Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #221

Fayetteville , North Carolina
Same problem on boat trailers...

Hi folks,

I just registered to pile on and let you know there are other trailer users having the same problems with Goodyear Marathons.

I'm an avid boater, a MasterCraft owner and I frequent the MasterCraft boating forums.

I've had some real problems with the tires that were mounted on my boat trailer when I bought it in 2007. So far four of the five tires have failed.

Anyway, I was Googling problems with Marathons, and one of the first links I found was this thread. The pictures the OP posted showing his failed tire look almost identical to the ones I posted on the MasterCraft site showing mine.

To make a long story longer, I got three replacement tires today, 100% warranty adjusted. A rare positive ending to a serious problem.

I suspect we MasterCraft afficianados are as enthusiastic about our boats as you are about your trailers, and they're not cheap either, so we're as fired-up about this as anyone.

I've attached a link to the thread I started on the MasterCraft forum on this subject. Thanks for letting me barge in! Happy trails! (We don't own an Airstream, but we do have a travel trailer from *another* brand...and love to camp / boat)

Goodyear Marathons ruin our first outing of the summer... - TeamTalk
Hrkdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #222
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Hrkdrivr, good photos. Many have had the same problems here. Which tires did you switch to?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #223

Phoenix, thanks! Bottom line, I got new Marathons that happened to be made in China. They were all that was available in town. I know all five of the tires that came with the trailer, four of which failed, were from New Zealand.

Here's what I posted on the MC site about the resolution of my problem (June 22nd):

Quote:
Well, today I went to the tire shop where I've done a good bit of business for my trucks. It's also the place I bought replacements for my first two Marathon blowouts. I took all five tires/wheels and spoke to the manager. This is a family-owned chain in the NC / SC area. Probably 15 stores total, but still personalized service...they remember your name when you walk in.

I explained that of the five OEM tires that came with the trailer, I now had four failures and zero confidence in the safety of the last OEM tire. He said he'd do what he could to work a warranty adjustment on the two failed tires and would check the third to see if it was about to fail. He said the other two newer tires I bought there looked ok, so I kept them.

After work I stopped by to see what the damage was. He was able to cover the three tires 100%...all I had to pay for was balancing and stems...$50.00 for three new skins. I was floored.

Mind you, these tires were made in 2004 and 2005. They had plenty of tread, but I was amazed he was able to cover them 100%.

Like I said in an earlier post, I like Goodyear product and wasn't slamming the company. They had a bad run of tires that unfortunately made their way onto our trailers. Here's a thread on the AirStream trailers forum I found a pic almost exactly like the one I posted:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ion-34105.html

This thread only took me one minute to find on a Google search; this wasn't just a boat-trailer problem.

Anyway, mad props to my local tire dudes and dudettes. They, and Goodyear, took good care of me and I'll be back...good business all around.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #224

By the way, here's what's riding on my Marathons...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1429.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	105561  
Old 06-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #225
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
You show me yours and I 'll show you mine!

Here is my 7400 #'s of plastic riding on some good boots. Since the rims are 14" in diameter it limits the choice of tires to a max load capacity of 1880 per tire. You do the math!

My stream is about 5000 #'s on 15" rims so I have a lot more to work with on that scenario.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat and van 004.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	105565  
Old 06-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #226
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I think it would be wise to switch to 15" or 16" tires and wheels. Your trailer should be easier to convert than an airstream.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #227
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Trailer tires

Your choice of tires should be driven by several factors, in my poinion.
First there is the weight of the loaded trailer, but that is tempered by yow far you haul the boat from the shelter to the water AND the speeds you travel at. Here in Norfolk VA boat ramps are every where and you will strain to reach 45 MPH in a lot of cases. In this instance the 14 inch tires should work fine with no problems even if the weight capacity is marginal and they are ST tires.
If you travel on the interstate and strive to keep up with traffic then I personally and travel for hours then my suggestion would be to go to 16 inch rims and LT tires because they will handle the heat of extended travel and the load range of the 16 LT tire covers about all instances.
My two cents worth
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote