Old 07-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I hate to post in a harsh way. But the simple fact is I've had more Goodyear tire failures than any other brand. I have never had a bad Michelin yet. As for more Marathons being used on new R/Vs, I imagine that a chinese Marathon can be purchased for much less than a Michelin. Quite frankly, I'd hesitate to use a Goodyear on a wheelbarrow !

You can get further with a kind word and a gun,
than a kind word alone.
They say love is blind, but marriage is a real eye opener!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
The Marathons are terrible and have been for years

I've already posted my tale of woe with a blow-out of a Marathon with less than 2500 miles. And I've already posted this and was told by another poster it was irrelevant because it was old. FWIW, here it is again:

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received 37
complaints about tread separations on Goodyear's Load Range E tires.
Those include 31 collisions that ended in 15 deaths and 129 injuries. The
NHTSA opened a preliminary investigation into the Goodyear tires last
month.

Load Range E tires are large tires made primarily for commercial trucks,
vans and trailers.

The lawsuit also names as a defendant Kelly-Springfield Tire Co., a
Goodyear subsidiary. The lawsuit claims the faulty tires include Goodyear
Wrangler AT, Goodyear Wrangler HT, Goodyear Wrangler RT/S, Goodyear All
Season Workhorse, Kelly-Springfield Power King, Kelly-Springfield
Trailbuster, Goodyear Marathon and other Goodyear/Kelly-Springfield Load
Range E, Load Range D, light truck and recreational tires. (The
Associated Press State & Local Wire, December 15, 2000)

Google "Goodyear Marathon Tire Failure". It's scary.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
An update,

Blu Hwy Lady put the bee in our bonnet to contact the NHTSA. We have filed a formal complaint and the word is an investigator may take a look at the two separated Marathons. The fellow I talked to on the phone said it was unique that the tires were still intact, inflated and on rims. We will keep you all posted.

Paul and Miriam
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
You mentioned that all three tire failures were on the rear axle. Makes me think that the rear axle was carrying more weight than the front axle.
Is the tongue too high when hooked up to your tow vehicle? Only a few inches are necessary for the weight carried by the two axles to shift quite a lot.
Is the weight of your trailer close to the max weight that the four tires can support? If so then the rear tires may be overloaded.
Al
Old 07-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #33
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks...mine were also made in Canada.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
Is the tongue too high when hooked up to your tow vehicle? Only a few inches are necessary for the weight carried by the two axles to shift quite a lot.
Is the weight of your trailer close to the max weight that the four tires can support? If so then the rear tires may be overloaded.
Al
Hi BigAl,

We know that the levelness of the trailer isn't an issue. Not only do we use a Hensley Arrow hitch, but we also have a front-to-back level indicator on the trailer - it's perfectly level. Furthermore, when you stand back 200 ft. and look, my micrometer eyeball says the trailer/TV combination is level.

Regarding weight, the Marathons are supposed to be able to support 2540 lbs at 65 psi (this is from the Goodyear inflation/load tables). 4 tires should therefore be able to support 10,160 lbs. We're ~8400 lbs max., and we typically leave our house at 7800 lbs. (measured on a Cat scale, TV unhooked). Even if our trailer/TV combo was not level, there should be enough excess load capacity for the tires not to fail.

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #35
_

. , .
a tire autopsy is just the ticket!

keep us informed if they do this.

bigal's comment is valid.

for any of us with rear tire issues...

he's also using a haha as am i.

the w/d bars exert considerable force when adjusted.

so it's possible any of us with rear tire issues may have higher loads rearward...

still it should be less than max.

and THIS is a unit that's had front end cracking (bunkhouse) and the tank supports reinforced?

your level reads level while towing?

wow, that would require a perfectly flat road and the perfect hitch set up...

and that tire on the right still looks really really worn...

honestly we are all just 2nd guessing and thinking from the peanut gallery.

ultimately opting for a different wheel/tire combo may be your best option,

and especially as confidence in the current product seems 2b shot...

look forward to the autopsy report!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
BigAl,

I just want to add one more point to our discussion. The trailer now has 12500 miles. At 10000 miles we experienced our first tire separation at the curbside rear position. At that time I moved the spare to the curbside rear position, and rotated the roadside tires front to back, and vice-versa. Therefore, the tire with the greatest length of time on the rear axle is the one currently at the roadside front position. It has not yet failed.

