Old 07-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #393
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
couldn't do marathons

looked at everything here and elsewhere and even checked in at the Goodyear dealer. Couldn't get a good feeling about the Marathons. Having used Yokohama's in racing, I looked at their offerings. The RY215 was very appealing. The twink has a set now. They are a little bit taller and narrower. Neither characteristic worries me. The loading on the twink is minor compared to some to the other units. My measurements have the per-wheel loading at 850 lbs. Now the final question is how much tire pressure. I'll start off pretty hard and watch wear closely. Anyway, i'll let the thread know if anything doesn't work out.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #394
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
On the tow to Bozeman we covered just over 4500 miles. I kept the cold pressure at 65 psi on the AS and 37 psi on the Tundra.

The outside temperature was often in the 90's, but never broke 100 during the trip. The tire pressure in the Marathons, when driving on the hot days, was 72 psi and in the truck's tires was about 42 psi.

All in all a great trip.

SRW

Old 07-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #395
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
SRW,

I also have a 2007 Tundra, though the Double Cab. I have been experimenting with the Tundra tire pressure. When I bought it, the dealer didn't add any air and the front end felt light and up too high. On our first trip anywhere, I put 45 # in all the tires (maximum for Goodrich Rough Terrains) and that brought the front end down and feeling like the front tires were actually touching the road. That was probably too much because the tires were wearing more in the center than the edges. Now I'm down to 39 front and 42 rear and will have to check tread depth soon. I figure the Tundra payload is about maxed out with a 25' and want to keep the enough air in the rear tires to support the tongue weight. You've got a bit more tongue weight on your 28' and I'm interested if you find your tires are wearing evenly at 37 #. How did you select 37 #? Since you have the Crew Cab Ltd. you may have different tires. On the Dbl Cab they recommend 33 rear, 30 front, but the owner's manual has no recommendations for towing tire pressure. I called Toyota and they don't know anything.

By the way, I also have the Marathons at 65 # cold and they run around 71 or 72 # when the temps are in the 80's or 90's going 65 mph.

Gene
Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #396
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
SRW,

I also have a 2007 Tundra, though the Double Cab. I have been experimenting with the Tundra tire pressure. When I bought it, the dealer didn't add any air and the front end felt light and up too high. On our first trip anywhere, I put 45 # in all the tires (maximum for Goodrich Rough Terrains) and that brought the front end down and feeling like the front tires were actually touching the road. That was probably too much because the tires were wearing more in the center than the edges. Now I'm down to 39 front and 42 rear and will have to check tread depth soon. I figure the Tundra payload is about maxed out with a 25' and want to keep the enough air in the rear tires to support the tongue weight. You've got a bit more tongue weight on your 28' and I'm interested if you find your tires are wearing evenly at 37 #. How did you select 37 #? Since you have the Crew Cab Ltd. you may have different tires. On the Dbl Cab they recommend 33 rear, 30 front, but the owner's manual has no recommendations for towing tire pressure. I called Toyota and they don't know anything.

By the way, I also have the Marathons at 65 # cold and they run around 71 or 72 # when the temps are in the 80's or 90's going 65 mph.

Gene
Gene:

IMO you are absolutely right on the Marathon pressure.

I spoke with a Goodrich rep with regard to the 33/30 pressure and he advised that putting as much as 40 psi in the tires was permissible. The issue was how hard the ride would feel. Obviously there are some tow issues here as well.

37 psi seems to work for me considering ride and mpg. I feel the the new cold air intake contributes to my improved mpg when driving in city.

SRW
Old 07-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #397
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Y’all see the national news tonight? A lot of old tires are being sold as new. Tires setting on the self for 10+ years are being sold for new. Better check the DOT code next time you buy a tire. Wonder what the DOT codes were for the failed Marathons? Not sure how to decode the DOT, but it contains the manufactured date.
I thought I would post a pointer to a another post by Jim Foster in another thread. This may be the same report I saw. It may or may not be related to some of the Marathon failures, but it certainly is worth spreading around so as many people as possible are aware of this.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/591269-post2.html

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 07-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #398
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Tire Poll?

We're fixin' to get new tires for Daisy... have Marathons on her now. Been reading the forums tire thread (and some others re: Marathons), and have a somewhat a bad taste regarding tread separation. Seems we're not the only trailer folks who are wittnessing this problem with this brand.

However, Mothership are not stupid people and they would not knowingly equip their products with defective tires. In the overall scheme of things, since we're dealing with Airstreams and Mothership and the tires they equip our silver beauties with, Marathons would certainly be better represented in this thread and thus, problems.

That does not equate with a true picture of Marathon or other tire brand performance.

Or does it?

So, has there been a poll taken before asking several questions regarding tire performance & satisfaction (bet 2Air knows the answer to this one!)?

Several questons such as: What tires do you currently have on your 'Stream; How long have they been on your 'Stream; How many miles have you traveled with these tires; Have you ever experienced tire failure from other than misuse; Would you recommend (or are you satisfied with) the tires that you have?

Of course, to get percentages, there would have to be a list of trailer tire brands, a range in years, a range in miles, yes-no on failures & recommendations. Definite tweaking on methodology.

