Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
DuBois , Pennsylvania
Steve and Mary,
I am sorry to read about your misfortune but am glad to understand that beyond rattled nerves, you folks are OK.

Your post is very timely and makes me look at our Airstream with a questioning eye. My wife and I have an 06 31' Classic that we purchased new but doesn't get out much. I would guess 6 trips plus the pull home from Jersey. It still has the initial fill-up propane in the tanks!

While the tires look like they are new and they have few miles, it sounds like your 08 was in a similar state. We had the trailer out in the fall and after I backed the trailer onto these orange stackable leveling squares we use, it looked like the sidewall had crazing on it.

While the idea of switching out low mile rims/tires for a set of new 16's and LT Michelins wasn't in my thoughts....I am really looking at the upgrade.
Will they fit our trailers without any kind of rubbing problems?

I have a car trailer that also runs 225-75-15 Marathons. The last time I had it out I blew a rear which further fuels my concerns.

I would appreciate any information you or any other Airstreamer reading this post can share.

Thanks to all,
John

Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #44

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I Just put on Maxxis this summer and I like them, nice ride etc. here's their info

http://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Tra...ST-Radial.aspx

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:10 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
John...I'm still undecided whether or not to go to the 16 inch wheels. It does sound like the best way to go but I'm leaning more towards replacing what I have with LT tires. I like Michelin tires and the LTX M/S2 P235/75R15 appears to be a good match for what I have. I'm going to get away from the trailer type tire. We also have a car hauler and last Oct. we were about to leave for a trip on the Ms. coast when I also noticed some sidewall cracking. I had cleaned the trailer the month before and not noticed anything. Both trailers sit under a large awning and even though the car hauler has tires on one side exposed to the sun, I keep a vynil cover over the tires and wheels. Long story short....I had four new LT tires installed and $850 later we were on our way. You will be wise to go ahead and replace your tires now. I wish I had read up more on the GYM issues. Maybe I would have had new tires installed before we made the trip. We are looking at not having use of our trailer for probably six months and we could be out the deductable if GY decides not to pick up the repair expenses. Hope this helps..........steve
Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Mary View Post
John...I'm still undecided whether or not to go to the 16 inch wheels. It does sound like the best way to go but I'm leaning more towards replacing what I have with LT tires. I like Michelin tires and the LTX M/S2 P235/75R15 appears to be a good match for what I have. I'm going to get away from the trailer type tire. We also have a car hauler and last Oct. we were about to leave for a trip on the Ms. coast when I also noticed some sidewall cracking. I had cleaned the trailer the month before and not noticed anything. Both trailers sit under a large awning and even though the car hauler has tires on one side exposed to the sun, I keep a vynil cover over the tires and wheels. Long story short....I had four new LT tires installed and $850 later we were on our way. You will be wise to go ahead and replace your tires now. I wish I had read up more on the GYM issues. Maybe I would have had new tires installed before we made the trip. We are looking at not having use of our trailer for probably six months and we could be out the deductable if GY decides not to pick up the repair expenses. Hope this helps..........steve
Steve, please note that your tire choice here is NOT a true LT tire. It is an XL (extended load) p-metric tire. Without looking it up...it's max load it somewhere around 2000 - 2100lbs. With your rig, you're pretty close to 7500#s on the ground, loaded and ready to go. (at least I am.) That's too close to maxing out the tires for my taste!

IMHO, you need to got to 16" wheels and the LT225/75 R16s instead.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
DuBois , Pennsylvania
dznf0g,
As we all have similar trailers, what set up did you go with?

I ask this because I am wrestling with the rim style and was looking for some different viewpoints.

You are correct about the XL tires. I remember Goodyear did something like that with their P-metric truck tires offering both a standard and extra load version of their Wrangler truck tire. It didn't have the same case as their LT series tires.

Thanks for the information...

John
Old 12-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamin View Post
dznf0g,
As we all have similar trailers, what set up did you go with?

