Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think the point with "flapping" is the tire already has blown and the carcass is shredding and slapping against the wheel well and skin. In this case, I agree...manually applying the trailer brake lightly will stop the blown wheel from spinning while the others still are able to rotate under light braking. This can and will minimize damage to the trailer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #122
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I think the point with "flapping" is the tire already has blown and the carcass is shredding and slapping against the wheel well and skin. In this case, I agree...manually applying the trailer brake lightly will stop the blown wheel from spinning while the others still are able to rotate under light braking. This can and will minimize damage to the trailer.
Yes, stop the flapping and get stopped.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I don't agree. If it's blown and shedding chunks that last thing you want to do is stress it further. Highly unlikely that with a tandem axle you'll just stop the bad wheel from turning. With a single axle the result is even more devastating. The idea that putting extra stress on a system that is already overloaded makes no sense from an engineering perspective.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #124
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Well now..... that's the last word on that subject.

Back on track...

My Chyna GYM's are better than your Tiwanese Maxxis'.

Bob
Old 02-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
I don't agree. If it's blown and shedding chunks that last thing you want to do is stress it further. Highly unlikely that with a tandem axle you'll just stop the bad wheel from turning. With a single axle the result is even more devastating. The idea that putting extra stress on a system that is already overloaded makes no sense from an engineering perspective.

OH, single axle, I agree with you....I have a tendency to think about tandems only. With a tandem, the blown tire is just kind of hanging there, suspended, anyway (you can run down the road with an AS with one wheel off to get a flat fixed). In this case, there is virtually no stress on the blown tire. It'll just kind of drag along with it's "flaps" dragging the ground.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #126
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
We picked up our trailer from Griffith RV last month and the repairs Tom did are excellent. I picked it up during an approaching thunderstorm with the threat of hail and was quickly wanting to get ahead of the storm. Darla was removing the lock and commented Tom had moved the trailer inside several times when there was a chance for bad weather. These are the kind of people you are dealing with when you do business with Tom and Darla. Very good down to earth people. They treat your property well when you put it in their care. We camped the next week with my parents (they have a 90 model AS) and my dad said you couldn't even tell the trailer had ever been damaged. I strongly recommend Tom if you are in need of having panel replacement. It was a long trip for our trailer to travel for repairs but well worth it once I got it back. You can see my earlier post for damage pics. I'll post the repair pics in the next few weeks......steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #127

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Mary
We picked up our trailer from Griffith RV last month and the repairs Tom did are excellent. I picked it up during an approaching thunderstorm with the threat of hail and was quickly wanting to get ahead of the storm. Darla was removing the lock and commented Tom had moved the trailer inside several times when there was a chance for bad weather. These are the kind of people you are dealing with when you do business with Tom and Darla. Very good down to earth people. They treat your property well when you put it in their care. We camped the next week with my parents (they have a 90 model AS) and my dad said you couldn't even tell the trailer had ever been damaged. I strongly recommend Tom if you are in need of having panel replacement. It was a long trip for our trailer to travel for repairs but well worth it once I got it back. You can see my earlier post for damage pics. I'll post the repair pics in the next few weeks......steve
I felt the same way! He had mine and another AS in the shop when I picked it up due to severe weather in the area and let me re install and work on my hitch inside out of the rain, in fact Tom took the day off since his bays were full of trailers! Let just say the Bambi passed all her leak tests since the rain was coming down in buckets that night.

I had a closer option but Hiwheeljoe recommended them and I will go back if I ever need body work again! I'm glad you were as happy as I was!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #128
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Tallahassee , Florida
New tire pressure for 16 inch tires

I am in the process of swithching over to the 225 75 16 bf goodwich ta tires. they are e rated and going on a 1996 25 ft excella. To the question, what tire pressure have your'll found that works good with the E rated tire.

Also have you had to change the height of the hitch head, since the tiles make the trailer sit a little higher?

I also had a Marathon tire failure with damage. No warning, just came apart. Still had 50 lbs of pressure in the tire.
jasper2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #129
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My AS has a listed 65pounds for the tires according to tag on the trailer. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #130

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
While this came from a Goodyear site, inflating a 225 75 16 LT tire to 65 lbs will allow for a tire load of 2,335 lbs on a D rated tire. 80 psi will allow for a tire load of 2,680 lbs on an E rated tire.

According to Goodyear's chart, their typical LT tire will lose 10% of it's load capacity once you hit 76+ mph.

An E rated tire is probably overkill on a 25' Airstream. I'm using E rated ST tires on my 30' Classic but I'm carrying close to 8,200 lbs dry, due to my slide out. Add a full fresh water tank and typical camping gear, I probably around 8,800 lbs.

"The Tire and Rim Association permits tire load increases, often with increased inflation pressure, for both Truck-Bus tires and Light Truck tires used on improved surfaces at reduced operating speeds. In addition, the Tire and Rim Association also permits operating a 65 mph-rated tire at higher speeds with a reduced load and increased inflation.
(The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company does not condone or recommend operating speeds above posted limits.) Goodyear accepts these increases, and they are published in
our truck tire engineering data book. Rim and wheel manufacturers mark their products with a maximum load and inflation. This applies regardless of operating speed. The rim/wheel manufacturer must be contacted to determine if any deviation is permitted in the marked maximum load and inflation capacity of the rim or wheel at the operating condition in question. For further details and a worksheet covering the use of these tables."

Here is a link to the site. http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/da...dInflation.pdf

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #131
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So 50 pounds is not enough? Jim
Old 06-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #132

Fenton , Missouri
GVW on a '96 25' Excella is 7300 lbs. That comes out to 1,825 lbs per tire. If he had D rated tires, technically the load should have been covered and a C rated tire should have handled 2,150 lbs. The missing piece to this is the speed that was being towed. Too high a speed could have cut some of that load rating.

But again as many of us have learned, ST tires sometimes just fail, even though we do everything to maintain them and keep them inflated correctly.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #133
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If that is true then why is there a sign on the side of my AS that says to inflate to 65 pounds. Jim
Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I am a bit confused. Any recommendations for the best 15" LT for my 65 Safari? I always thought LT's did not have the sidewall strength needed for a trailer.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #135

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
I am a bit confused. Any recommendations for the best 15" LT for my 65 Safari? I always thought LT's did not have the sidewall strength needed for a trailer.
I always was told that there were two reasons for the ST tire. One was for the sidewall flexibility needed when dealing with a tandem axle. I've seen someone doing a back in pop the tire bead while doing a hard pivot (tires were not at proper inflation level). The other reason was supposedly extra UV protection in an ST to counter the periods of direct sun exposure. Auto and truck tires rotate more often and don't have the same exposure levels.

The forum folks here though have a lot of good experiences with LT's.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Thanks Jack,

May be a good set of Michelin LT's would work well for my single axle Safari.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This happened to my Bro-in-Law this past weekend:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0093.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	223957

Although I wasn't there to see in person, at first glance at the photo, I immediately thought "tread separation". The tech said it looked like a slice in a portion of the split, and I do find it odd that it "separated" in a smiley face. We'll probably never know.

2012 30' Classic with about 15K on it. Original tires. Lightly loaded, but never been on scales.

Fortunately, TPMS gave ample warning of impending doom.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Manufacturing/design defect. No way this was caused by road debris. I just had to deal with a sliced tire. It's a clean cut through the cords. And the culprit is most likely going to stay embedded in the tire.

Reading back a couple of posts:
Quote:
The other reason was supposedly extra UV protection in an ST to counter the periods of direct sun exposure.
Total BS. You're going to tell me that your light truck is never exposed to UV? Come on. With a trailer it's reasonable to put covers over the tires. On a truck you drive every day; not so much. Ah, why is it you need tire covers for your trailer with the ST tires and not for the TV???
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This happened to my Bro-in-Law this past weekend:

Attachment 223957

Although I wasn't there to see in person, at first glance at the photo, I immediately thought "tread separation". The tech said it looked like a slice in a portion of the split, and I do find it odd that it "separated" in a smiley face. We'll probably never know.

2012 30' Classic with about 15K on it. Original tires. Lightly loaded, but never been on scales.

Fortunately, TPMS gave ample warning of impending doom.
First thought when looking at the photo is that the tire wear pattern sure looks like it may have been under inflated for a lot of miles?

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #140
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeikle View Post
First thought when looking at the photo is that the tire wear pattern sure looks like it may have been under inflated for a lot of miles?

George
No, he has TPMS and runs at sidewall pressure. HOWEVER, I did note that he has some odd wear patterns on several of the tires. I believe he does have a slight alignment problem. But that didn't cause the tread separation. I also think his tires are more rounded or humped across the tread than I remember my Marathons....like belts are failing.

Says he is going to get all new before out trip to the Keys next spring. I've got a few months to talk him out of STs.