Would this be helpful to anyone and how would we get this going?
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #399
_

. , .
hi bill

robertsunrus has a poll going right now, just started recently...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...hon-43472.html

i don't recall any more detailed or complete polls on trailer tires.

which is sort of a surprise.

one could write a very complete survey of the current st models n brands in use OR the bias ply tires and LTs...

but a well constructed forum survey on the topic would take a lot of work.

i haven't updated this thread recently (i will soon with pix)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ons-27999.html

but i'm at over 300,000 miles now with 14+ examples of the gyms...

and still rolling on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
....how would we get this going?
it IS pretty easy to start a 'poll thread' and the software will guide u through the steps...

1. ya need a title...
2. ya need a basic premise (or question)
3. ya need to write a series of choices (answers) that follow the premise
4. then decide if those "voting" can select only 1 answer or several...

check out the 'community polls' subforum for some ideas on well constructed OR poorly put polls...

when starting a new thread, one of the check off boxes is "does this thread contain a poll"...

and that choice will take u 2 the poll options/answers template.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #400
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I really don't understand the logic in making a tire decision based on what Airstream puts on the trailers. I own an old cop car (Blues Brothers ) Back in '86 when the car was made Ford used Firestone tires on all their vehicles. The Washington State Patrol however, the original purchaser of my car, specified Goodyear F32 tires. The State Patrol's decision was based on extensive performance evaluation and field data. Ford's decision was based on marketing and business relationships. It's no different with Airstream and the Marathons.

I ran the Goodyear F32 on the car until Goodyear stopped making the tire. It was a great tire. After that I switch to top of the line Toyo tires based on outstanding performance with their product on other vehicles and the fact they're serviced by Les Schwab which has the best dealer network in the Northwest. There's almost 300,000 miles on the car. About half with the Goodyears and half with the Toyo. I've had two instances of tire "failure" (tread separation) with the Toyo. Both times it was due to driving a long distance with an under inflated tire. Both times there was amply warning of the problem. In fact I just drove it to Les Schwab (I was just driving along and... ). This mode of failure where the Goodyears have "exploded" is particularly worrisome. It's also concerning that the tires point of manufacture and construction seem to change based purely on economics rather than any engineering decision.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #401
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tire Failures

bhayden
My personal experience is that they don't just explode. The 19.5 inch tires did a lot of that but it sounded like a shotgun going off.
First the belts let go a little.
This creates a slow leak.
As the tire looses pressure the side walls flex more and more creating more and more heat.
At some point the heat is great enough in the rubber to cause it (the rubber) to loose all integrity and the tire starts to come apart. By this time all the air is gone anyway so no boom.
Due to number of photos showing the tread missing down to the cord appearntly the tread comes off first, then the rest of the tire starts to come apart.
The problem is not just Goodyear Marathons, to blame them is unfair to them. They are building the tire to US Government specifications.
Its the ST tire class in its entirety (no pun intended).
They are 65 mph tires.
Beginner
Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #402
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
I really don't understand the logic in making a tire decision based on what Airstream puts on the trailers...
Yeah, me neither. But given the # of A/S sold and user feedback during warranty period, reduction of liability and customer satisfaction would be a definite concern of the manufacturer. It's good baseline data and a place to start.

Quote:
...State Patrol's decision was based on extensive performance evaluation and field data. Ford's decision was based on marketing and business relationships. It's no different with Airstream and the Marathons.
Absolutely, economics is a business reality. Lawsuit mitigation would be a major business decision, too. As I had mentioned, since Marathons are the tires Mothership is packing, what we're hearing on the Airstreams forums is an inordinate amount of experience regarding them (both pro & con). A smaller sample of total Marathon users is magnified here. Also, since the thread is aimed at Marathon failures, those that have experienced them are more prone to comment. Again, not a good sample.

I'm not defending Marathons or slamming them, it just seems that without a good "poll" or sample, we're all just airing our opinions with no definitive numbers to shed some light on "best" or less problem prone tires. And no closer to a reasoned choice.

And there is a definite interest in choice of tires...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #403
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Seven Valleys , Pennsylvania
I had to have a Goodyear put on my spare while on the road. Once I got home and looked at the tire I noticed single strands of cord poking through all around the tire. It WILL go back to a Goodyear dealer before it has a chance to fail. ALWAYS good to inspect your tires before you head out for a trip.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #404
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarylarry View Post
... I noticed single strands of cord poking through all around the tire....
really?

that would be scary, larry...

who sewed this tire, betsy ross?

post a picture of the tire.

if this is a gym u might be seeing the little rubber whiskers that most of these tires have when new.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #405
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs down

Man this thread has my HEAD spinning!!!! I have to get new tires for my 66 SAFARI - 225/75-R15's , & everyone I have gone too is telling me to get the MARATHONs. No way- I say. What else is out there? I just called tire rack & they do not have or sell a Light Truck tire in that size with a D or E rating....
If I switch to a 16- I could rub the wheel well when going over bumps!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #406
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Try Maxxis

A number of us in our unit have been running E-rated MAXXIS tires on our rigs and there has not been a single failure among us.

When I hoisted a MAXXIS in one hand and a Marathon in the other, I was simply amazed at how much more tire the MAXXIS is. I run my MAXXIS at 70# pressure and the tires stay very cool.

I just returned from Bozeman and the trailers on both sides of me had Marathon failures on the way to the rally.

I ordered my MAXXIS through Discount Tire and had them mounted one by one at a shop near where I store my trailer.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote