Old 08-25-2008, 11:52 PM   #491
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Reason found?

Hi, I think we may have stumbled upon a reason that the Goodyear Mararthons have problems; The chinese women [little girls] makeing these tires were thought to be [illeagally] under the 16-year-old age limit. Birth certificates and other documents are being investigated, right now, as you read this post.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #492
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Safari 28, The Carlisle tire you are writing about (there's only one I could find that would fit the 15" AC/S wheel) requires an HD wheel according to the company website. I assume that means "heavy duty". Are A/S wheel HD?

They appear to import their tires and they may be the same as other brands. That's pretty common in the tire business.
Well the rep at discount never asked if the wheel is heavy duty, so i supect as usual we might know more than they do. Thank you for the reply, I am rethinking e rated anyay. Our safari falls well within the guidelines of a d rated tire and the ride will be softer from what i have read here. Now, get new or another year from marathons that have been perfect??

Old 09-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #493
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Going In Harmís Way here, butÖ

Öhere are the results of my Great Tire Search.

A few days ago I started searching for new tires for the Overlander. Originally, the Airstream came with 7 X 15ís. A good fit in the modern metric tires seems to be ST225/75 R15ís. Looking for a load range C or D tire. Initially, I thought about truck tires instead of STís, but decided to go with the STís. The truck tires LOOK to be much too large for the camper without some modifications. Money is usually a consideration in large purchases, just for the record.

Contacted the local Goodyear place and they donít carry Marathons as a regular stock item, but they ďcould get me a setĒ. Hum, let me check around.

Next, off to the local RV (SOB) place. They donít carry tires in stock. Referred me to a couple of places in town. So, off to make a few inquiries.

Next stop is Discount Tire, a national chain of tire stores. They wanted to sell me a set of Greenball LRC or LRD in the size mentioned. Total cost comes in at $560. Lifetime balance and rotation included at that price. Made in America?

Last stop is a mom-n-pop tire store. Guess what their tire of choice is? Maxxis. According to the owner, he sells a lot of the ST tires to local businesses for their utility trailers. He spoke very highly of the Maxxis tires, but does offer cheaper and more expensive alternatives. Total cost here comes in at $477. Made in Thailand?

Hereís my thinking. We arenít going to be traveling cross country in the Airstream in the near futureóthink years. 2Air made a good point earlier in this thread about buying a popularly used tire in case you have a problem hundreds of miles from home. Easier to replace. Our longest trip for the next several years is likely to be less than 350 miles. I thinking we can limp home on the spare if need be. There isnít a long history of the Maxxis tires in the RV world (apparently, yet). Given the mixed history of the Marathon tires over the last few years and the good reports Iím hearing here on this forum and recommendation from the local tire store, Iím inclined to the Maxxis tires. The owner actually told me that heís never had to replace a Maxxis under warranty. The one thing I didnít think to ask him was how long heíd been selling them.

OK boys, tell where Iím wrong. Is this just situational logic, or am I making sense here? Yíall have the floor.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #494
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Go for the Maxis

A number of us in my unit are running Maxxis with nary a failure to date. I wouldn't trade mine.

BTW, Discount Tire ordered my Maxxis for me. Took just a couple of days.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #495
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Peoria , Arizona
Goodyear

It's funny but my Discount tire store tells me Maxxis does not stand behind there warantee. As Trailer tires are trailer tires I will stick with Goodyear along with metal valve stems They alwas want to sell me 10 ply Greenball (made in China) which are not good for small Airstream trailers
Old 09-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #496
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Reinke View Post
It's funny but my Discount tire store tells me Maxxis does not stand behind there warantee. As Trailer tires are trailer tires I will stick with Goodyear along with metal valve stems They alwas want to sell me 10 ply Greenball (made in China) which are not good for small Airstream trailers
Thanks, Gil. The Discount Tire guy told me that 'he thought" the Greenballs were American made. Maybe he needs to look a little closer. We didn't go and pull one off the shelf and check.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 09-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #497
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Tired of it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
OK boys, tell where Iím wrong. Is this just situational logic, or am I making sense here? Yíall have the floor.

Jim
You could be using situational logic and be making sense, Jim. I've mulled this over and over. Some days I want to get Michelin LT tires; others, a Maxxis with more plies than the Goodyears. Then there's the other tires I know even less about. I don't think it should make any difference where the tires are made if there's proper oversight. Obviously a lot of Chinese products don't have such oversight, but we here in the US have made some crap too. And there's no way to tell if the oversight anywhere is any good at any specific time except by reputation. I don't have to make the decision yet and am hoping I'll know more when I do have to decide. THe tires sound cheaper than I expected since I know the tires for my truck probably will run around $200 each.

So far as the Discount chain, I usually buy tires there because of the prices. I suppose Sam's or Walmart has good prices, but I don't trust their installers can do anything right since that company always tries to get by with minimal quality. I don't trust the Discount salespeople eitheróthey talk like they know something, and I suppose some of them do, but some of them sound like they are making it up.

Gene
Old 09-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #498
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
A number of us in my unit are running Maxxis with nary a failure to date. I wouldn't trade mine.

BTW, Discount Tire ordered my Maxxis for me. Took just a couple of days.
Thansk, John. There does seem to be a lot of "good press" here on the forums for the Maxxis line. Just the kind of info I'm looking for.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 09-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #499
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I am running marathons simply because thats what was on the trailer when I purchased it used. I have put about 20k miles on the tires and the previous owner problably put even more. the tires are 3 manufactured in o4 and 3 in o5. I just had a tire failure but it was due to low pressure in the tire, my fault not that of the tire. The tire sensor gave a false reading and I trusted the reading even though the tire looked low. Good common sense will prevent many problems, so will not running over curbs which I sometimes find unavoidable in the 34'. Tires will fail sometimes for no apparent reason but more times than not if I had looked at them good and checked the air pressure it would have prevented the catostrophic failure.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #500
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
…here are the results of my Great Tire search.

The owner actually told me that he’s never had to replace a Maxxis under warranty. The one thing I didn’t think to ask him was how long he’d been selling them.

OK boys, tell where I’m wrong. Is this just situational logic, or am I making sense here? Y’all have the floor.

Jim
Hi, Jim. The only problem I find here is the part about tire warranty; If the tire has a bubble like one of mine did, they just say you ran over something. And if the tire has completely come apart, they say you went too fast, while overloaded, and underinflated. Basically getting your tire replaced under their warranty is harder than pulling hen's teeth. Rather than knowing what he hasn't warranteed, I would want to know what, if any, tire he has warranteed. Click on my picture to enlarge it. The arrows are sidewall segments considered normal on ST tires. The circle is where the bubble is; If you look really close, you can see the dent in the wheel and the bruise marks on the tire from the impact from what I ran over. "NOT"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0036 (Large).JPG
Views:	115
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	66974  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #501
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Reinke View Post
Your trailer is an 07, according to your avatar. Why would you be shopping for tires? Just wondering...
Old 09-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #502
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Happy Goodyear user

I have Goodyear tires on mine, three years old and lots and lots of miles on them. I was just looking at the replacement guidelines as I was starting to wonder about replacement, but it looks like I should be good for another year anyway.
Goodyear RV Tires - Tire Care: Tire Age and Sidewall Weathering

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #503
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Just pulled 4 perfect marathons for 4 new marathons only because the date code was 04. I can only hope the new ones are as good as the old. Time will tell. I went with our local A/S dealer and he ordered fresh o8 tires and made hime put in steel valve stems. Fingers crossed. Really sad in the year 2008 we even have to worry about such things. I am like one of the other post, if this becomes a real issue then maybe motorhomes are the way to go.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #504
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
street side, front axle
about 10,000MI on these (OEM 2008)
running 65psi @ 75MPH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08_goodyear_marathon_failure.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	856.7 KB