Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2017, 02:21 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrossa View Post
. . .
. . . A two inch piece of a steel belt was sticking out of the inside tread side wall. I am so glad I pulled the wheels to balance them.
How many miles approx. were on these tires, and do you remember any hard impacts from pot holes, curb strikes, etc.?

Thanks for the report.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrossa View Post
It is true that the internet makes a nice vehicle to spread the good, bad and ugly. After being a loyal fan of the Forum I installed a TPMS after buying a used 2013 28 FC. I believe the piece of mind is priceless.
I have had no trouble with the Marathons but with the tires approaching 5 year mark I had already decided to put the Goodyear Endurance tires on when I change the tires.
I was readying to put the Airstream away and was doing some maintenance items. One item was to rebalance the tires. I balanced the first one fine. When I pulled the second wheel off I got a surprise. A two inch piece of a steel belt was sticking out of the inside tread side wall. I am so glad I pulled the wheels to balance them.

Glad you lucked out. A belt separation (what I suspect is what you have) does not happen overnight. In many cases it takes many hundreds or even thousand miles to "break-out"
Have you reviewed THIS post?

You migh also check my blog post on How to Properly Inspect trailer tires with a "Free Spin" inspection (video included)
Old 10-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
Marathons

I bought the Airstream in April. The previous owner thought it had approximately 5k miles on it. The tires looked like they had that many miles.
I think the tires now have about 10k miles. I had the wheels off in May to change the valve stems to heavy duty for installation of my TPMS.
The tires were fine then. I don’t recall hitting any pot holes. There will always be rough roads but don’t remember anything significant.
No curbs were hit.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
catching up with GYM thread...

We have 9K miles on our 2017, 28' FC, over the last 5 months. I check the stock GYM's religiously for air pressure, damage, and wear. I notice the tread wear now starting to show this trip to Alumalina...not liking the excessive wear after only 9K miles. I am moving to Michelin's when I get back to Austin. 4 AS's in 11 years; never had an issue with Michelins. I am now starting to worry with these original equipment, GYM's! Not worth the stress...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:52 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We have 9K miles on our 2017, 28' FC, over the last 5 months. I check the stock GYM's religiously for air pressure, damage, and wear. I notice the tread wear now starting to show this trip to Alumalina...not liking the excessive wear after only 9K miles. I am moving to Michelin's when I get back to Austin. 4 AS's in 11 years; never had an issue with Michelins. I am now starting to worry with these original equipment, GYM's! Not worth the stress...
What do you expect of a tire that costs $125 VS one that costs $185.....you always get what you pay for, there are no bargains out there...the michelins will end up costing less at the end of 5 years especially if a Chinese tire damages your as,which it usually does..
tjdonahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #46
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
To my knowledge, Michelin does not make ST type tires so I assume the Micheline tires will be LT type. Depending on size LT tires are rated for 10% to 20% lower load capacity than the same size ST type tires. If you are making the switch be sure you know the actual load on each tire (loads are seldom evenly split) and be sure your LT tires are rated appropriately.