Old 09-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #141
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
For years we have used Michelin 235/75R x 15" LTX Load Range "C" Tires to replace the Marathons. They last much longer don't loose their balance are more resistant to flats and ride smoother.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #142
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
Stingray

check this out
csgnetwork.com/tireinfocalc.html

Link didn't work, brother, even when I cut and pasted.

I was a 67N (UH-1 airframe crewchief, in case you're a Marine) many moons ago, btw.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Link didn't work, brother, even when I cut and pasted.

I was a 67N (UH-1 airframe crewchief, in case you're a Marine) many moons ago, btw.
Hi, I just typed, csgnetwork.com and go from there.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tires

StingrayL82
Weigh the trailer then refer to the tire pressure load chart for the correct pressure OR put the air pressure recommended by Airstream for your trailer/tire combination. Where people mess up is that they go to a higher Load Range and up the pressure to 80 PSI and beat the bejesus out of their trailer.
Beginner
Old 09-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossFam05BH View Post
Hey All,

It's summer and the GYM stories start appearing. We originated this thread and it is about time that we bring everyone up to date with our experience with Michelin XPS ribs. We now have 22,000 miles on the tires after 3 years, which includes one trip to Florida and 2 cross country trips to California from our home in North Carolina. During this summer's trip we spent a day driving across Oklahoma where the temperature reached 109 degrees. I do not see any appreciable wear (at most 1/32") on the tires. Sidewalls are in perfect shape. This next statement may seem heretical to most Airstreamer's, but I expect to get over 150,000 miles and 20 years of use per set of XPS ribs. The reason I believe this is that I have a 12000 pound utility trailer which has 10 year old XPS ribs. The tires look brand new, even though the trailer sits outside unprotected on my log yard, ready for use whenever I need it. A couple years ago one of the tires on the utility trailer went flat. I found a 3/8" bolt stuck in the tread. I took the tire in for a plug/patch, thinking at the time that the tire was probably ruined. To this day, the tire still keeps air and rolls true. One of our WBCCI unit members followed our lead and installed XPS ribs on his 2005 30' Classic after 2 out 4 of his original GYM's separated. After 2 1/2 years, he reports no problems or wear. The quality of this make of tire convinced us to spend the money and buy a set of 245's for our new tow vehicle, a 2002 Ford Excursion. They run quiet and show no wear after 8000 miles. Yes, we do pay a lot of money up front for these tires, but a separated GYM destroying the galley in our trailer would be much more expensive. Let me now step down from my soapbox.

Bye

Paul

The Michelin XPS are the best tires I've ever owned. I had them on my Land Rover and they last forever. My brother had them on his F250 and loved them, they don't seem to wear out. I wanted to buy them when I replace the tires on my F350 but they don't make them in a 20"
Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #146
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Hi Stingray,

I'm not a super tire expert, but it would seem to me that the ride harshness would come from the amount of air pressure that you run in the tires. I.E. the higher the pressure, the more rocklike they become.

What I have found with my trailer is that if I run my tires at 60 psi, it rides harshly enough to shake pictures off the walls. If I run them at their 65 psi max, it's even harder. But, if I back it down to 55 psi, the pictures all stay on the walls and I don't have salad bowls flying out of the overheads

I've seen charts that show you the load capacity of the tire vs. the air pressure. I.E. you are allowed more load capacity at max pressure than you are at 10psi under max.

In my own case, four of these tires at 65 psi could carry the gross weight of my trailer. I have six of them, so I'm way under capacity. I've done a not so technical test of take it out on the interstate on a hot day with 55psi, run her up to 75-80mph for about 20 miles, then pull off and go lay my hand atop the tire. It's never burnt me. Really wasn't even uncomfortably warm. If I had one of those infrared thermometers I'd tell you what the real temp is. But all I can tell you is that I could put my hand on it and it wasn't uncomfortable, so I'd say it's under 130 F anyway.

I guess one thing you do need to watch out for, as I believe others have mentioned on here, is over stressing your wheels. I don't think you have to worry with a D, but if you move up to a 10 ply E rated wheel and put 80 psi in it, you could possibly blow your rims apart. You'd want to make sure that your rims are OK for that pressure.

On a four wheel trailer, you'd probably want to run more like 60psi or maybe even up to 65psi on the D's. Since you have so much more weight per tire, you could run higher pressure than me and still have a decent ride.

On the size issue, I also originally had the 7.00R15 tires on my coach. But the dealership I stopped at (and I had to stop....I pulled my coach 40 miles on these other tires that were just begging to let go...I had to get something...) didn't have that size. We originally put on the 225/70 15 size of the UE-168. I had him to just mount one of them. It just didn't look right. Diameter was way too small.....it just didn't fill the wheel well out. So we went up to the 235/75 15 and it seemed to fill it nicely. I don't have a lot of extra clearance now. Probably a half inch to the outside, maybe 1.5" to the inside. But it doesn't hit the fender and I think it looks pretty nice. I had them install steel truck valves and spin balance the tires. The guys there couldn't understand why I wanted the wheels spun balanced...said they never balance trailer tires. I asked them why not? No real answer, they just never did. I said "Well, I want mine spun balanced just like you'd do for a car. These wheels turn just like the ones on a car, I want them balanced as such."

