Old 04-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #561

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
We have original Marathons on our 25' International and they are ready for change now at about 20kmi. One has a worn spot where the brakes froze up at 55mph when the electrical dongle disconnected from the truck (it was not locked in the fixture). I have driven all those miles myself and my rule is 55-60mph and 65psi. High speed, heat, and low pressure are tire killers. Since we are retired, driving below 60mph is actually very enjoyable since we have plenty of time to get wherever. Make the right lane your friend!

Looks like we may try Maxxis ST 225/75 R15 LR-E for the next round, as they are favored by some who've had Marathon problems. I need to know whether a load rating of E gives a much stiffer ride than D. Someone at Airstream warned me about overly stiff tires and how it can affect everything inside the trailer.
You don't need E's on your trailer. D's provide plenty of reserve capacity for your trailer's weight. Maxxis also sells in the D range. Silvertwinkie is using a set of Maxxis D's on his 25' Safari.

I'm using Maxxis E's but my trailer is the heaviest unit that Airstream built in 2004 on a tandem axle. I starting my second full season with the Maxxis tires. They've been on since fall of 2007 after one of Marathon's lost a hunk of tread on the interstate. I've not seen any evidence of a rougher ride. I run about 75 lbs. of pressure which is 5 below max cold inflation. At that level my weight capacity per wheel is still above the max allowable on D's.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #562

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Load range "E" tires are for trucks, not an Airstream that "MUST" have a soft ride.

Andy
Just for clarification Maxxis does make an "E" rated ST tire. It's not a truck tire.

Jack

AIR #56
Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #563
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Jack is right I have the Maxxis "D" rated tires which are a direct replacement per spec for what was on the trailer before I replaced. The only difference is that the Maxxis have a nylon cap to better hold the tread in place, in a similar manner to performance/sport tires that have been using them for years.

I now have 1 season and 1800 miles on the tires. Though I had no issues with the Marathons, there were just too many things happening to justify not going to a different brand.

At 2540lbs max weight per tire (which is the load rating of the "D" tires), if you even come close to that number (10,160 combined max weight tires will hold when on a dual axle trailer) in a 25' trailer, you will snap your axle well before you blow a new tire out (non-road hazard caused).

Jack has about a 5 ton trailer and as such the "E" rated tires make sense due to the excessive weight caused by the slide out. 25ers run about 3.5 tons (7000lbs). On a 25er, you are not going to see the kinds of weights Jack sees (about 5 tons) unless you bring your anvil collection with you!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #564

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
unless you bring your anvil collection with you!
Remind me at Moraine View this year to show you my anvil collection!!
AIR #56
Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #565
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
My Anvil Collection

I call mine "Pete's Anvils":
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PetesAnvils2B40.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	78500  
Old 04-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #566
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
For all you marathon fans!!!!

I finally had a reason to replace my seven year old marathons.
Picked up a four inch long bolt in a rear tire.
Went to the local Goodyear dealer in Mt. Juliet(near Nashville).
He ordered in four new tires and received them the next day.
The date code is 1509 that is last week!!!
Better yet; they are made in the USA.
Seems they brought the molds back from China and are now making them here.
Al
Old 04-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #567
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Now that almost makes my day---Made in America

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #568
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
that's great news!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #569
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
For all you marathon fans!!!!

I finally had a reason to replace my seven year old marathons.
Picked up a four inch long bolt in a rear tire.
Went to the local Goodyear dealer in Mt. Juliet(near Nashville).
He ordered in four new tires and received them the next day.
The date code is 1509 that is last week!!!
Better yet; they are made in the USA.
Seems they brought the molds back from China and are now making them here.
Al
I just called Goodyear Corp and they said they have no knowledge the tires are made in the USA. The Company still believes they are made in China. But then the Company may be the last to know.
330 796 2121

Any chance you could post a picture of the "made in USA" on the tire.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #570
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Regardless of where they are made, if the design is faulty, the tire will fail. As I gather from this thread, Goodyear may not be using technology which prevents tread separation under certain conditions, or maybe, any conditions. There are posts which indicate Maxxis tires do use better technology.

Some owners of Goodyear tires say they have done everything right—made sure they have proper air pressure, don't drive too fast and keep checking the tires. Nevertheless, they experience tread separation failure. I don't recall any Maxxis owners who have the same experience.

Of course a manufacturer in China may not follow the requirements of the American company that contracted with them. A local shoe manufacturer of high quality shoes outsourced production to China and let go most of their local employees. The shoes were poor quality and the company was in such a financial bind it had to sell out to another company. Last year an importer found that tires it had imported from China has tread separation problems because these tires had not been made according to specs. I have found that simple products imported do not last long—for example, toasters used to last decades. I have found new ones last 5 years or so and then you have to throw them out.

So, I hope Goodyear tires will be made better. This doesn't do me any good since I have the Marathons that came with the trailer, watch them carefully and bought a TPMS system to monitor them. When it's time to get new tires, I doubt I would choose Goodyear.

Gene
Old 04-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #571

Fenton , Missouri
Keep in mind that some of us with tread failures had Canadian built Marathons. Mine was Canadian built.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 04-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #572
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Argyle , Texas
Goodyear Marathon Replacement

Last summer I replaced my Marathons with Custom Trailer Plus tires. They are made by Cooper Tires.

Custom Trailer Plus

They are an 8 ply load range D tire. Although this website states that it is a steel belted tire, when I was researching tires for my Marathon replacements, I read at at couple of other sites that it was in fact 6 steel plies and 2 outer fiberglass plies. The reason given for this was that rubber doesn't adhere (weld?) very well to steel thus causing the violent separations that we see in steel belted radials. This was supposed to be mitigated with the fiberglass belts.

Additionally, they are speed rated in excess of 100 mph. This is certainly much faster than any of us would dare tow but, at least we can feel somewhat less nervous when exceeding the 65 mph speed limitation of the Marathons.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #573
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
ST Tires

In todays world cuttting costs is the rule for all corporations that I can think of.
ST tires are only required to pass the Speed Rating tests of 65 MPH (required by NHTSA) so thats all they are built to withstand. Technology has the little to do with it. Cheaper rubber compounds will not withstand the heat generated by the speeds most of us drive at.
Like I said before, running ST tires on a trailer that sees mostly 60+ MPH is a crap shoot. In order not to loose step away from the table (go to tires with a much higher speedrating) or slow down to 55 MPH max.
Beginner
Old 04-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #574
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We got in a shipment of new Marathons today. The 225 size tires were still made in China, but the 205 size tires were made in USA, with a date code of 0109. The USA Marathons don't seem to have the scuff guard on the sidewall, at least not in the 205 size. We'll see if the 225 has it or not when the first USA made 225's show up.