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Axle loading

Paul
I was suprised when I took my 31 FT Excella to the CAT scale.
I found that when the trailer looked level the axles were not evenly loaded.
After a couple hours of readjusting the ball height, ball mount angle and number of links (I have a Reese Straight line Dual Cam), I finally got the weight on all four axles within 100 lbs of each other (3100 to 3200 LBS per axle).
What a difference in braking and handeling.
Even though the tow vehicle pulled down flat(same drop at all four wheels, the trailer looks a little down at the tongue) the weight on the axles is pratically even.
As for the Marathons, they are like all the rest of the trailer tires, 65 MPH tires and they can't stand the heat generated at that speed. Its not the Load Range, its the rubber compounds being used. They just can't take the heat.
Would I put them on a trailer to use around town? Of course I would. They are inexpensive. But for extended highway driving during the summer, I wanted something with mor heat resistance and that rating is indicated by the Speed Rating.
Who did you talk to in the NHTSA. I still have the ST tires that failed on me.
I would be happy to donate them to the cause.
Beginner
Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Tire separation

The quality of a tire involves the type of rubber used, manufacturing process and quality control at the manufacture. Regardless of manufacture, tread separation can and does occur. It is a gradual process and sliding one's open palm around the circumferance will usually indicate any separation beyond the inital stage. Even with the operator doing their part and all things within respective parameters, tread separation will still occur if there is a flaw in the manufacturing process. Being associated with heavy equipment in my work, we have used Bandag to recap our own tire cases. With our cases and the xray process to discover any flaws within a case, we have had excellent results. I offer this not as a suggestion, but rather an example. Most tire failures are from heat (underinflation) as opposed to tread separation. With separated tires there is a prorated warranty with the manufacture. Part of my annual spring checks is (with the wheels raised) spinning and checking the tire runout on each wheel.

Safety adn happy trveling is priceless,
Larry
Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #39

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossFam05BH
An update,

Blu Hwy Lady put the bee in our bonnet to contact the NHTSA. We have filed a formal complaint and the word is an investigator may take a look at the two separated Marathons. The fellow I talked to on the phone said it was unique that the tires were still intact, inflated and on rims. We will keep you all posted.

Paul and Miriam
Thanks for doing that. I felt that you did have a great opportuntity for someone to look at. Let's hope the resulting analysis of these tires will give you and us the answers we are looking for.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #40

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
Paul
As for the Marathons, they are like all the rest of the trailer tires, 65 MPH tires and they can't stand the heat generated at that speed. Its not the Load Range, its the rubber compounds being used. They just can't take the heat.

Beginner
Unfortunately ST tires have no labeled heat rating standards like passenger car tires. While I hate govt. regulations, this is one area where it would be beneficial to a purchaser. At least you would have some idea how a specific tire rates out and you could make a more effective decision as to what to purchase.

I know I'm now on the fence as to what brand I will purchase for next season for the Classic.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera

I know I'm now on the fence as to what brand I will purchase for next season for the Classic.

Jack
You and me both!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Everything you Need to Know about Terrible Goodyear

I'd really like to keep this thread active because this is an important issue and I've posted about it before. Our blow-out caused serious damage to the wheel well. Because the trailer tows so well, we didn't know it had blown and it was only a miracle that we stopped before it caught the whole trailer on fire. As it was, it burned a hole in the plywood subfloor and when I opened the door of the trailer I couldn't even see inside because of the smoke.

