Old 01-04-2004, 07:21 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by pap

*What is the recomended method? Plugs? boot? patch?

*Do you worry about the diminished reliability of that tire from then on?

*How far up the wall can the puncture be and still be safely patched?

Reccommended repair is an internal patch.
"V & Z" speed rated tires are not reccommended to be repaired at all, not a problem for our trailers. If we are going faster than 117mph towing, a patch on a tire will be the least of our problems...
A tire can be safely patched up to within 1/2" of the shoulder of the tire (where the tread ends at the sidewall).
Some tire shops say a patch will be okay up to within 1" of the bead, although I don't agree.
Terry

Old 01-04-2004, 08:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
A good tire shop will not repair a tire that has a puncture that is anywhere above the flat tread area. The steel belts in a tire are alway in a flat, parallel plane to the road. A patch in this area will have two body plies of nylon or polyester and two steel belts which gives you a strong reinforced area to repair. Even if a nail has damaged the body plies, you still have the steel belts to bridge over the damaged area. As soon as you move off the flat tread of the tire, you no longer have the belts to reinforce a damaged body ply.

Another issue to be aware of; when a nail penetrates the belts and stays there a while, it can cause abrasion to the wires which scrapes off the brass coating on the steel wire. Then moisture can start to penetrate the tread and cause rust. Rust will cause the rubber to lose adhesion to the brass coating on the wire. I alway take a tire with a puncture off of the front wheel position for the rest of its useful life.

I had a flat tire last Monday on my car returning from Ohio. I had it fixed in Georgetown, Ky. The tire dealer was "Martin Tire". They explained the different repair options and do not do the quick
outside repairs unless you tell them to. Very impressive dealer.

Old 01-09-2004, 10:25 AM   #17
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I found out Big O Tires only sells Carlyle brand, but did discover that Discount Tires Stores sells the Marathons. They have stores pretty much over all states and include a road hazard warranty in price of tires. Also have an online store which could eliminate sales tax. Checking out best price (local store vs. online). Also, I called our Sam's Club and they said they don't sell trailer tires. Wonder if this is a new policy or if locale is a factor? Anyone got info?

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:01 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Only a bit off subject

I recently blew a valve stem on our 2002 Bambi. Although I caught the incident within seconds and there was NO outward damage, the tire was ruin inside from the weight of the rim against it. I decided to just replace both tires as the cost was not that great. Discount Tires first talked me into Carlyle tires, but I simply did not like the idea of tires from China on my Airstream. I also discovered a BIG difference. The Carlyle tires are 6 ply RATED. They are in fact only 4 ply tires. The Goodyear Marathons are ACTUAL 6 ply tires. The Carlyle tires may be great, but I feel better with 6 real plys vs 4.

david
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:10 AM   #19
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
David - what did you end up paying for Marathon's at Discount? I'm getting quite a price difference between the online store and local. Online dealer says they are owned by same entity, but are separate dealers????. Other than that I think local stores include all in price of tire, while online prices each thing separately (ie, tire, tire valve, road warranty).

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 01-09-2004, 11:53 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
DIcount Tire $ on Marathons

Leigh,
I paid $260.63. I did not shop for lower prices as I have dealt with Discount Tire for over 10 years and like their service.

david
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:10 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

I usually buy my tires @ discount tire, but found a significant discount at Sams Club. It was nearly $10 per tire as I recall. I ordered online and had them delivered to my local store.

Tripp
Old 01-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #22
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Tire rating

dtbw:

"The Carlyle tires are 6 ply RATED. They are in fact only 4 ply tires. The Goodyear Marathons are ACTUAL 6 ply tires. The Carlyle tires may be great, but I feel better with 6 real plys vs 4."

That doesn't necessarily mean they are less than tires with all the plys. In fact more plys mean more heat and heat is not good in a tire.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-09-2004, 04:49 PM   #23
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I printed the page from tire rack, and showed it to my local tire shop ( Just Tires), and the Manager simply matched the price within $ 5.00 per tire.
It was about the same in sales tax as shipping would have been.
I often buy from tire rack for my cars, and never had a problem.
One thing i learned is to stay away from "strange" brands, or house brands.
I have very few problems with name brand tires like Michelin, Good Year, or BF Goodrich.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:50 PM   #24
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
other tire stories

UWE,

I guess I have to aggree with you. I had a set of no name tire on my boat trailer. They literally did not have a brand name on the side wall. Just an 800# for warranty issues. Got new with the boat trailer. The boat was delivered to AZ form CA. One of the tires did not survive that trip in '97. Later 2 others blew out and I callled the 800#. For a small fee they shipped out replacements. However I started looking at the side wall after the 2nd blow out. The combined 4 tires were underated for the load of the boat by 200#. ------ I got a new set from Discount.

Man, tire problems sure mess up a good vacation.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-09-2004, 06:51 PM   #25
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Yeah, or a business trip in a 1 ton van on a Sunday in Texas.....
had 2 cheap new tires ( maintained well and perfectly inflated) blow on a trip a few years back. A real bummer after doing a tradeshow and being tired and cranky.... makes warranties completely meaningless.
One of them separated 20miles east of Amarillo, the other one 30 miles west of Amarillo. Had to hobble back to Amarillo on the service road, at 10mph.
Had to buy tires from Sears in Amarillo to get home. No fun. Now i buy good tires, regardless of cost.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:19 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Tire source

Here in Myrtle Beach, I went to the local Goodyear dealer, and he gave me a price better than those mentioned above. It may have helped that I once owned a Goodyear store. They are usually independent businessmen, and are very willing to satisfy your tire needs. I also bought my American Outlaw II' s from the same dealer. PJ
Old 02-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #27
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Right Time of Year!!??

I think it might be a good time to look into new trailer tires if needed. I spent time looking into best prices for the Goodyear Marathons as mentioned above (that was a little over a month ago). Had called our local Sam's Club and was told they did not do trailer tires, but toward the last of Jan. was in the store and on offchance went and asked again. The in store employee looked them up and said YES, they could be ordered! At the time, he wrote me up a quote that priced the tires at 92.07 each. I just went in to see about ordering them this past Thurs. and, whoa, I got them for $84.66 each! There was also the $1.00 each disposal and the $9.00 Tire Service Pkg. w/Road Hazard warranty, and tax. Total for 2 tires - $199.48 or $99.74 each. Thought I would give a heads up in case others were thinking of this.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
This is where I bought my Marathon's from ($66 each plus shipping for "C" load range). I called the Goodyear folks and they highly recommended them.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/