Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #673
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If readers ever make it through this entire thread and haven't heard enough about Goodyear Marathon Failures, check out www.iRV2.com. There are even more posts regarding this problem on "5ers", as they call them (i.e., fifth wheel trailers). Plus, many have suffered similar costly damage to their RVs; and they don't even consider regular LT tires, but instead go to straight to all-steel Michelin XPS Ribs or BFGoodrich Commercial T/As.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #674
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
and they don't even consider regular LT tires, but instead go to straight to all-steel Michelin XPS Ribs or BFGoodrich Commercial T/As.

Which are E & F rated tires, none of which are suitable to an Airstream or vintage kin trailer . . unfortunate since the XPS has a bulletproof reputation as does the GY 614 among commercial haulers.

Many of those 5'ers are down-market in construction. It is also a "verity" (consensus of some repute) that SOB manufacturers of these overweight contraptions install axles and tires barely rated for the GVWR. Or, not, as I have read a few times.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #675
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I've used the B F Goodrich Commercial T/A's on my 25' Excella in both D-rated and E-rated varieties, always at 50 psi, and can't tell any difference in ride quality. The "D"'s, I put 65,000 miles on, the "E"'s are now up to 15,000 miles and doing great.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #676
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
I ended up replacing my two failed Marathons with... More Marathons. My local Goodyear dealer covered them under warranty, pro rated based on wear. In my case that was 50%. $77 each mounted and balanced.

I requested recently manufactured, made in the USA. I received one made in the USA and one made in China, both 2010. Looks like I'll be conducting my own side-by-side comparison. The hard part was deciding which side of my Airstream would look better with a hole in it.

Goodyear dealer did pass on a few bits of information: Goodyear will warranty (pro rata) Marathons between 0-4 years from the date of manufacture with out documentation- as was my case because my tires were OEM. 5-6 years with documentation.

I expected the usual warranty hassle- blame the customer... Nope, just replaced them.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #677
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
When our original Marathons failed in 2008, the Goodyear Tire Store in Cortez said that he couldn't make an adjustment on them and suggested that I take the tires back to the Airstream dealer to see if they could do anything. The tire that blew out completely disintegrated, and all that was left was the bead and a little bit of the sidewalls. The rest of the tire was back in northern Arizona scattered in pieces along the highway. In any case, if the alternative had been to put two new Marathons on, I wouldn't have taken them. Once was enough.

I have since switched to 16-inch wheels and Michelin XPS Ribs (225/75x16), and they fit in the wheel wells fine. Both tires had to be deflated to get them over the hub, but that was no different from the OEM 15-inch wheels and tires.

If interested, see details and photos on this link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...tml#post944334

I am just glad to get this problem behind us, so we can get back on the road with no worries about blowouts.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #678
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Link to Airstream Tire Failure Poll

If you make it to the end of this long thread, see the poll below for more information on tire failures.

Also, it would be helpful if those of you who contributed to this thread would add your details to this poll.

Thanks...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...oll-76867.html