Old 12-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #631
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
Near Failure

Two out of four of my OEM Marathons have failed- including this near miss. Note how convex this tire has become and how worn down it is along it's outside edge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04490.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	118126   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04509.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	118127  

Name:	DSC04500.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	118128   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04501.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	118129  

Old 12-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #632
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
This wear occurred in less then 200 miles, between a gas stop and a rest stop. I inspect my tires at each stop and they were fine until... Both front tires have taken on a convex shape. The only warning I had was a slight rhythmic vibration. Note blocks needed to keep wheel and tire standing upright. Note wear indicator bands on "good" side of tire. I checked the pressure while changing it out- 63 psi.

This tire has 20k on it and has been everywhere from Florida (twice) to the Sea of Cortez. I run under well under my max weight, my hitch system is set up correctly and I never exceed 65 mph. This tire was in the curb side front position. My other front tire has failed as well- it's convex and hot to the touch immediately following use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04487.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	118130   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04494.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	118131  

Name:	DSC04504.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	118132   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04498.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	118133  

Old 12-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #633
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It may not be the tires. On a car or truck that would appear to be wheels way out of balance. On a trailer it could be the running gear or poorly balanced wheels. Centramatics and wheel balancing can help.

Gene
Old 12-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #634
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Alan

It looks an axle could need to be aligned, especially if the tires on the same axle had severe wear at the same time.

Last summer I replaced the OEM Marathons with new made in USA Marathons and recently returned from a 3500 mile trip to the West coast and back with no wear showing. I keep the tires at 65 lbs. They did not lose pressure on this trip.

Dennis
Old 12-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #635
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan3940 View Post
This wear occurred in less then 200 miles, between a gas stop and a rest stop. I inspect my tires at each stop and they were fine until... Both front tires have taken on a convex shape. The only warning I had was a slight rhythmic vibration. Note blocks needed to keep wheel and tire standing upright. Note wear indicator bands on "good" side of tire. I checked the pressure while changing it out- 63 psi.

This tire has 20k on it and has been everywhere from Florida (twice) to the Sea of Cortez. I run under well under my max weight, my hitch system is set up correctly and I never exceed 65 mph. This tire was in the curb side front position. My other front tire has failed as well- it's convex and hot to the touch immediately following use.
Odds are that the running gear is not properly balanced.

You can add Centramatic balancers to your running gear, provided that the back side of the wheel has a minimum of a 10 inch flat surface.

But, to be on the safe side, you should also check the algnment, which you can do with a ruler and a straight edge.

Andy
Old 12-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #636
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Regarding balance: Why would this tire wear fine for 20k miles and fail in 200 miles if the issue was balance? There are no wheel weights- never where.

Regarding alignment: As soon as it stops raining I'll get my strait edge out. I'm careful when towing, but as we all know you can't avoid every chuck hole out there and the tires in the front positions take the brunt of the impact. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #637
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
That's classic tread separation. Nothing else will cause such rapid wear (in 200 miles!) and such an out-of-round condition. I saw this happen on my trailer many times before I finally stopped using ST tires.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #638
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Same thing happen to me on my trip to AK this summer. My GYM had a manufacture date of Dec 08'(first set replaced under warranty by Goodyear). Installed April 09' on AS. I had 12k miles before I had the 3 tires fail.

Mark
Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #639

2007 19' Safari SE
San Clemente , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady View Post
A Marathon with less than 3000 miles on it blew on our maiden voyage. It was a total separation of the tread from the sidewall that did serious damage to the wheel well and even burned a crescent in the plywood subfloor. Of course it happened in the middle of nowhere in Montana. I certainly don't trust them any more, especially after what I've read here. Maybe we should all get together and see just how common this is.
Well I feel your pain, my Bambi is now 3 years old. I spend about on the average 30 days per year in it. I just went through hell on my current trip to Arizona from California. I got my first blowout about 1 hour from home, lucky I was in the far right lane and was able to pull over right away. When I got out and inspected the tire I was shocked by what I saw. The tire was almost in half. The stell belt had turned the wheel well into a crushed beer can tearing off the holding tank discharge valves as well as a 1 foot hole in the floor exposing the interior of the coach. I also saw many wires just ripped from their origins. There was so much damage that would not allow the spare from being installed. I had AAA come out and we used his floor jack and a piece of 2x4 to push the wheel well shirt up into the well so I could get wheel clearance. So you think the story ends there....... well it doesn't. About another 2 hours later while in the middle of the desert I started to feel something so I looked in my side mirror and saw tire pieces flying through the air. I pulled over ran around the other side and saw the start of my other tire losing it's tread, it was not flat yet and at that point no other damaged was caused. I was forced to call a mobil RV tire service for help. After 4 hours standing in the desert waiting in darkness the tire guy pulled up behind my rig, an hour later I was back on the road. When I arrive at the camp ground I was to find out that only 2 lights worked on the whole coach, the one over the stove and the bathroom light, my entertainment equip was out as well as my climate controls and then I noticed that both sinks had been disconected and the waste line had been pulled back to where the pipes no longer were aligned with the plumbing .Two things make me mad...... First why has Airstream used such light material in the wheel well area and why do they have wires running through this area, second I am done forever with Goodyear. From what I read there seems to be a big problem with them. I really have enjoyed my Airstream but if I had to do it all over I would go with another coach. At my local Airsteam dealer they started carring a new line Earthbound. More for the money and as much quality as AS. The one great thing about AS is they do hold their value. My advice is if your tires are 3 years old replace them, with something else besides Goodyear.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #640
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Brief update to our Marathon story. One of the two Maxxis 225/75x15 LR-E tires that we put on to replace the two Marathons that failed in 2008 (I think), has a slipped belt. Luckily it was discovered by Discount Tire when installing one of the Centramatics I got from Santa (and Andy). I am now revisiting the 16-inch wheel fix. I am done with ST tires, especially GYMs.

