1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Goodyear Marathon Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
My Yokohama's have seen 90mph.

I put my Yokohama tires on last week, (thanks for the tip RCarl) they haven't moved an inch yet, but I will give them a good tryout on the way to southern AZ in a week or so...

My biggest beef with my old ST tires was the tread life...

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Here is my take.

Modern tires can and do "just fail" on occasion, but in the vast majority of cases when they fail they are, or they have been run flat, or they have at some point received damage from a road hazard, curb, etc.

This is just my experience.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
HowieE, Any chance you have a higher res picture. I see some parts of your tire that may provide a clue but the areas of interest are out of focus.
No other pictures. That was pre digital. I think that was a result of a rim roll on a tight turn the night before. Something one has to watch with a tri axle and rough pavement.

On a return trip from Nova Scotia my friend called me when he got home saying he could not get his spreader between the tires on the passenger side. He thought he had bent an axle. I suggested he measure the dia. of the tires. They had each grown over an inch in dia. Had he driven another 10 miles he wuld have lost both of them. And for the record there is no one I know that doesn't check his running gear more often that he does.

In general if one has had any amount of mileage under their belt with Marathon Goodyear tires you will know why we don't use them. They were poor before they went to China and did not improve with that relocation.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #74
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Ownership & Manufacturing location change

"Carlisle is owned by.... ????'

Looking beyond Wikipedia's outdated info, I found an article dated Dec 31, 2013 stating Carlisle Industries sold its 'Transportation Products' division to American Industrial Partners. American Industrial Partners then operated the business as CTP Transportation Products (www.carlisletransportationproeucts.com) in 2014. Ownership morphed again in 2014 and the holding company who now operates CTP (headquartered in Franklin, Tn) is The Carlstar Group LLC. The Carlstar Group is transitioning production to the Americas as fast as financially viable. Some tire products are already being made using 'unused capacity in domestic tire manufacturing plants'????

Maybe folks need to check the label when deciding China versus US/Canada/Mexico on Carlisle tires now.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #75
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
No other pictures. That was pre digital. I think that was a result of a rim roll on a tight turn the night before. Something one has to watch with a tri axle and rough pavement.

On a return trip from Nova Scotia my friend called me when he got home saying he could not get his spreader between the tires on the passenger side. He thought he had bent an axle. I suggested he measure the dia. of the tires. They had each grown over an inch in dia. Had he driven another 10 miles he wuld have lost both of them. And for the record there is no one I know that doesn't check his running gear more often that he does.

In general if one has had any amount of mileage under their belt with Marathon Goodyear tires you will know why we don't use them. They were poor before they went to China and did not improve with that relocation.

Too bad. Here is a picture from a "Blowout" on an Airstream.
The pictures were captured from a video that was high enough quality I could see the evidence that supports the theory of Run Low. The full report is on my blog
Old 03-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #76

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One other thought about inflating your Marathon to 75 PSI to accommodate higher speeds. We always talk about cold inflation temperatures so in actuality the tire inflated to 75 psi may be carrying more inflation due to road and air temperatures. The side we haven't talked about is wheels. Some Airstream aluminum wheels have inflation limits stamped on them. Lets say your wheel is stamped at 80 psi. You inflate the tires to 75 and on a hot summer day that tire pressure exceeds 80 psi. Do wheel manufacturers build in a factor to cover higher pressures generated by heat? Personally inflating an ST tire to 10 psi over the limits of the sidewalls gives me willies if that inflation of the tire is pushing close to the limits of the wheels themselves.

I've not heard stories about wheel failures due to overinflation but on the other hand I've never met anyone who knowing carries tire pressures over the max inflation instructions.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Amen. Excellent point Jack.
No way in hell am I inflating a tire over the capacity rating stamped on the sidewall.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ranchos de Taos , New Mexico
RCarl and JMorgan, which Yokohama tire are you using? I love the Geolanders on my Jeep. Thanks Tom
Old 03-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #79
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
One other thought about inflating your Marathon to 75 PSI to accommodate higher speeds. We always talk about cold inflation temperatures so in actuality the tire inflated to 75 psi may be carrying more inflation due to road and air temperatures. The side we haven't talked about is wheels. Some Airstream aluminum wheels have inflation limits stamped on them. Lets say your wheel is stamped at 80 psi. You inflate the tires to 75 and on a hot summer day that tire pressure exceeds 80 psi. Do wheel manufacturers build in a factor to cover higher pressures generated by heat? Personally inflating an ST tire to 10 psi over the limits of the sidewalls gives me willies if that inflation of the tire is pushing close to the limits of the wheels themselves.

