jayhawk nation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
For some strange reason....
ah but we are everywhere!

http://www.kcbbq.net/events/kuwatch.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #296
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Here is a website that has the tire plant codes...
Tire Plant Codes
azflycaster:

Very interesting list.

Must be old, stupid or both, but I had no idea that there were so many tire plants in so many diffirent countries.

Wonder how many are owned by American multinationals?

SRW

Old 05-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Those damn Canucks can't do anything right with rubber. I suppose it is one reason we have a population boom right now..... .

I was thinking of grenading my Marathons and going to either Maxxis or another LT tire my tire shop says works well but I think I'll run these a bit longer and see how they work out. I just have to make sure I have at least one, or two, spares in stock in case something happens on the highway.

Barry
Old 05-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #298
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Marathon & Centramatics

We purchased our used 34' Classic a year ago April. I bought and installed 6 new Marathons along with a set of Centramatic discs. I too kept the two best of the original tires by checking their date codes and use those as spares.

We have now put over 7,000 miles on the trailer and so far see no unordinary wear. I also ensured the tires were balanced and had the breaks checked.

Before our next long trip this fall I will rotate the tires and had planned on a 7500 mile rotation schedule which I'm rapidly approaching.

Our next trip is to SW Ohio to visit family and had hoped to get an appointment to Jackson Center to check my axle alignment and have them rotate the tires. But no joy as they're booked into June.

So far I have no complaints with my tires and my better half bought me one of those trick laser temp gauges for Xmas and used on our last trip to the Florida Panhandle.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #299
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Isn't is amazing that we have to worry about tires so much? It was said a couple of days ago. This is not new technology. It's lack of competition, poor quality control, and cost cutting.

When I buy a new vehicle, at least half of the time they come with crappy original equipment tires that last 20,000 miles. But I replace them with good quality tires and get far more miles, better traction and surely more safety. We don't even have that option with trailer tires if I read the posts correctly.

There are more reports of catastrophic failures with Goodyears than seems attributable to normal problems. Is it that some days QC is bad and if you're unlucky, you get those tires? Does the company that makes the tires in China sometimes leave out some components to save money as did another manufacturer in China with passenger car tires a year or so ago? Were the Canadian tires made out of old hockey pucks?

Gene
Old 05-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #300
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
My Marathons are two years old according to the date codes. I pulled one off to test fit the rim on an axle with disc breaks.

Too many to count little cracks all around the tire where the sidewall meets the tread. Inflation is checked and adjusted daily when trailer is in use. The tires have 17,000 miles on them.

I'll be redoing with some Maxxis later in the month after the discs are installed.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #301
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Isn't is amazing that we have to worry about tires so much?

...There are more reports of catastrophic failures with Goodyears than seems attributable to normal problems...
hi gene

i don't 'worry' about the trailer tires anymore than the truck, cars, or bicycle tiires.

they all need proper inflation, rotation, balance and regular inspections.

my high performance snow tires just finished the 6th season and i will probably get one more year,

but they are carefully stored during the off season and rotated every 3k miles and check for inflation weekly when used.b

a major problem with trailer tires is...

none of the normal signals are 'felt' when a trailer tire is low or flat or out of balance, as with a passenger vehicle tire.

i agree there are LOTS of reports on gym issues but translating that into a prevalence isn't easy.

OFTEN we read about ONE TIRE, multiple times, like perhaps THIS EXAMPLE....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
My Marathons are two years old... I pulled one off...Too many to count little cracks all around the tire where the sidewall meets the tread...
hey gc, is THIS THE SAME TIRE uwe describes in post 289?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63
...Today, I borrowed a clients mag wheel from an 06 Safari 25 SE...
The tire had a date code of mid 06, and started to show fissure cracks in the tread and down towards where the tread meets the sidewall....
cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #302
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
2Air,

Yep, same tire. However while the trailer lives outside the tires are in the shade as the trailers home is between two ginormus toy haulers and faces South.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 05-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #303
_

. , .
hi gc...

so those are canadian tires right ?

supposedly g-y has increased the uv inhibitors in the current chinese version

and the warranty covers weather checking for 5 years now, i think....

not sure what the uv policy is on the maxxis.

you will love the disc brake conversion and it's great the oem safari wheels fit over them.

cheers
2air'

Old 05-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #304
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi gc...

so those are canadian tires right ?

supposedly g-y has increased the uv inhibitors in the current chinese version

and the warranty covers weather checking for 5 years now, i think....

not sure what the uv policy is on the maxxis.

you will love the disc brake conversion and it's great the oem safari wheels fit over them.

cheers
2air'
It is not what I would call weather checking. It's a series of cracks running along the tread sidewall junction.

I don't want to turn in my marathons every couple of years when this happens and argue for replacement and proration.

I'm opting for Maxxis because of the belting method they use to tie the tread to the sidewall.

A red light runner and a very close shaved sealed the fate of the electric brakes.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 05-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #305
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Had a very close look at my Marathons this afternoon. Manufactured the early part of 2003. I doubt these ones have more than 2,000 miles on them as I've been using my mags with Carlisles (?sp). The Marathons were made in Quebec. I cannot see any signs of deterioration, distortion or cracking, they look like brand new tires.

For the couple of hundred bucks I'll change them out anyway and put the oldies on my utility trailer. It's just not worth the risk for the small dollars involved. I'm torn between Maxxis or Marathons. My tire guy says almost any LT tire is the way to go but he's just a tire guy who does not happen to sell GY like I originally thought and I suspect the only science in his suggestion is that he sells lots of LT tires and not too many RV tires.

Disc brakes sounds like a neat swap. I need to look into that. A winter project, or maybe a weekend over the summer. Quick and a huge safety factor.

Barry
Old 05-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #306
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Barry,

I've always been a fan of anything that makes it go faster or stop quicker.

As such I've always had it in the back of my mind to upgrade to discs. But when that red light runner was so close to the front of the truck that all I could see was the roof of her car I thoght that was it. That moved the upgrade right to the top of my to do list.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 05-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #307
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Wow, glad to know you managed to avoid what could have been an ugly event. A close call like that can help change a priority list very quickly.

Barry
Old 05-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #308
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Re-tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi gene

i don't 'worry' about the trailer tires anymore than the truck, cars, or bicycle tiires.

they all need proper inflation, rotation, balance and regular inspections.

a major problem with trailer tires is...

none of the normal signals are 'felt' when a trailer tire is low or flat or out of balance, as with a passenger vehicle tire.

i agree there are LOTS of reports on gym issues but translating that into a prevalence isn't easy.

cheers
2air'
I hope you're right, 2air. Somewhere back when the point was made that people who are very careful experience Marathon problems. That's not exactly reassuring. I agree the same Marathon issues get repeated and repeated so it feels like every tire is ready to explode. Just what is true is difficult to know. Nevertheless, I'd like more choices in tire brands. A lot of lesser known brands are actually made under contract by major manufacturers, so maybe someone will order a big bunch of high quality RV tires and start the After Market AirForum Posters brand ("Buy AMAFP tires, better than Marathons").

The good news is that I finally figured out that "gym" means Goodyear Marathon.

Gene