So, anyone who tells me that the Marathons are fine and it's just a matter of load balancing, inflation...blah...blah...blah and your Marathons are great. Well, I say even a blind squirrel finds a few nuts. Below is irrefutable proof that Goodyear Tires are garbage and the company covers up the problems. One article and half dozen links. And that's just from the first page of Google! It's not just the Marathons; it's all Goodyear tires for trucks and RVs as well as trailers.

Here's a link to epinions. Only one person had anything postitive to say; the rest said they were junk.
http://www1.epinions.com/Goodyear_Ma...splay_~reviews

Goodyear RV tires Another Recall?
April 29, 2007. By Jane Mundy digg Del.icio.us Seed Newsvine
Scottsdale, AZ: "My motor home only has 19,000 miles on it and the Goodyear tires are already showing signs of wearing," says Paul Barns. "What will it take for Goodyear to issue a nationwide recall - a serious injury or even death?"

"I think I only have another 5,000 miles left before these tires need to be replaced," says Barns (not his real name pending a lawsuit). "To me, something that costs $2,500 to replace, along the magnitude of these tires, should be able to last another 50,000 - 75,000 miles. I would understand if they were just $50 tires but as long as you take care and maintain them, tires like these should last a lot longer. I maintain them well: the wheels are always covered in the summer, I keep them clean and use Armorol treatment to keep the rubber supple. In other words, I'm doing everything I can and actively move my rig once a month to rotate the tires so that they don't get flat spots.

"Just with my knowledge of tires, I think they can potentially fail. They are starting to get cracks in the sidewalls and, although I am not seeing any delamination of the tread yet, it wouldn't surprise me if they fail sooner than later.

I sent an email to Goodyear saying 'Hey, I have been informed there might be a recall on these tires and I should contact you to arrange replacement or some compensation to correct the problem.' They just ignored me. I did some research and it is quite amazing how many different tire models Goodyear has recalled over the years.

It is pretty typical of a company like this to treat their consumers this way. A few years back I had a similar situation with BF Goodrich. The belting from inside the tires came apart and destroyed the tires and the wheels. In order to get them to own up to the problem, I had to pursue them legally. Once they were slapped with a lawsuit, they settled out of court...

You don't know what to buy anymore. To be honest, most of the public are ignorant about tires and these companies play off that - they hope that we will just buy new ones. If they want to come forward and take care of a portion of the expense so I can get new tires, I'll be satisfied. But I'm certainly not going to be paying out of my own pocket for the full amount, and if a tire fails and causes damage, I will definitely be pursuing them legally, should that time arise. I hope they step up before something like this happens. They should issue a nation-wide recall before people are injured or even killed."

Currently, the G159 is still on the market, even though Goodyear and some RV manufacturers have begun limited, "silent" recalls and tire replacement programs. It is estimated that thousands of RVs across the US have G159 tires.

Goodyear RV Tires Legal Help

If you or a loved one has suffered as a result of Goodyear RV Tires, please contact a [Goodyear RV Tires] lawyer who will evaluate your claim at no charge.

Here's the link to the above story
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...ar-recall.html

Here's a link to an ABC news story about Goodyear's Silent Recall
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95075&page=1

Here's one from Class Action America
http://www.classactionamerica.com/pu...ntCategoryID=1

Here's one from the St. Petersburg Times about Goodyear's cover-up of defective truck tires
http://www.sptimes.com/News/102101/W..._tire_pr.shtml

Here's one about dangerous Goodyear RV Tires
http://www.jlbreport.com/2006/07/10/...used-problems/

Here's a post on RVnet about an Airstreamer's blow-out
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...g/14137228.cfm

And here, on the 29th page of Goodyear's quarterly report filed with the SEC they acknowledge there are 5 class action suits against them for tire failures and their silent recall
http://www.secinfo.com/dsVS7.4Fa4j.htm

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote