Old 12-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole-red View Post
Sorry for the mess, the information on the above was in 2004......
Thanks, I wanted to make sure we weren't missing something.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
After reading through this thread and several other threads, Iím developing Marathon paranoia. Iíve been running Marathons for a dozen years (not the same tires), and since Iím getting ready to replace them, Iíve been reading these comments with interest. Iím conflicted, somewhat akin to the old Bob Seger lyrics that ďÖI wish I didnít know now what I didnít know thenĒ.

Your wheel wells must be larger than my 25-footer. The most restrictive part on mine is the distance between the front wheel well trim and the tire, which is currently only about ĺĒ. Stepping up to 16Ē is appealing, but for my rig Iím nervous about that proximity to the trim.

Did you make modifications, or did the wheel wells become larger in recent years or with the longer trailers?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiak View Post
After reading through this thread and several other threads, Iím developing Marathon paranoia. Iíve been running Marathons for a dozen years (not the same tires), and since Iím getting ready to replace them, Iíve been reading these comments with interest. Iím conflicted, somewhat akin to the old Bob Seger lyrics that ďÖI wish I didnít know now what I didnít know thenĒ.

Your wheel wells must be larger than my 25-footer. The most restrictive part on mine is the distance between the front wheel well trim and the tire, which is currently only about ĺĒ. Stepping up to 16Ē is appealing, but for my rig Iím nervous about that proximity to the trim.

Did you make modifications, or did the wheel wells become larger in recent years or with the longer trailers?
Sorry, I can't answer the question of whether a 16" rim/tire will fit in a 25'. We had absolutely no problem with the 30'. I guess the next step would be to measure a 30' and compare to you own. AS should be able to advise you as well. Good Luck.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
Sorry, I can't answer the question of whether a 16" rim/tire will fit in a 25'. We had absolutely no problem with the 30'. I guess the next step would be to measure a 30' and compare to you own. AS should be able to advise you as well. Good Luck.
Likewise, I'd guess I'm at 3/4" AFTER the 16" install.

I would say that if you CAN'T do the 16's, your next best bet might be the LRD 15" Michelin's discussed above or maybe the Continentals discussed above. I would not buy another set of GYMs.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #75
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:

There are a few on here that have the 16" wheels on a 25-footer. moosetags is one. Do some searching on here and you will find them.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Thanks dznf0g, I’m assuming you’re referring to the Michelin LTX M/S2, 235/75R15. That tire would be about .15 inches closer to the forward trim, bringing the gap between the tire and the trim to about .60 inches.

Thanks RLS for the tip on other 25-footers that have bumped up to 16 inch wheels. I’ll review the posts specifically for that.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks dznf0g, I’m assuming you’re referring to the Michelin LTX M/S2, 235/75R15. That tire would be about .15 inches closer to the forward trim, bringing the gap between the tire and the trim to about .60 inches.

Thanks RLS for the tip on other 25-footers that have bumped up to 16 inch wheels. I’ll review the posts specifically for that.
Yes. Do you know what your weight is, on the axles, loaded and ready for travel?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
It varies, of course, but tends to run about 3200# per axle.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
It varies, of course, but tends to run about 3200# per axle.
If that's relatively consistent, you should be OK with the XL Michelins or the Continentals.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:

BTW, the definition of paranoia is "the belief that someone is out to get you". Based on the number of Marathon "issues", it's not a belief....they are really out to get you. That's not paranoia.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Actually, I'm convinced the paranoids are out to get me.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Kamiak, relax, I've had the 16's and BF GOODRICH Commercial T/A's on my own 1997 25' Excella for years and thousands and thousands of miles and not a single issue. You can read my posts here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1067516 It is the post that started the switch to 16's and it's one of the very best things I've done for my trailer.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Kamiak, relax, I've had the 16's and BF GOODRICH Commercial T/A's on my own 1997 25' Excella for years and thousands and thousands of miles and not a single issue. You can read my posts here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1067516 It is the post that started the switch to 16's and it's one of the very best things I've done for my trailer.
Bob, thanks for the additional information.

No doubt owing to production variability, with my wheel wells that 1/2" increase in radius puts the tire to within a 1/4" of the wheel well trim...which seems kinda close to me. I'm going to take a close look at the 15" Continentals before I make a bold move up to 16's.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Lake Oswego , Oregon
ole-red: Marathon blow-out reports always pique my interest, since I had two of my own on our '05 16' CCD, so happened to be scanning this thread and saw your reference to a David Winick Custom.
We bought a David Winick early last year, and didn't want to take any trips until replacing the 15" Marathons, so bought the correct 16" steel rims with Michelin XPS Rib tires. I did not want to change the style of wheel on the David Winick Custom, so stayed with steel wheels.
If you're interested in 16" steel wheels with baby moons, or anyone else for that matter, look for the Dexstar "Conventional", model # 017-235-25. It's the correct width, bolt pattern, and zero offset, 3040 pound rated, and they offer the baby moon hub caps as well. The wheels only come in gray, so I had mine satin black powder-coated.
Dexstar Wheel Company Trailer Rims and Wheels