Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #533

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

i see it repeat often HERE but without support from any official tire maker documents...

gotta link to this somewhere?

cheers
2air'
No tire manufacturer has a link to this information. I'll scan the document that I got during the RV-SELF tire safety training. It was published by Michelin and shows the degradation in load capacity of a tire as speed increases.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #534
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
which is exactly why i suggest the rating methods are different, and don't apply as they do with p tires.

on the patch/plug issue, my understanding is that punctures near the belt edges are not to be repaired using ANY method.

the 'no repair' zone is about 5/8-3/4 inches in from tread margins...

having experienced 3-4 nails/screws and foreign objects imbedded in tires this year,

i'll soon put up pics of each and how they were handled.

cheers
2air'
Yep, I understand the "rules" about repair of radial tires, but I think my 11,000+ mile trip with the plugged tire proved that "rule" is also not cast in concrete.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #535
_

. , .
no doubt a repaired tire might go a long long time or explode in the first 5 miles of use..

and i doubt it has much to do with WHERE the hole and plug/patch are located, within reasonable limits.

but getting a shop to MAKE the repair is an issue.

having had 2 punctures (2 different tires) that were with millimeters of the same location and tiny tiny holes...

the gy shop refused to repair one (too close to the belt 'margin') and agreed to repair the other, which is now in duty without issues.

i'm fine at diy on bicycle tires, but don't plan to fix gyms at home...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #536
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Though I don't advocate driving 75+mph towing, the posted speed limits on some interstates can be around 75mph. Shouldn't tires be rated for at least the maximum posted speed limits the tires could see?

Me, I stick to about 62mph fairly regularly. Sure I've passed at 75 once in a while, but never for extended periods of time. But let's face it, we all know the sweet spots our rigs get the best MPG....few, if any have I ever heard get the best fuel econ at 75mph.

Now don't get me wrong, I love speed like the next guy and love to get where I'm going.... when I'm not towing and driving my 1996 modified Impala SS, I can assure you with my Z rated nylon capped steam roller type tires, I go significantly above the posted speed limit. Funny thing is that I just got a "safe driver" renewal certificate from the state saying I wouldn't have to come in to renew my license.
Ditto what you said...

I guess, when I think of barreling down the highway towing a 9K# Daisy with all the trimmings at 75mph, my first thought is "am I rated at this speed if something happens?"... Having been made back when Ike was a president, not a hurricane, I'm probably due for some sort of tune-up or re-treading as it is...

Just don't think that with a lot of the dimwatts on the highways these days, I'm rated fast enough to react at that speed.... ... And trust that 'ol Daisy will too...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #537
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Was just browsing Cabela's, on-line and noticed that they have Goodyear Marathons ST225 75 R 15 on sale - $99/each, if anyone is lookin'.

Cabela's -- Goodyear Marathon Radial Trailer Tire
Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #538
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Just an update. In sept I pulled 4 perfectly good marathons with 04 date codes and Canada mfg and replaced with 4 new marathons and china mfg. locations. I did it because of potential age issues only. The tires performed flawless in 2 trans cont runs. Since then towed to california and back to michigan. All went perfect, but due to this thread my wife thinks I have some sort of psychological problem. I inspect the tires every time I pee. She is really worried about me. HELP???
Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #539
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
tell your wife not to worry as frequent urination is common as you age.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #540
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
In sept I pulled 4 perfectly good marathons with 04 date codes and Canada mfg and replaced with 4 new marathons and china mfg. locations. I did it because of potential age issues only.
All went perfect, but due to this thread my wife thinks I have some sort of psychological problem. I inspect the tires every time I pee. She is really worried about me. HELP???
Wait until you get my age and you really can do some tire inspectin'. Are you supposed to inspect them at 3:00 a.m., as well?

Maybe 4 years is a little early to worry about tire age but since you replaced the tires all you have to worry about now is your wife. You must be fairly new to wifedom because you need to learn to ignore them sometimes, especially near a jewelry store around Christmas time. Just keep walking and find a restroom.

I had Marathons for 7 years on a tandem axle car trailer. No problems. My younger son's new father-in-law is a tire dealer. He sold me some Towmaster tires (see previous threads for that discussion) for the car trailer and my '57 Flying Cloud.

Towmaster is sold by an outfit called Greenball and is/was/still is some sort of branch of Goodyear. Goodyears made over a million of these for Greenball. These tires were made in China but, apparently, meet all DOT specifications and regulations for sale and use in the US. I've had them two weeks and they still hold air--that's a good start!

I don't want to rekindle the US made vs. foreign made debate. They don't make many tires in Akron anymore and that is how it is. I do remember the American made Firestone 500 that had 7 million tires recalled in 1978. Then there was the BF Goodrich tire recall in 2004 but Goodrich was bought by Michelin in 1988 and that is not an American based company. No tire is perfect and no tire is junk, in my opinion.

Here is the secret to marital bliss and please don't tell anyone:

Every night when you get home, give her a good listening to!
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #541
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
On our way West in Sept we stopped at JC for minor stuff and I decided then to buy 4 new Marathons. We returned home Monday after almost 10,000 miles (9700 and change) and had no problems whatsoever. From what I can tell, the tires wore evenly (axles in alignment, wheels balanced, etc.)

We share a big and beautiful country.

Pat
Old 11-13-2008, 06:02 AM   #542
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Quote:
All went perfect, but due to this thread my wife thinks I have some sort of psychological problem. I inspect the tires every time I pee. She is really worried about me. HELP???

Quit drinkin' so much beer?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #543
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Your cry for "HELP" has not gone unnoticed.

Are you peeing on the tires? Do you run after cats? Do you howl at the full moon? Are you chewing the sofa?

You may have a psychological problem and it's good you have a supportive wife who is trying to guide you to get help. It's important you see a therapist immediately before the acid in the pee ruins your tires.

When you get well we can play Fetch the Tire.

Gene
Old 11-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #544
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Can you back, stand and retrieve? Your price would be above rubies. Wait, that's something else.

Pat
Old 11-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #545
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Thanks so much for all the advice, I think anyway, as now new information has really manifested this issue for me. Some has been excellent. Stop drinking beer and more crown royal. Great! Listening to wife more, well we stopped listening to each other the day after we got married. 29 years later we barely know who we are. Marital bliss, and and it seems like an eternal first date. Work for us !!

Now for the pee. Not me, but any male k9 that has raised his leg on my new marathons. I have not slept for 2 days trying to recall if that felony of a crime has been done. I mean this is bad, I am leaving for California in 3 weeks and do I cover them at rest stops and parking lots? And when in rv parks, do I shoot on the spot a fellow rver's loving faithful traveling companion for such an act? And if the mutt is leashed, now we are talking serious jail time. This is not good.

In the end, IT is all Goodyears fault. They need to make tires that can stand up to all this stuff, including dog piss. I am drafting a letter to the CEO as we speak. Maybe I should move on to a motorhome. I have a new meaning for ST TIRES. %#@* TIRES! Thanks anyway for the help.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #546
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Many in the AS Community have addressed this problem by switching to 16" rims and installing tires that have a solid reputation. This is what I did. I cannot tell you how much more confidence I have in traveling with Michelin LT load range E tires. It has been the best upgrade to my 19' Bambi I could have done. It pulls better and does not have the odd bulges that the original Marathons had. I will never go back to Goodyear.

Note that the Airstream supplement manual on tires states that the LT tires can be used for trailers.