Also, it looks like we might make the homecoming trip to the mother ship this year to get the wheel well fixed that was damaged by the GYM blowout two years ago. Does anyone know how much this might cost? Luckily it is mostly cosmetic (dents in the belly pan and about 4 inches of torn trim at the trailing edge of the wheel well); not like above).

Sprocket, I feel your pain. We spent about 6 hours stuck in the sand about half-way between Tuba City and Four Corners about two 4th of July's ago, in 105 degree heat. Good test of the new Tundra's air conditioner...
Old 01-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #641
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Brief update to our Marathon story. One of the two Maxxis 225/75x15 LR-E tires that we put on to replace the two Marathons that failed in 2008 (I think), has a slipped belt. Luckily it was discovered by Discount Tire when installing one of the Centramatics I got from Santa (and Andy). I am now revisiting the 16-inch wheel fix. I am done with ST tires, especially GYMs.

Also, it looks like we might make the homecoming trip to the mother ship this year to get the wheel well fixed that was damaged by the GYM blowout two years ago. Does anyone know how much this might cost? Luckily it is mostly cosmetic (dents in the belly pan and about 4 inches of torn trim at the trailing edge of the wheel well); not like above).

Sprocket, I feel your pain. We spent about 6 hours stuck in the sand about half-way between Tuba City and Four Corners about two 4th of July's ago, in 105 degree heat. Good test of the new Tundra's air conditioner...

Just curious, what are the symptoms of a slipped belt? is it something eaily seen?

Hope this doesn't mean that the Maxxis are now not a good tire to buy! I've always heard pretty good things about them.

We are traveling to Tucson next month, and when we get there, I was planning to go to a Discount Tire store and have them replace my 5 year old
Marathons with Maxxis E rated tires. (same ones you have)

I am not able to find them locally and am hoping Discount would be able to get them for me within a day or two, we will be in Tucson for a couple of weeks.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #642
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Odds are that the running gear is not properly balanced.

You can add Centramatic balancers to your running gear, provided that the back side of the wheel has a minimum of a 10 inch flat surface.

But, to be on the safe side, you should also check the algnment, which you can do with a ruler and a straight edge.

Andy
Andy,

Is there info someplace here on the forum as to how to check the wheel alignment with a straight edge and ruler? is it toe-in or camber or both that you check, and what sort of specs should one find?

I have one tire that seems to be wearing on the inside edge and have been wondering about aligment - if there is a problem, does it automatically mean a new axle or can the existing axle somehow be re-aligned? We are not too far from an Airstream dealer here (CanAm in London)

Thanks .............. Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #643
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Brian,

You can call Discount now and ask them to have the tires waiting for you when you get there. I recall some posts about similar problems with Maxxis, but not anywhere as many as with Goodyear. This may reflect the fact that there are a lot more Marathons than Maxxis tires on Airstreams. The alternative is a LT tire with 16" wheels. Those of us that have gone that route usually pick Michelin LTX or Rib tires—there are lots of threads about that. This is the most expensive way to do it, but we are very happy with the change.

Gene
Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #644
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Andy,

Is there info someplace here on the forum as to how to check the wheel alignment with a straight edge and ruler? is it toe-in or camber or both that you check, and what sort of specs should one find?

I have one tire that seems to be wearing on the inside edge and have been wondering about aligment - if there is a problem, does it automatically mean a new axle or can the existing axle somehow be re-aligned? We are not too far from an Airstream dealer here (CanAm in London)

Thanks .............. Brian
Torsion axles can be realigned.

The tow in is 1/16 inch, plus or minus 1/16 inch.

The camber is 3/4 degrees positive, plus or minus 3/4 degree. The top of the tire should be further out from the frame than the bottom of the tire.

The specs should match for each wheel, namely all being the same.

Lack of proper running gear balancing, can also cause some weird tire wear.

Andy