Old 02-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
A tire can't really "explode" unless it's a split rim. That is nothing will come flying off. If it burst or the rim bead gave way it will certainly "sound" like an explosion though! When tire pieces form shrapnel going down the highway it's because of the rotation of the tire flinging off bits.

Since you have to deflate to install might as well have that step taken care of. I believe manufacturers recommend long term storage at a lower pressure anyway (when not supporting the vehicle weight). And if it's sitting out in the sun it's possible the tire compartment is going to be warmer than when you inflated the tire creating higher pressure.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #114
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
XPS tires & wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
We had an identical problem with the Goodyear Marathons, fortunately with no damage. After quite a bit of research I changed to 16" wheels and Michelin XPS rib tires. Personally I will never again have any brand of ST tires on any trailer I own. Good luck with the repairs. Jerry
Hi Jerry, I have a 2004 classic w/s. I had the same problem with Carlisle tires and had thousands of dollars of damage done. When you changed to 16" wheels and XPS tires did you have to do any mods to the wheel well areas etc?? I want to replace my existing setup to exactly your upgrade.
Rich Gallagher

Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #115
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
A tire can't really "explode" unless it's a split rim. That is nothing will come flying off. If it burst or the rim bead gave way it will certainly "sound" like an explosion though! When tire pieces form shrapnel going down the highway it's because of the rotation of the tire flinging off bits.

Since you have to deflate to install might as well have that step taken care of. I believe manufacturers recommend long term storage at a lower pressure anyway (when not supporting the vehicle weight). And if it's sitting out in the sun it's possible the tire compartment is going to be warmer than when you inflated the tire creating higher pressure.
POI...IF and only IF you NOTICE the tire flapping, gently apply just your trailer brakes , thus stopping the offending wheel. Get to the shoulder ASAP.

ummm... how to apply the the brake automatically on one tire if it looses pressure on a multi-axle unit???? .... or maybe just some three inch spikes sticking down to rip it off before it smashes everything up.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I think the idea of applying the trailer brakes is a good one. It is not the need to have independent control of the tire that is flat. Since the tire is flat and has less contact with the road surface the chances are good that when you apply the trailer brakes the tire will stop rotating or at least be slowed down significantly where it may not cause significant damage. Even if it is stopped completely and drags on the road, the goal of preventing damage to the trailer has been accomplished.
The biggest problem I see is recognizing the fact that there is a tire problem. By the time you see it on the pressure monitoring system it could be too late. It is very hard to see the condition of the tires when traveling down the road. I find I can make limited observation with the rear view mirrors when turning but it's difficult to see the tires when the trailer is directly behind the TV.
Has anyone considered using wireless cameras to monitor the tires?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Often, but not always, a blowout is preceded by a loss of pressure, which your TPMS will pick up.
Even a defective tire (tread separation, etc.) will leak before it finally fails catastrophically many times. Often the flying apart is due to heat buildup as pressure falls.....but not always.

Road hazards may or may not immediately "blow out", depending on size of rupture. Again a TPMS may catch a significant percentage of ultimate trailer ripping failures.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I agree with dznf0g. I disagree with applying the trailer brakes only. If a tire is on the verge of failing the extra load caused by braking could be what pushes it over the edge. I'd coast to a stop in a safe spot as soon as possible. Use engine compression if possible by down shifting from drive but keep it smooth.

A TPMS is ideal but also still quite expensive. Next best gadget I think is an infrared thermometer. Harbor Freight sells one that works quite well for $40 (less on sale). Most belt separation happens over a period of time that heat build-up should clue you in if you check the tires every time you stop and it's a lot quicker, and more fun , to use the IR gun than manually checking tire pressure. But it's not a substitute for checking TP at the start of each day.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #119
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink Pay attention....

[QUOTE=bhayden;..... I disagree with applying the trailer brakes only [/QUOTE]

'Ya Gott'a read closer ......"POI...IF and only IF you NOTICE the tire flapping, gently apply just your trailer brakes , thus stopping the offending wheel. Get to the shoulder ASAP."

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
My feeling is that if the tire is already flapping applying the trailer breaks is the worse thing you can do. It's like pushing the button on the detonator. YMMV
Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think the point with "flapping" is the tire already has blown and the carcass is shredding and slapping against the wheel well and skin. In this case, I agree...manually applying the trailer brake lightly will stop the blown wheel from spinning while the others still are able to rotate under light braking. This can and will minimize damage to the trailer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #122
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I think the point with "flapping" is the tire already has blown and the carcass is shredding and slapping against the wheel well and skin. In this case, I agree...manually applying the trailer brake lightly will stop the blown wheel from spinning while the others still are able to rotate under light braking. This can and will minimize damage to the trailer.
Yes, stop the flapping and get stopped.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I don't agree. If it's blown and shedding chunks that last thing you want to do is stress it further. Highly unlikely that with a tandem axle you'll just stop the bad wheel from turning. With a single axle the result is even more devastating. The idea that putting extra stress on a system that is already overloaded makes no sense from an engineering perspective.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #124
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Well now..... that's the last word on that subject.

Back on track...

My Chyna GYM's are better than your Tiwanese Maxxis'.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 02-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
I don't agree. If it's blown and shedding chunks that last thing you want to do is stress it further. Highly unlikely that with a tandem axle you'll just stop the bad wheel from turning. With a single axle the result is even more devastating. The idea that putting extra stress on a system that is already overloaded makes no sense from an engineering perspective.

OH, single axle, I agree with you....I have a tendency to think about tandems only. With a tandem, the blown tire is just kind of hanging there, suspended, anyway (you can run down the road with an AS with one wheel off to get a flat fixed). In this case, there is virtually no stress on the blown tire. It'll just kind of drag along with it's "flaps" dragging the ground.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #126
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
We picked up our trailer from Griffith RV last month and the repairs Tom did are excellent. I picked it up during an approaching thunderstorm with the threat of hail and was quickly wanting to get ahead of the storm. Darla was removing the lock and commented Tom had moved the trailer inside several times when there was a chance for bad weather. These are the kind of people you are dealing with when you do business with Tom and Darla. Very good down to earth people. They treat your property well when you put it in their care. We camped the next week with my parents (they have a 90 model AS) and my dad said you couldn't even tell the trailer had ever been damaged. I strongly recommend Tom if you are in need of having panel replacement. It was a long trip for our trailer to travel for repairs but well worth it once I got it back. You can see my earlier post for damage pics. I'll post the repair pics in the next few weeks......steve