Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #351
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California

I am now an official member of the "Marathon to Maxxis" Club!

After a close examination of my Goodyear Marathon tires, I discovered a lot of hairline cracks on the sidewalls. These are the original equipment tires for the trailer that was manufactured in 12/04. I figure the tires must be about 4 years old.

The tread is still good and I have had no problems with the tires...yet. I try and keep my tires covered with vinyl tire covers, although I have been somewhat lax on this lately because I use the trailer so much. I did notice that the sidewall cracks are much worse on the side that has the most direct sun exposure, which leads me to assume that at least some of htis may be attributable to UV damage. I am a stickler for keeping the tires properly inflated, so I don't think that is the problem.

Anyway, I just ordered some Maxxis D load range replacement tires. With the controversy surrounding the Marathons, I thought I would try something different. Hopefully the Marathons will make it to the installer, without, as Desi Arnez would say, 'sploding!! It will give me piece of mind to have some fresh rubber.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #352
_

. , .
on a wing and a prayer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
I am now an official member of the "Marathon to Maxxis" Club!...
best o'luck with those new tires mongo...

i just dropped my maxxis for the halo-twin rail!

halo baby...

i've had TWO side wall blow outs with maxxis now...

first one was a 'high roller' and recently a 'holy roller'...

wholey roller...

i just love the name of that tire.

anyway the halo twin rail is next up and after a long ride today...

they are keepers.

couldn't score the pink or green ones, so black it is...

designed in the U.K. and made in taiwan ...

won't it be cool is we could get pink or green 4 the rv!

cheers
2air'
Attached Images

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:09 PM   #353
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Darn Marathons!

Hi, my Airstream was made in "07/04" [July 2004] and still has the original Marathons. (5) My tires are still Round, Black, and hold Air; They are not worn or cracked and don't have any unusual shapes. I plan to use these tires for two more years and replace them because of age. Unless something unfortunate happens before then. Maybe in two more years Marathons will be made here again, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe by then I can buy Blue tires.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #354
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
<< Hi, my Airstream was made in "07/04" [July 2004] and still has the original Marathons.>>

Mine too - made 9-04.

How are you all doing with getting the tire dealers to observe the proper lifting points?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:23 AM   #355
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
Hey TPI............Am happy with my Carlisle "D"s that I got maybe 300 miles ago.....We shall see I suppose.........
As far as the lifting points I guess you are talking about the X marks the spot towards the rear of the unit. I asked my guru, Steve at P&S about this issue and his advice was to use the frame that is visible between the tires. One must be careful of the petcock on one side and the holding tank; but it is a very easy place to get to. Often I find, the tire techs have a difficult time getting the large head of their jack to align with the X mark..............Surely not to steal this thread.......

Get out there and go...............Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:14 AM   #356
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Interesting

During the tow to Bozeman from a dealer or Jackson Center one of the Marathon's on a new Bambi had a blow.

I believe that it was being towed by people hired for that purpose.

Unfortunately they were unaware (or just did not care) about the 65 mph speed limit on the tires, because they were seen passing other more prudent Airstreamers sticking to the rules imposed by the tire's manufacture.

A guess was that they were doing at least 70 mph.

The 19 footer is now being repaired by the Airstream guys here on assignment.

SRW
Old 06-27-2008, 08:23 AM   #357
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
For the first few trips when our Airstream was new, the tires only had about 48 LBS of air in them. I had my tire shop increase them to 60, but the tire shop I use wouldn't go higher than the rating on the side of the tires. Their portable tank they had to use to get out to the trailer didn't seem to accurate or too good at putting that much air pressure in so I bought the necessary attachments for the hose I have to a little pancake compressor I bought for my finish nailer and increased the air pressure in each tire to the maximum in the charts. I forget what I put in them this spring to be honest with you, but it was the amount that was recommended by Goodyear for speeds up to 75 MPH. I'm not advocating that speed, but if the tire is good for that it should be good for less than that. Anyway, I have had the trailer in storage since the spring near the destinations we had planned for this year so I wouldn't have to tow it so far every trip so I could save on fuel and wear and tear on me. Now I will be bringing the trailer home after next week's trip and will be adjusting the air pressure again. I will research my notes to confirm the pressure I will use.

Goodyear does not recommend that ST Marathons be driven faster then 65 mph.

Goodyear also recommends that the cold tire pressure be 65 psi, not 60, 45 or anything less.

SRW
Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #358
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
I am now an official member of the "Marathon to Maxxis" Club!

After a close examination of my Goodyear Marathon tires, I discovered a lot of hairline cracks on the sidewalls. These are the original equipment tires for the trailer that was manufactured in 12/04. I figure the tires must be about 4 years old.

