Old 07-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
GoodYear Marathon ST Tires and NHTSA

I've been doing a lot of reading regarding tires as I need to replace the ST205/75R14's that are on my 1998 25B Airstream. From what I've read, the Marathon's appear to be a real problem so I decided to look at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's web site Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to see what complaints have been filed.

Here on the Air Forums there appear to be hundreds of post regarding Marathon failures but there are only 14 complaints that have been filed with the NHTSA and only one by an Airstream owner.

You can look at these complaints at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchTires

You'd think that with only the failures mentioned on this site that there would be loads of complaints filed but there are not.

Would some of you that have had Marathon failures consider filing a report? The Marathon used to be a good tire and if enough reports are filed then maybe Goodyear will correct the problems the current tire has.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
not trying to start an argument but i am sure most AS or for that matter SOB owner would not take the time to file a complaint with NHTSA on a "lame" tire..

I know i have had an issue with pepboy tires which are made by cooper tires. they would not stay balanced, even after the tire shop told me the factory wheels were warped.. I got new wheels and still had same issues.. after reading some forums i got a clue copper tire suck so i changed manf of tire.

I just did what every one eles does and shop with my feet. I change over to bridgestone and Michelin tires and have no issues with tires now but i would not go to ntsb to report the tires..

most owners in the know would come to a forum like this to ask about tire issues as you can see by all the threads about GYM tires.. they would figure out after reading about tire after tire failure some iwth little to no miles and see what other are going to and how they are holding up..

I am not a RV, AS or other wise, owner at this time but i can tell you just in what I am reading here when i do get a AS it will not have for very long GYM tires on it..

this is just my 2 centsj worth but i feel there is alot of other owners that agree with that..

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
If tire failures aren't reported to NHTSA, don't be surprised that they don't react.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The problem is two fold. I wouldn't doubt that cause for failure is pretty hard to prove. Goodyear will note excessive speed, overload, and insufficient tire pressures are the cause of failures. Hard to prove a defect when all you have left is a shredded tire. The second problem is the majority of travel trailers OEM with Goodyear's. I dare say that while the number of failed tires are formable, you probably wold find that the % of failed non Goodyear ST tires is probably comparable to Goodyears. The problem comes down to ST tire construction and when used on heavy trailers and higher summer road temps, these tires just don't hold up. After two different brands of ST tires on my Classic, I'm convinced it's an ST issue.

Personally I chose to move past the hassle of attempting to prove my tires were defective and went with LT's. Only when the customers either refuse to buy trailers with ST's (hard to believe this will ever happen), or manufacturers of trailers learn that customers want tire options (like Airstream), will we see a turn around in OEM tires.

The issues we bring forth here are echoed on other RV forums. This isn't just an Airstream/ST problem.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Problem is if enough complaints are logged with the NHTSA then an investigation will be launched into the GYM. If everyone has the attitude that it is not worth the time to file the complaint then there are going to be many more trailers damaged be it airstream or SOB. If I had a problem with the GYM and I knew that it was not from my own stupidity then I would gladly file a complaint.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
As I said among other things in a PM to the OP, personally I don't care if they "solve" the problems with defectively built ST tires.

Part of the reason I will not buy ANY ST tire is this bogus cheap azz nonsense of a tire only being good for 65 mph and 3 to 5 years.
For just a few dollars more I can buy a LT that does not carry those handicaps.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Some of us have benefitted from reading on the forum about the negative GYM ST tire experiences that have happened to these posters. Thus, I replaced my GYM ST tires as soon as I got the unit home from the dealership.

I do not know what CostCo did with the takeoff GYM tires with under 500 miles on them, but I hope they were sent to the tire shredder.

Having installed five of the Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires, I will miss out on the opportunity(?) to have the side of my trailer wiped out by an ST tire.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Utility, horse, boat and travel trailers all have experienced GYM failures. Then, the owners switched to another brand of ST tires; and some of those failed. So, over time, trailer owners accepted the fact that all brands of ST tires are just going to blowout sometimes. Those that had so many failures that they got tired of wasting money prematurely replacing ST tires and repairing trailer damage, looked for and found better LT tires; and they switched.

The number of ST tire users is so small compared to passenger cars and light trucks, that ST tire failures just don't show up on anyone's RADAR, except the individual changing one on the side of the road.

NHTSA would take notice if people were killed when tires failed, like with Firestone tires on Ford Explorers a few years ago. Alternately, if trailers burned and/or exploded, that might also get people's attention because of the exciting video clips on the evening news. However, since ST tires are only used on trailers (which don't carry passengers); and the trailers rarely explode or burn, this problem will probably never catch anyone's' attention except the few organized user forums like this one; and those groups are so comparatively small that they don't have any traction in initiating changes.

So, the only alternative that might eventually work will be to vote with our feet, as Carl2591 suggests above. When enough people switch to LT tires, the money will stop; and ST tire manufacturers will be financially forced to take a look at where their customers went, and why. (Just my opinion, but this won't happen soon, if at all.)

I, for one, voted a couple of years ago -- No more ST tires for me!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
I also got dizzy trying to decipher which ST tires to trust, so I went with a LT Nexan tire. So far so good, but we have only had them for a few months. We are about to do a big trip out to Yellowstone but tires is not one of my worries. lack of heat...
Old 07-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
As I said among other things in a PM to the OP, personally I don't care if they "solve" the problems with defectively built ST tires.

Part of the reason I will not buy ANY ST tire is this bogus cheap azz nonsense of a tire only being good for 65 mph and 3 to 5 years.
For just a few dollars more I can buy a LT that does not carry those handicaps.
I can't understand why anyone would want to tow a trailer faster than 65 mph.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

So, the only alternative that might eventually work will be to vote with our feet, as Carl2591 suggests above. When enough people switch to LT tires, the money will stop; and ST tire manufacturers will be financially forced to take a look at where their customers went, and why. (Just my opinion, but this won't happen soon, if at all.)

I, for one, voted a couple of years ago -- No more ST tires for me!
I suspect you are correct that "this won't happen soon if at all".

I think there are three things in play here. First the OE rv manufacturers will continue to go with the low price supplier, and in the case of tires, that will continue to be chinese ST. Second, there are still a lot folks out here in the market even after years of this nonsense that still buy into what I think ( opinion only ) is this myth that ST tires really are specially designed for trailers, and by extension of that logic, "everything else" in incorrect on a trailer.
We see this repeated on this and other forums all the time. So those buyers will defend to the death continuing to purchase these tires, and make all sorts of excuses to justify the riculous 65 mph speed limit and the fact the tire has to be trashed in three to five years. Fine with me.....let the buy them.....hey, it keeps the guys in the local tire store busy mounting and balancing something.
And three, there are always, always,always a certain segment of the buying population that buy products based on the cheapest out the door price. Even if it does not make sense over a period of several years of use, that kind of buyer will do whatever it takes to save $5 at the point of sale.
And again, I have no problem with that. It's a case of buyer beware. The good news is there is plenty of information out there if folks just look, so nobody should be surprised by the outcome of modern purchases.
My opinion....so it honestly ain't worth a whole lot I suppose !
Old 07-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I did not file a report with NHTSA. I did file a claim with Goodyear and upon return of the failed tire GY paid $7k in repairs to the side of my trailer. So I did not have a beef with GY. Did I put a new set of GYM's on.....NO!!!!! I went with what has been good to me for decades and put on five Michelin LTX P235/75R15 tires. Sure... got all of the comments of how the Michelin tire is not a ST tire and I was pushing the limits on the tire rating. BUT...they are within the weight I run my trailer and two years later I have had NO issues with my Michelins. Eventually, I will go with a 16 inch Michelin. Just didn't have time to do it at the time and stayed with the 15's. Wish you best of luck in your search.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben4762 View Post
While I wouldn't want to tow faster then 65mph under normal circumstances I can understand why people would not want to drive at or near the max limit of the tires.

With so many advising a 20% safety cushion for weight rating wouldn't a 20% safety cushion for speed rating make sense to? That would make 53mph the max speed for a tire rated for 65mph which wouldn't feel safe on some roads with the other traffic.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben4762 View Post
As Wazbro says, at normal highway speeds, a ST tire very near it's limit. I think a corrolary would be like running your engine constantly near it's "limit" ( redline ). Does anyone think that idea that would be a "best practice" scenario ?
Again, as Wazbro points out, having a safety margin makes sense.
Also as I stated, I think the 3 to 5 year replacement recco is also based on the fact that tire company knows it's a compromised design. If I remember correct, GoodYear states on their care guide for Marathon that after three years either the load or speed should be reduced by some amount. I can't remember the details, but it's in their documentation on the web.
For what it's worth, Michelen states a ten year lifespan on their passenger and LT tires. Substantially better than "three to five" I would say.