-post122.html

cheers
2air'
Looks like the 8 ply rated tires in my size is about $120 with the 10 ply rated tire at $140. That 10 ply is of interest to me since it has a load capacity of just over 3,000 lbs. That gives me a lot more fudge factor when I'm pulling with a full fresh water tank.

Personally the fact that a dealer is nearby is of questionable value. From what I have read here in most cases, a tire failure probably is not covered under warranty since it seems to be blamed on under inflation or overloading. Road hazzards are usually not covered unless you have some type of add on package with the tire dealer, and even with that it might not be of value once you are out of town.

Maybe if you want to replace a blown tire with the same make would be the biggest consideration. Hopefully by making a better tire choice we are trying to reduce that occurance...

65 is still fast enough for me, so no limitations there.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-14-2007, 11:43 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Hi All,

We can now record that 4 out of 5 Marathon tires that originally came with the trailer have separated. The fourth tire, which was in the roadside front position, and which I thought was not separated, exhibited a bulge under closer inspection. The separation field on the tire's road surface was much less in area than the really bad tire, but as shown in the following picture, I would hesitate to drive another mile with it. The bulging ridge on the left half of the tire extends 8 inches around the circumference of the tire.

Name:	DSCN0118.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	41171

I was unable to see the problem with this tire until I had removed it from the trailer.

The reason why I removed this tire was so that I could install the new Michelin tires! They fit in the wheel wells somewhat snugly, but the Michelin's are still lower in profile than the really bad separated Marathon. In the following picture, the O.K. Marathon is left, the Michelin is center, and the nasty separated Marathon is on the right. All tires are on wheels and inflated to 65 lbs.

Name:	DSCN0119.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	41172

Finally, here is a picture of the new Michelins installed on the trailer.

Name:	DSCN0121.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	41173

We are now ready for further adventures. We will keep you posted on the tires' performance after they have some miles on them.

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
Old 07-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
fwiw... "for what it's worth..."
Maxxis - now I'm REALLLY going out on a limb, but they do make some fine BIKE tires... really! The press has been saying they're quite good!

I don't know, for every blown tire, there's a zillion more out there still going round and round. I haven't stopped every person that has a flat out there, but there are a lot on passenger cars too.

Knock on wood, my Canadian Marathons are still going strong... will I look at some other brands when I replace them next year? Yes... Did I hate the OEM Goodyear's on my Mazda - Yes....

I've had good experiences with BFG and Michellin... FWIW!

Paul, I like those new tires/rims! Those are 16", right?
Marc