The tread is still good and I have had no problems with the tires...yet. I try and keep my tires covered with vinyl tire covers, although I have been somewhat lax on this lately because I use the trailer so much. I did notice that the sidewall cracks are much worse on the side that has the most direct sun exposure, which leads me to assume that at least some of htis may be attributable to UV damage. I am a stickler for keeping the tires properly inflated, so I don't think that is the problem.

Anyway, I just ordered some Maxxis D load range replacement tires. With the controversy surrounding the Marathons, I thought I would try something different. Hopefully the Marathons will make it to the installer, without, as Desi Arnez would say, 'sploding!! It will give me piece of mind to have some fresh rubber.
The tires on my 08 (mfg in Oct.) were made in 07.

Yours could well have been made in 03, making them 5 years old.

I know that some folks recommend changing the tires at 3 years no matter the mileage.

SRW
Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #359
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
This pdf file from Goodyear talks about tire pressure and trailer speeds...

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #360
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Goodyear does not recommend that ST Marathons be driven faster then 65 mph.

Goodyear also recommends that the cold tire pressure be 65 psi, not 60, 45 or anything less.

SRW
sorry but this is incorrect information.

we've covered this issue in many threads, including links to the details, but the misunderstandings continue.

folks who WANT to match inflation pressure to loads CAN do so, but they need to keep on top of this and limit speed.

65 psi is the simplest inflation guide to follow and their own (gym) literature describes what to do IF towing at 65-75 mph.

as for the new bambi with a blowout, it could have been MANY issues, like a puncture or UNDER INFLATION...

i've checked air pressures on many trailers leaving the j/c lot and the tires are OFTEN under inflated, just as m'mate notes above.

and like m'mate i often TOW at 70-75 mph,

have over 350,000 miles on the 12 gyms, including summer towing at 90+ temps...

without a single belt issue, defect or tire failure...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #361
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
sorry but this is incorrect information.

we've covered this issue in many threads, including links to the details, but the misunderstandings continue.

folks who WANT to match inflation pressure to loads CAN do so, but they need to keep on top of this and limit speed.

65 psi is the simplest inflation guide to follow and their own (gym) literature describes what to do IF towing at 65-75 mph.

as for the new bambi with a blowout, it could have been MANY issues, like a puncture or UNDER INFLATION...

i've checked air pressures on many trailers leaving the j/c lot and the tires are OFTEN under inflated, just as m'mate notes above.

and like m'mate i often TOW at 70-75 mph,

have over 350,000 miles on the 12 gyms, including summer towing at 90+ temps...

without a single belt issue, defect or tire failure...

cheers
2air'

2Air:

The sidewall load rating of the Marathons on my AS is listed at 65 psi.

Also, 65 psi is the pressure listed on the sticker pasted to the AS.

Max speed for the Marathons is 65 mph as it says in the PDF posting by AZFLYCASTER.

65 psi is the max tire pressure per a Goodyear rep during a tel conversation with me.

65 mph is the max speed recommended by Goodyear also per a Goodyear rep during a tel conversation with me.

I believe that at least that some Marathon issues are related to folks driving faster then 65 mph on under inflated tires (ie. less then 65 psi).

By the way are you at Bozeman?

SRW
Old 06-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #362
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
2Air:

The sidewall load rating of the Marathons on my AS is listed at 65 psi.

Also, 65 psi is the pressure listed on the sticker pasted to the AS.

Max speed for the Marathons is 65 mph as it says in the PDF posting by AZFLYCASTER.

65 psi is the max tire pressure per a Goodyear rep during a tel conversation with me.

65 mph is the max speed recommended by Goodyear also per a Goodyear rep during a tel conversation with me.

I believe that at least that some Marathon issues are related to folks driving faster then 65 mph on under inflated tires (ie. less then 65 psi).

By the way are you at Bozeman?

SRW
I would say the Goodyear rep hasn't read their own ST info:

"Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is
necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load.
  • Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
  • If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.
  • The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire."
What this tells me is if the existing weight of your trailer does not exceed the weight carrying capacity of the tires at 55 PSI (2270 lbs for the ST225/75R15), you can then drive up to 75 mph if you inflate another 10 psi up to 65 PSI.

However, if each wheel is supporting more than 2270 pounds and up to 2540 pounds (the max at 65 PSI for the ST225/75R15) then you're limited to 65 mph.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #363
_

. , .
Quote:
...By the way are you at Bozeman?SRW
nope, but my good friend art'man is there (red1row1) with his white box van...

and having a free open beverage thing monday!

say hi to him and have a cool one.

i think u guys may have the same tire/wheel combos now...

cheers
2air'

Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #364
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
montgomery , Alabama
I could not get my Marathon tires past the balancing stage today. Three of the five were out of round. They said they would try new tires one more time, but they were not warrantied. After a lot of loud talkig in front of other customers, I got my money back. My new Carlisles will be here on Tuesday. Maybe they will work. Ramble Can