I've not heard stories about wheel failures due to overinflation but on the other hand I've never met anyone who knowing carries tire pressures over the max inflation instructions.

Jack
Good point Jack.

Ck the inside of your Alcoa wheels...

Bob
Old 03-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by twh731 View Post
RCarl and JMorgan, which Yokohama tire are you using? I love the Geolanders on my Jeep. Thanks Tom
RY215 Commercial Light Truck Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Goodyear Marathon Tires

I WANTED the tires RCarl has, but Discount tire said they were on nationwide backorder. They recommended Y742 S tires as a replacement...

I bought them. Not for everyone no doubt, but they fit the style of my trailer well. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1427160722.532624.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	234827

Those are still BRAND NEW, they haven't turned a single revolution on my trailer yet.

I NEEDED to keep my stock 15" rims and hub caps, so a good load range D LT tire was what I was looking for, RCarl put me on the Yokohama trail.

I would have rather had his RY215s, but I kind of like these Y742s too.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #82
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
..... Do wheel manufacturers build in a factor to cover higher pressures generated by heat? Personally inflating an ST tire to 10 psi over the limits of the sidewalls gives me willies if that inflation of the tire is pushing close to the limits of the wheels themselves. ....
First, the static bursting pressure of tires is many many times the largest value you will find on the sidewall or in the load tables. There is virtually no danger of a small amount of overinflation causing a problem - and it might even help.

Wheels? The best information I have been able to get is that the strength needed for a wheel is so highly dependent on the load, that inflation pressure isn't really a consideration. In other words, don't worry about inflation pressure maximums on wheels.

Background: There was a period of time when I visited websites for folks doing extreme fuel economy. One of their tricks is to inflate the tires well over the max pressure listed on the sidewall - and I mean well over 50 psi on a tire normally used at 35 psi. One of the questions was the effect this might have on the wheels. So far I have encountered 4 people who were more or less in a position to answer my question - and not one of them thought inflation pressure was a major factor in wheel strength - load was, but not pressure. I am now satisfied that this answer is probably correct, but I still have my ears open. In this particular case, I don't think the difference between 65 psi and 75 psi is worthy of worry.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:48 AM   #83
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
I want to talk a moment about tire failures and how tire engineers view the subject.

First, if a simple puncture isn't caught soon enough, the loss of pressure will result in a structural failure. So one of the first things I do when examining a failed tire is to look for punctures and repairs - and the best way to see those is from the inside.

I may not conclude the puncture or repair had anything to do with the failure, but without knowing that, I will not be able to eliminate those as a *cause of failure* - as virtually any failure could have been caused by those 2 items.

Needless to say, these can happen to any tire - and I don't think there is much difference between brands, or lines of tires. I know the events are random and there are quirks in statistics that say that even someone experiencing 4 punctures in a month is more a victim of those statistics than bad tires. It would be very difficult to convince said person, but the odds of that happening are still within the possibilities.

After I look for punctures and repairs, I look at the overall pieces I have. I know that a tire that was run flat will result in 3 distinct pieces - with some variation. The 3 pieces are the tread and the 2 sidewalls. I say "with some variation" as the severity depends on how far the tire has been driven. It is possible to see *Run Flat* damage in a tire that experienced a puncture at speed and was stopped immediately. Those several hundred feet still can cause a lot of damage.

And lastly, any tire can be caused to fail. Run a tire severely underinflated (or severely overloaded) and it will fail. The trick in examining tires is to see those effects. It's what both Roger and I did for the companies we worked for. They needed to know what the true situation was when tires were returned. In other words, did the tire need some tweaking to be able to perform adequately or was the failure the result of something beyond what tire design and manufacturing could fix? And our job was to sort that out for them.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #84
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
So...I am ready to remove my 15" wheels/tires from my 2012 28' FC and replace with 16" wheels and Michelin LT's. So..my question to you'all is...what is the wheel width of the 15" wheel. I couldn't find it in any of my manual data. Also..it would seem very important to get the wheel bolt depth correct. So assuming I want to stay with the same width how do I spec the depth?

For information, I am removing the stock GYM at 3.5years and 25k miles. I have had no failures but have a number of friends that have.