She cruises smooth as silk

But anyway, you might be able to fit the 235. The numbers don't sound like there's much difference between those and the 225, but visually it makes a big difference. The 225 didn't seem as tall as the 700R15, but was a little wider where the contact pattern hit the ground. The 235 is at least as tall as the 700R15, but are much wider in contact pattern. I think they look really good. They look more "modern", as in how modern cars tend to have wide tires compared to the skinny ones on older cars.

When I can't get these anymore, then I'll have to up the ante and get new 16" wheels. But for now, I'm good to go. And, I've got six polished aluminum mags that look really sharp on the old silver tube. No use to throw those out if I don't need to.

talk to you later,
Old 09-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #147
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Jim,

I was just looking through my Owner's Manual...here's what Airstream says:

"Your Airstream is equipped at the factory with name brand travel trailer tires. Airstream dealers cannot make adjustments to tires. This must be done by a dealer who handles that particular brand. If you ever have tire problems, check the local telephone directory for the nearest dealer.

To get the maximum performance from your tires:
1. Check the air pressure often, but only when the tires are cool and never bleed out air immediately after driving. Recommended tire Pressure for 7:00x15-6 ply is 45 psi, and for 7:00x15-8 ply is 60 psi."

So, I've been running 50 psi, since I bought the Carlisles...I wonder what the 5 psi difference will make?

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #148
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
SilverRanger,
I purchased the wheels through Discount Tire; they are American Racing OutlawII, rated to either 3200 or 3400 lbs (cannot remember specifically). I used high pressure metal valves as well.

I run at 80 lbs. I think the higher pressure works well on a single axle trailer.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
SilverRanger,
I purchased the wheels through Discount Tire; they are American Racing OutlawII, rated to either 3200 or 3400 lbs (cannot remember specifically). I used high pressure metal valves as well.

I run at 80 lbs. I think the higher pressure works well on a single axle trailer.
Thanks! I have been considering the 16" rims & tires for some time now.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #150
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
To get the maximum performance from your tires:
1. Check the air pressure often, but only when the tires are cool and never bleed out air immediately after driving. Recommended tire Pressure for 7:00x15-6 ply is 45 psi, and for 7:00x15-8 ply is 60 psi."

So, I've been running 50 psi, since I bought the Carlisles...I wonder what the 5 psi difference will make?

The owner's manual with your trailer is 30+ yo info. Tires (and tire construction) has changed a lot since then. As an example the tire size 7:00x15 isn't really used much any more.

If 50 does not exceed the tire side wall max at least you are OK with that. And weighing your fully rigged trailer is a better way of knowing what pressure to fill your tires. Most tire manufactures will publish lists of load capacity verus pressures. Carlisle does too
http://www.carlisletire.com/product_...are_safety.pdf

Typically the trailer manufacture will install tires (and wheels) that meet the total designed load, no more. And most trailer weight in use doesn't change as much TV weight. So TV tires will be way overkill in an unloaded situation. Trailers down't get unloaded much.

With that said Airstream Manufacturing is looking for a softer ride than that of most trailers. This is to keep the contents together and reduce stress on the shell which is designed to carry some load. So to accomplish this end the factory will recommend a lower tire pressure to give a softer ride.

So will the 5 extra pounds make much difference? The answer is not much and yes. Likely not much to the trailer because you have ST tires. And yes will give you some better mileage in wear and fuel economy. Likely the tires may run cooler with the 5 extra pounds. This all assumes the max pressure on the side wall of the tire is not exceeded. I believe the max on your tires is 50 pounds.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
one other thing that proper pressure does is give the tire the proper foot print on the ground. too much air will bulge out the center. too little air will make the tire ride on the edges. both cases are not good.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #152

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Tires that are run below the recommended pressure tend to run hot on the highway. Tires that are running hot have a much greater chance of experiencing a catastrophic failure.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #153
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Yesterday traveling south out of Atlanta on I-75, I heard a very loud boom!. Quickly checking the mirrors, I could see a 4-5 ft length of tire tread flailing the trailer. Rear tandem on the drivers side. I slowed immediately, watching next the PCV waste tubing scoot down the pavement. Folks, the black tank was not completely empty when that tubing severed.
Goodyear Marathons. Three years from manuf. date. About 10-12K on them. TT is level when towing. Not overloaded, or, speeding. 60-65 lbs pressure.
Damage appears to be the waste tubing and valves, two side curved under-panels, belt line trim, and wheel well trim. Also, the side panel is scratched up. It's the latter that worries me the most.
Tomorrow, the insurance claim adjuster will call. I'm concerned that this individual may not have quality experience in assessing AS damage. Concerned also that the scrathes can't just be rub out and re-clearcoated i.e. panel side panel replacement. Any thoughts on scratches through the clearcoat, and, in getting a fair damage estimate.
I'll upload some photos when I get a chance.

Thanks, Tom W
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Tom,
Take photos and send them to Airstream at Jackson Center and have them quote you a repair estimate. Give that to your insurance adjuster.
Al