Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #617
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
That's because you look REALLY big to them!

Old 10-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #618
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Seriously, fitting to the wheel well should always be secondary to proper geometry. More meat has it's benefits, for a verity of reasons, but the desire for more tire, and sometimes changing offset to fit, should never trump engineering. If you compensate wheel well size for any of those reasons by changing offset this will happen:
1) you will experience a change in steering wheel input. Most likely a "dead" on center feel as well as steering wheel self centering upon release of turn effort. (realignment can help this, but not cure it)
2) Eventual accelerated front end wear....bearings, drag link, tie rod ends, idler arms (depends on mfr. front end design)

Please understand the entire front end is an engineered SYSTEM. PS calibration all the way to wheel bearing longevity. Tire wear and life will be affected too.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #619
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Seriously, fitting to the wheel well should always be secondary to proper geometry. More meat has it's benefits, for a verity of reasons, but the desire for more tire, and sometimes changing offset to fit, should never trump engineering. If you compensate wheel well size for any of those reasons by changing offset this will happen:
1) you will experience a change in steering wheel input. Most likely a "dead" on center feel as well as steering wheel self centering upon release of turn effort. (realignment can help this, but not cure it)
2) Eventual accelerated front end wear....bearings, drag link, tie rod ends, idler arms (depends on mfr. front end design)

Please understand the entire front end is an engineered SYSTEM. PS calibration all the way to wheel bearing longevity. Tire wear and life will be affected too.
Yah, if I were a tire dealer I'd also specialize in pickup truck "lift kits" and huge offroad tires . . . and run annual low-down-payment front end rebuild services
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #620
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
As for shoes, I wore size 11 almost all of my life; Now I find that I have to buy size 12 if they are made in China.
As for tires, I would say if you used D rated and going to buy china tires you should buy E rated ones.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #621
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
16" tires

My1984 Excella originally had Michelin XCAs on it size 7.00 R15.
It has ST22575R15s on it when I bought it.
With the max width of the ST and the OD of the XCA I went looking.
Bob Thompson suggested I look at the BF Goodrich Commercial TA in LT22575R16 LRD.
I looked and purchased 5 new aluminum wheels and 5 Commercial TAs.
We caught the dickens for blasphmy (going against the almight wisdom of Airstream and their decision to go with the ST tire).
Now Airstream offers, as an option, 16 inch wheels and LT tires.
Hmmm
That tells me that the 16 inch LT tire will also fit under trailers manufactured between 1984 and today.
If you want to be sure they will fit, find out who has changed to the 16 inch wheel and LT tires and ask to borrow their spare for a fit trial, just to be sure.
I live in Norfolk VA.
Beginner
Old 10-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #622
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Maxxis also has the 225/75R15 in D or E rated tires.... So should I stick to the d rated or go with the E rated for the extra ply and just inflate them to 65psi? I want to keep the ride smooth and have read that you shouldn't change from d to e rated tires on the same rims. Since my rims are relatively new (2003) and I don't plan to put a higher pressure in them.... Choices choices.
I am planning to re[lace my five year old Marathon D rated tires with
Maxxis E's when we are in Tucson this winter - if I can get them. Up here in Canada, the Companys head office cannot tell me when they will next be available.

In my case, our trailer is fairly close to the top end of the load range for D tires, and I will feel a bit more comfortable with the E rating.

As for the rims, I believe it is a question of what pressure your rims are rated for. My Alcoa rims are rated for 95psi which should be fine.

For some reason, they stamp the psi rating on the inside of the rim so yoiu can only check t when the tire is off!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #623
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
i looked today and mine say " Made in USA"...
Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #624
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
The following is an interesting and informative article about tire failures. I encourage all to read this article and reconsider their tires and the quality of tires provided by the manufacturer. RV tire survey stirs failure cause questions
Has anyone considered the use of GY 614's for the AS? The question really focused on whether or not the ST tires are made well enough to meet the demands of a TT. The weakest link on a TT would be the tires followed by the hitch architecture.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #625
2 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
GYM Tires

I was winterizing my trailer today, a 2006 30 ft. Classic with S/O.
It was made in 2006 bought new in May of 2008, purchased by me in April 2009. Was never pulled or used by the person who bought it new. I have pulled it on on two major trips and three small trips, aprox. 12,000 miles.
When I laid down to open the drain for the fresh water tank, I saw that the rear tire had a broken belt and was severly worn in one spot.
Never felt a thing on the last trip, trailer towed great with no vibration at all.
Now I have this winter to decide between Maxxis or Michelin tires.
The other three tires look great but I will be replacing all four.
Thankful I caught it before damage was done.
Hickory
Old 11-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #626
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Good catch - a lesson for everyone. While you are down there doing anything - take a look around.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #627
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Every gas-up (and every other stop), I check tires and hitch.

This happened somewhere between a pitstop in Toledo, and home.

It was before we had our TPMS, but I'm very certain it would have sounded a sudden PSI drop.

If you don't have a TPMS, get one.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #628
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Did you happen to check the tire pressure after you discovered this?

I had a somewhat similar experience a couple of years ago with an SOB. I never thought to check the air pressure, and I thought afterwards that likely a TPMS would not have helped as it did not appear the time had lost air - wish I had checked to see.

In any event, I now travel with a TPMS - couldn't hurt!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #629
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Did you happen to check the tire pressure after you discovered this?

Brian
Unfortunately, no

But, I figure since the diameter was significantly larger, there had to be a drop in PSI
Old 11-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #630
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Unfortunately, no

But, I figure since the diameter was significantly larger, there had to be a drop in PSI
Good point, I imagine you are right.

When I had my tire problem, I didn't lose the tread all around - just a chunk about 15" long x the width of the tire.

The piece of tire was lodged up in the wheel well and fortunately hadn't caused any significant damage.

I found out about it because I felt vibration in the tow vehicle and figured there was some sort of a problem so stopped to check.

We were able to nurse the trailer in to Fort Stockton, Texas, about 5 kiles down the road. I changed all the tires and at that time found two others where the tread was just staring to separate!

Entirely my fault - the tires were Marathons, but they were way older than I should have been using.

At that time, I assumed that as long as the tires had good tread and there were no sidewall cracks in evidence that all would be well. Now I know better and plan to run tires no more than 5 years - and to be very prudent in checking tire pressures!

Brian.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'