Old 08-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #477
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Wingfoot, I think I understand part of what you say. I know explaining this without pictures, an actual tire taken apart, and charts, graphs and powerpoint, is difficult. Thanks for trying to explain this to all of us other non-tire engineers. I'm having a hard time visualizing this at this point. Duh. Next time I'm at a bookstore, I have to look for "Tire Engineering for Dummies".

Gene

Old 08-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #478
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321 View Post
You are on the money. The indentations you see are actually the area in the ply material where the splice is made of the beginning and trailing end of each ply.
Wingfoot - For not being a tire engineer, you sure can explain stuff for normal folks understanding. I feel quite a bit better, both for the widened knowledge of this whole thread, and the tire architecture primer that worked better than the standard diagram.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #479

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Lightbulb Spare tires on trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
There are a number of other threads you can search on using Goodyear or marathon or tire failure as search terms... This is not a new issue or subject...

Here is the deal...

1. ANY "ST" rated (Special Trailer") rated tire will max out at 65 mph and 100 degrees... That is all the tire companies feel they need to be designed for.
2. You can run anything you want on your trailer, from LT tires to 20" rims and little skinny donut tires. Your mileage may vary.. LT Tires are stiffer, and will cause a rough ride for trailer and contents, though many are designed for higher speeds and temps and load.
3. I know of few states that have speed limits of 70 or 75 mph for trucks and cars towing trailers.. Most speed limit signs have fine print at bottom limiting these two groups to 10 mph less than the autos... Many members (according to poll data) feel OK going faster, but the speed limits don't reflect that.
4. If blowouts and failures seem inevitable, I'm thinking a few less mph would make the inevitable event less exciting and easier to recover from..

Having experienced my first last month, my new learning is to carry a spare mounted, even if it has to go inside tow vehicle... Emergency Road Service can't help you on a Sunday eve when nearest tire stores are closed, and you might not enjoy spending the night where the tire failed, as they recommended that I should do...

John McG
John, In four years of full timing and, I'd guess at least 20k miles of towing a TT, I've needed (I mean REALLY needed!) a spare trailer tire three times. I would never suggest to anyone that it's OK to travel any significant distance with a trailer without a spare (or 2 or more!).

John Alldredge, life-long AS wannabe, now towing a Terry Dakota 722F with a Ford E250. My AS owning days are all ahead of me!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #480
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Goodyear failure update.

Hi, well as expected Goodyear took me all the way around on the scenic tour to wear me down and hit me with "The bubble on the side of your tire was caused by something you run over." Although they said the tires had to be removed from the rims so they could see the damage from the inside, but nothing showed. Goodyear still denyed warranty. I was given a discount on two new tires, but I really don't think I got a great deal. [maybe a bad deal?] So I now have two new Chinese Marathons on the left side and two, four year old, Canadian Marathons on the right side and one Canadian Marathon spare. [DOT 1904] So I told the tire store manager, "I don't really think Goodyear did anything for me, so I'm takeing the old tires home." They didn't need to return them to Goodyear because Goodyear was not going to warranty them. One of the tires can be used as a spare and the one with the bubble on the side, who knows, maybe Goodyear will have a recall on them and I will be made whole. [court talk] Or I could have this tire cut up and made into shoe souls? Why did I stay with Goodyears? Well no-one has proven to me any of the other Chinese made ST tires are any better than Marathons, Matching tires are much easier to find, and two tires were a lot cheaper than buying five of a different brand. I'm hopeing that this decission to bite the bullet and replace two tires rather than be hard headed by takeing a chance on these older tires explodeing and damaging my trailer was a wise decission.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:33 AM   #481
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Robert,

I understand your level of frustration on trailer tires.

If you stay on 15" tires, I don't think there is any clearly superior tire on the market. Maxxis may prove so but, too few in service yet to prove that they are statistically better product.

I am also running goodyear st's. I keep them at 65psi, check them regularly when traveling, and try to stay out of the marbles /debris that collects alongside the roadways plus I don't exceed the 65mph for any long period of time.

I will mention one other alternative. Buy a product made in Japan. Their product design may not be superior to other companies or countries but, their factory process will be under control as far as statistical quality control is concerned. They will not "cut corners", their workforce is experienced, and quality is more than a concept on paper.
Chinese companies scare me; minimal employee training, high turnover, lack of understanding of critical product safety parameters, deliberate actions affecting quality & performance, etc.
American companies are under so much cost pressure to compete with cheap foreign goods being dumped into this market that in many cases they are abandoning the standards they have lived by for years. A lot of this is just getting rid of the salaried people that used to maintain the integrity of the manuf process.

It isn't just tires. My Garmin 2620 didn't make it three years, the new Parallax temp assure shot craps at one year, My Minoltal Dimage camera only worked for three years, and this dell computer doesn't come close to the old Gateway of a few years ago.

I think it is something in the water.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #482
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I agree about Chinese made products not lasting long. A toaster used to last decades, now they last a few years. Same with other imported products. People get used to cheating to survive in dictatorships, so it is a bad habit. Ironically, in the 19th Century, Europeans used to complain about those shoddy American products.

Gene
Old 08-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #483
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Europeans used to complain about those shoddy American products.
But it was American made that was the hallmark of quality during the first half of this century. In China, it still is. In fact, they love anything Made in America because they feel it will last their life time. One of their status symbols is to own a Buick...not a Cadillac. In the post WWII era, it was American made blue jeans and American made rock-n-roll that were the Icons of the American way around the world.

Since the yuppie era in this country it seems that Made in Germany or Made in Japan is the new benchmark of quality, but if you look at customer satisfaction, the American brands have made a lot of progress in recent years. The Japanese brands have slipped, and the two most expensive German names for years were in the bottom five along with the number one selling automobile in Europe (German). However, one of the German monikers has redeemed itself and is now back in the top five again.

Sometimes I think we fall into the "grass is greener" scenario and think because it is made in Japan or because it is made in Germany it has to be well made and because it is a home grown product it is shoddily made by lazy, overpaid, union protected, highly specialized, single function drones. But if you watch "Made in America" on the Travel Channel, you will see that there are still a lot of products made in the USA that are well made that are exported around the world and the people who make them are proud of what they do. We, as Americans, need to make another collective paradigm shift and realize that Made in America still means quality.

Taking one step off of my soap box and putting it away now.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #484
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
But it was American made that was the hallmark of quality during the first half of this century. .
You mean last century
Old 08-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #485
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Most of all the Goodyear failures in Raceing NHRA/IHRA and NASCAR are out of the country MFG plants
Old 08-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #486
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
also some bubbles on sidewalls happen when they bond the rubber sometimes it isnt airtite and it will seep into the outer skin forming a bubble. On a semi they can be red tagged or taken out of service for this reason. However at the bonding point there might be a bump like the ring on a worm that is normal and often refferred to as the strongest part of the tire
Old 08-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #487
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
You mean last century
I stand corrected. I take to change ranther slowly.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #488
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
carlisle e rated 15 inch

Looking at tires, not because of problems with my marathons but because this thread has me paranoid and they are 4 years old.

Discount tire has e rated 15 inch carlise st for around 100 bucks each.Any feed back on these. I currently have d rated marathons, our 28 is only 5800 lb dry. Still, from all this reading maybe e will be the way to go. Any opinons would be helful.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #489
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
there are 486 opinions listed above!

pick one or all of them.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #490
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Safari 28, The Carlisle tire you are writing about (there's only one I could find that would fit the 15" AC/S wheel) requires an HD wheel according to the company website. I assume that means "heavy duty". Are A/S wheel HD?

They appear to import their tires and they may be the same as other brands. That's pretty common in the tire business.

Gene