Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #501
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Reinke View Post
It's funny but my Discount tire store tells me Maxxis does not stand behind there warantee. As Trailer tires are trailer tires I will stick with Goodyear along with metal valve stems They alwas want to sell me 10 ply Greenball (made in China) which are not good for small Airstream trailers
Your trailer is an 07, according to your avatar. Why would you be shopping for tires? Just wondering...
Old 09-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #502
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Happy Goodyear user

I have Goodyear tires on mine, three years old and lots and lots of miles on them. I was just looking at the replacement guidelines as I was starting to wonder about replacement, but it looks like I should be good for another year anyway.
Goodyear RV Tires - Tire Care: Tire Age and Sidewall Weathering

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #503
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Just pulled 4 perfect marathons for 4 new marathons only because the date code was 04. I can only hope the new ones are as good as the old. Time will tell. I went with our local A/S dealer and he ordered fresh o8 tires and made hime put in steel valve stems. Fingers crossed. Really sad in the year 2008 we even have to worry about such things. I am like one of the other post, if this becomes a real issue then maybe motorhomes are the way to go.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #504
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
street side, front axle
about 10,000MI on these (OEM 2008)
running 65psi @ 75MPH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08_goodyear_marathon_failure.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	856.7 KB
ID:	67076  
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #505
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
street side, front axle
about 10,000 miles on these (OEM 2008)
running 65psi @ 75MPH
30 foot, Classic slide-out (10,000# GVWR) at 75mph? Sustained highway speed?

Wow! You've got 'nads made of brass, man... Airstream enduro...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #506
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post

Ditto to what he said.....
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #507
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Well i will keep all posted. Leaving next week for the west coast. My only advantage is a 28 safari empty is 5700 lbs, I suspect you might do better with e rated tires with the weight and speed of your rig. Really a damn shame we have to worry about this even at 90 mph.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:56 AM   #508
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
Well i will keep all posted. Leaving next week for the west coast. My only advantage is a 28 safari empty is 5700 lbs, I suspect you might do better with e rated tires with the weight and speed of your rig. Really a damn shame we have to worry about this even at 90 mph.
Right, as the tires OUGHT to be rated for speeds in excess of 65 mph.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:16 AM   #509
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post

don't know about you, but one of the reasons I bought an a/s over an SOB was its superior tow characteristics...
Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #510

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
don't know about you, but one of the reasons I bought an a/s over an SOB was its superior tow characteristics...
Problem is that you were 10 mph over the rated speed of the tire. At that point the load capacity rating of the tire drops due to heat buildup. Goodyear doesn't publicly publish that information but I have a Michelin table that was given to me during tire safety training. From what we were told, once you exceed the speed rating at the max pressure inflation, load limits go down. The question lies as to the length of time you were at 75 mph, what the road temps were and how much load capacity is lost. A brief run at 75 shouldn't cause instant failure though.

Keep in mind that's why Airstream allows you to tow a tandem axle trailer on three tires at reduced speed. That single tire technically has a higher load rating at 45 mph than at 65.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #511
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Problem is that you were 10 mph over the rated speed of the tire. At that point the load capacity rating of the tire drops due to heat buildup. Goodyear doesn't publicly publish that information but I have a Michelin table that was given to me during tire safety training. From what we were told, once you exceed the speed rating at the max pressure inflation, load limits go down. The question lies as to the length of time you were at 75 mph, what the road temps were and how much load capacity is lost. A brief run at 75 shouldn't cause instant failure though.

Keep in mind that's why Airstream allows you to tow a tandem axle trailer on three tires at reduced speed. That single tire technically has a higher load rating at 45 mph than at 65.

Jack
Jack.

Do you have "any" information regarding Marathon tires, or for that matter any other brand, of what haapens to the ratings, "when the air is replaced with Nitrogen?"

We are setting up a "air replacement with nitrogen program" for all of out service customers.

We understand that all race cars now have Nitrogen inflated tires instead of air. The reasoning seems to be that with the Nitrogen, the tires run much cooler.

If that's the case, then the maximum towing speed could be increased, or so we have been told.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #512
_

. , .
YA mean like costco and sam's clubs have been doing for years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
...We are setting up a "air replacement with nitrogen program" for all of out service customers...
we've covered tire inflation gases a few times, like post 249 in this thread.

also here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...gas-37684.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...res-32063.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...6&postcount=23

the primary issue is that DRYER inflation gas (air or nitrogen) results in LESS pressure variations on track tires.

track tires generally run MUCH hotter than trailer tires as a result of braking, cornering and acceleration.

IF there is moisture inside these tires, temps will VARY more which effects pressure changes and HANDLING.

so it really isn't about lowering temps primarily, but reducing pressure variations from those temp changes.

the primary value on the rv side MIGHT BE dry pure nitrogen's less corrosive nature to the wheels and tire insides...

but given how FREQUENTLY most of us need to add air,

a pure nitrogen fill will quickly be diluted back down to ~78%

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #513
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
the primary issue is that DRYER inflation gas (air or nitrogen) results in LESS pressure variations on track tires.

2air'
That's it! I'm going to be watching you like a hawk during tech inspection at the next rally

Andy,
Nitrogen fills really don't seem like a good value. Selling folks a good digital pressure gage (and impressing on them how important it is to USE IT) would be number one. It's a delicate balance keeping pressure as low as possible minimize shock and vibration to the trailer; a point you've (pardon the pun) tirelessly championed. Adding (or letting out) air will quickly negate any value of the nitrogen fill. Basicly what you're implying to your customers is that a nitrogen fill is "set and forget" which couldn't be farther from the truth.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #514
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post

Andy,
Nitrogen fills really don't seem like a good value. Selling folks a good digital pressure gage (and impressing on them how important it is to USE IT) would be number one. It's a delicate balance keeping pressure as low as possible minimize shock and vibration to the trailer; a point you've (pardon the pun) tirelessly championed. Adding (or letting out) air will quickly negate any value of the nitrogen fill. Basicly what you're implying to your customers is that a nitrogen fill is "set and forget" which couldn't be farther from the truth.

-Bernie
Nope.

My intent was to provide a way to keep the trailer tires cooler, period.

If they are cooler, the pressure is less, therefore the ride harshness would not increase.

Somebody must have some data, and not just opinions.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #515

Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Jack.

Do you have "any" information regarding Marathon tires, or for that matter any other brand, of what haapens to the ratings, "when the air is replaced with Nitrogen?"

We understand that all race cars now have Nitrogen inflated tires instead of air. The reasoning seems to be that with the Nitrogen, the tires run much cooler.

If that's the case, then the maximum towing speed could be increased, or so we have been told.

Andy
I can't see nitrogen as having an effect on the load bearing capacity of a tire. It's really pretty simple. Low air pressure causes more flexing of a tire which causes heat build up. Speed causes more revolutions of the wheel, more flexing of the tire thus more heat. So no matter if you have air or nitrogen, tire flex builds heat, and heat buildup beyond the design level of the tire means failure.

We all understand the low air pressure side, but not everyone understands the effect of speed and why high speed travel in excess of the speed rating for a tire can also cause tire failure. It's not just an issue with trailer tires either. Auto tires for example, have speed ratings also.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:57 AM   #516
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
For me, once I slowed down below 70MPH to cruise at 65MPH max and after three tire failures, I've had ZERO tire failures. Tire pressure, cold, is set around 63LBS. Am I alone or has anyone else experienced this success?
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 09-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #517
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
I have to wonder though... If the speed limit across the US was say 80 mph, would Goodyear and other trailer manufacturers have picked the magical number of 65 mph to not exceed? I doubt it.

We all have purchased a high end trailer, high end tow vehicles and the best that Goodyear can give us is a product that cannot exceed the speed limit? Sounds like a corporate attorney talking somewhere to me.

In the lawsuit happy society we live in, what interest would Goodyear or others have in telling you that your travel trailer tires will handle 100 mph all day long? NONE...

Monitor your tire pressure and keep up with traffic. In most cases in Ohio, that is 65-75 mph. Ohio law keeps the semis at 55 mph so it makes for an interesting drive when they clog the right lane and then all the other traffic hits and sticks in the left lane. Anything from 60mph-80mph to pass long lines of trucks in the right lane is not uncommon.

Where can we buy better than a D rated travel trailer tire?

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #518
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
ST Tires

The tire manufacturers DID NOT pick the magical speed or 65 MPH, the Federal Government did. ST tires are only required by the FAR (Federal Acquition Regulations).
The only manufacturer to best that MINIMUM requirement was Cooper but due to their marketing stratgy their Custom Trailer Plus is hard to get.
Example of the FAR is simply this, if you have a single mirror on the drivers door of a vehicle it WILL be a flat mirror. The second mirror and all subsequent mirrors can be convex, concave, inverted, it dosent matter. That one mirror must be flat ("unity gain").
NO TIRE MANUFACTURER APPEARANTLY GOING TO TRY TO PRODUCE A BETTER PRODUCT BECAUSE IT WILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE (BETTER MATERIALS, MORE MATERIAL PER TIRE ETC) AND THOSE WHO REFUSE, CAN'T, OR ARE INCAPABLE OF REOGNIZING THE BETTER QUALITY WILL CONTINUE TO BUT THE CHEAPEST TIRE AVAILABLE AND CONTINUE TO GRIPE BECAUSE THEY CONTINUE TO FAIL.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #519
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
...Auto tires for example, have speed ratings also...
yes they do.

and the speed rating system for passenger car tires,

has NO relationship to how ST tires are labeled, tested or rated.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #520
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Discount Tire shows the Goodyear Marathon to have an "R" speed rating, which is up to 106 MPH.

Tire Details - Discount Tire Co.

Tirerack says the country of origin for the Marathons is China.