I ask this because I am wrestling with the rim style and was looking for some different viewpoints.

You are correct about the XL tires. I remember Goodyear did something like that with their P-metric truck tires offering both a standard and extra load version of their Wrangler truck tire. It didn't have the same case as their LT series tires.

Thanks for the information...

John
I went:

Tredit T02 16" wheels:

T02

And Michelin LTX MS LT225/75 R16

Michelin LTX M/S

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Tredit wheels

I just got off the internet, and there are several rims, by Tredit that are being recalled....You may want to check....One post suggested Sendel rims.....
Old 12-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole-red View Post
I just got off the internet, and there are several rims, by Tredit that are being recalled....You may want to check....One post suggested Sendel rims.....
Thanks, where did you see the info?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Looks like they are all 15" painted steel boat trailer and a few OE travel trailer wheels. Did you see aluminum wheels recalled anywhere?

This was 2010 http://recallcast.com/recalls/tag/tredit%20tire/

There were 2 others but one was 1886 and one was 2005.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #52
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Steve, please note that your tire choice here is NOT a true LT tire. It is an XL (extended load) p-metric tire. Without looking it up...it's max load it somewhere around 2000 - 2100lbs. With your rig, you're pretty close to 7500#s on the ground, loaded and ready to go. (at least I am.) That's too close to maxing out the tires for my taste!

IMHO, you need to got to 16" wheels and the LT225/75 R16s instead.

Not true. Look at the Continental Vanco 2 tire. It is a 15" commercial tire for van buses, rated at 2,470 lbs. Now put your thumb and finger together to show a 1/2" space. That is how little the trailer will be lowered. Look at the specs and read up on it.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Not true. Look at the Continental Vanco 2 tire. It is a 15" commercial tire for van buses, rated at 2,470 lbs. Now put your thumb and finger together to show a 1/2" space. That is how little the trailer will be lowered. Look at the specs and read up on it.
That wasn't his choice upon which I commented! He chose a Michelin LTX M/S2.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #54
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
That wasn't his choice upon which I commented! He chose a Michelin LTX M/S2
Sorry, Guess I was reading to much into the "IMHO, you need to got to 16" wheels and the LT225/75 R16s instead"

I read all these posts saying there is nothing out there in a 15" tire, that is simply not true. Sure, If I had extra money to burn, the 16" is great. But is it Really neccessary? I myself, feel if Continental is making these for van buses to haul around people, it should be a decent tire and the specs. are what I feel comfortable with. JMHO !!
AIR #30685
Old 12-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Sorry, Guess I was reading to much into the "IMHO, you need to got to 16" wheels and the LT225/75 R16s instead"

I read all these posts saying there is nothing out there in a 15" tire, that is simply not true. Sure, If I had extra money to burn, the 16" is great. But is it Really neccessary? I myself, feel if Continental is making these for van buses to haul around people, it should be a decent tire and the specs. are what I feel comfortable with. JMHO !!
I would want to know more about the sidewall construction. I am somewhat bewildered by no designation. There is no "P", "LT", "XL"....nothing... If you blow up the pic it shows "235/65 R16 C 115/113R". I know that's not the size your talking about, but how do they get by with no P,LT, or XL designation?

Old 12-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #56
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
I would want to know more about the sidewall construction. I am somewhat bewildered by no designation. There is no "P", "LT", "XL"....nothing... If you blow up the pic it shows "235/65 R16 C 115/113R". I know that's not the size your talking about, but how do they get by with no P,LT, or XL designation?
Continental's site says 225/70R 15C 112/110 or D. The C after the 15" means commercial. The side wall reads; tread 6 ply, 2 polyester, 2 steel, 2 nylon. The sidewallis 2 ply polyester. The side wall also states load range D. This is being read off of my tires, not any web site. They are not LT or XL tires, they are commercial tires, rated D.

AIR #30685