Old 10-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #169
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Someone more savvy than me can probably pick this out of the postings, but: is there a cut off date that I should be looking at on my marathons that indicate when they became less trustworthy? Obvious warning signs? I am pretty sure mine are pre-troubles but I don't know that for a fact. My tires look fine as far as I can tell and they should have a good bit of life left. On the other hand, I don't want to dance the 'my tire just failed at speed' shoddish.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:47 PM   #170
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Rodney. I have heard many opinions, but in black and white, in my wifes BMW owners manual, it states "Replace all tires between five and seven years of age regardless of tread depth."

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #171
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Is there anyone on this forum that has, let's say, five years and fifty thousand miles on an Airstream trailer with tires other than Goodyear Marathons?...
hi robert...

i agree not much user data on other current ST options vs a ba-zillion gyms on the roadway.

there is a member here with several years and 10s of thousands on miles on the greenball towmaster? tire, some of which were made by goodyear.

he usually doesn't post on THIS issue and after wearing them out sent back to the marathons...

too much hot air!

and IF your marathons are "pre-troubles" they are LONG since due for replacement..

since the majority of reported/documented issues began with tires produced circa 2002...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:03 AM   #172
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
My low mileage Marathon tire failure looked a lot like Aluminauts' tire. The failed tire was manufactured in 2002.

I took it to a Goodyear dealership. They said there was no recall on that vintage Marathons, and that the warranty coverage had expired anyway.

We have one new Marathon on our Airstream (replacing the old failed one). Its design is noticably different from the 2002 tire.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #173

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As noted my rule of thumb is between 4 and 5 years. My Marathons were produced in week 30 of 2003. I took delivery of the trailer in November of 2003 with the trailer being built in September. Officially we were concluding the tires 4th season of service with about 7,500 miles on the tires.

I've only had one trailer that I kept long enough to replace tires (14 years) and that trailer had 3 sets over that time period. Up until this failure last weekend, I've never had a trailer tire failure in my towing history (30 years).

Technically my trip to Fl. next month would have been my last one on these tires with my planned replacement being scheduled for season 5 next spring. Obviously we will do the replacement now prior to our last outing of the year.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:12 AM   #174
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I guess I was looking for insight on marathons in particular. I bought this set mid 2005. At that time, the universal advice was to get marathons. Like I said, they look fine. As far as I can guess, they are fine. If there are batch numbers or production dates/ranges that are prone to failure I would like to know about it. These tires should have another 2 years left in them, but every time I see these threads I wonder.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #175

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I guess I was looking for insight on marathons in particular. I bought this set mid 2005. At that time, the universal advice was to get marathons. Like I said, they look fine. As far as I can guess, they are fine. If there are batch numbers or production dates/ranges that are prone to failure I would like to know about it. These tires should have another 2 years left in them, but every time I see these threads I wonder.
My gut would say that you should be able to get 4-5 seasons out of them. I took the lesser approach since my trailer doesn't get a lot of miles on it and tires should last a little longer (assuming you have adequate tread) if they roll. Personally I should have gotten a full 4 seasons out of mine, but I'll never know for sure what caused the loss of tread and subsequent failure.

I know your fear and up until some of the latest threads, I would have expected most folks to get that 4-5 season life out of the Marathons. Now I'm beginning to wonder also. I think everyone is just going to have to be more vigilant and watch their's closely. I know I had been especially careful this year regarding watching pressures and looking over the tires at every stop when on the road. Obviously it didn't prevent my failure though.

That broken belt issue is really nasty and unless it's visually pronounced, the only way you can check it is by getting the tire up off the ground and then giving it a spin to make sure it's still symmetrical.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #176
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Thought I'd share this with you.

From my 2005 AS on the way back from a recent trip up the California GrapeVine on I-5. I blew this tire in the afternoon and had a loss of air from one tire on the other side of the trailer in the Morning.

Name:   tireblowout.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  48.8 KB

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:24 AM   #177
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Its readily apparent that marathon tire failures are not just old 2002 tires
by no means .Ive read quite a few posts on new coaches having new tires go ,even the circle S.
Take a good look at that tire of Safari Rick ,that is completely unacceptible for ANY tire to come apart in such a manner ,and no matter who throws in an
excuse for such destruction as its normal or any number of the usual reasons for giving this tire a pass ,its blatently obviouse to take a long hard look at
these tires overall ,and decide if its worth it .I try myself to stay away from marathon tire threads as a rule ,but its hard not too comment on somthing such as this tire failure.
As for the Maxxis users and folks going to BFG commercial T/A tires ,which
are an excellent tire ,hope is that they will indeed get many miles from those
tires .towmasters by the way ,marketed by Greenball tireCo. more specifically
the marathon are produced on the same line at the factory according to
the technical representitives at Greenball tire co in CA .GreenBall towmasters
offer many makes of tires in the towmaster line .One thing that stands out
in the RV trailer world is that I see many trailer coaches SOB that have
moved away from marathons to other brands ,be it fifth wheels or other
size trailers .Airstream seems to be the main trailer company that is
predominently using marathon tires .Well ,what else can be said that hasn't been said already ,except that , its seems hard to keep arguing in favor of this tire ,considering what the photo shows us.

Scott of scottanlily
Old 10-20-2007, 12:05 PM   #178
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Its readily apparent that marathon tire failures are not just old 2002 tires by no means...
and NO ONE has suggested that.

my note reads "began circa 2002" in response to a query about owning tires that are 'pre-troubles'.

often the 'tires failing' info suggests that relocation of production 2 asian plants is the issue.

when usa and canadian plants have been and still are where MOST of the flat tires were produced.

the 2006 china produced gyms i'm currently running do appear to be better cosmetically and with over 18,000 miles still are performing as expected.

it is possible that the tire has actually been improved or MAY now be past the troubling phase.

it is possible....

still,

i'm looking forward to a few MILLION folks using the maxxis STs so we can approach a partially fair sample base for camparison...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #179
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
toronto , ontario
Just phoned MAXXIS IN CANADA It seems they are still trying to set up a network of dealers so no trailer tires . and if you check the dealer network in the USA it is virtually non existing (based on their own dealer map) so back to goodyear , at least if the tire blows theres going to be a dealer close by.

drive safe
Old 10-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #180
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
and NO ONE has suggested that.

my note reads "began circa 2002" in response to a query about owning tires that are 'pre-troubles'.

often the 'tires failing' info suggests that relocation of production 2 asian plants is the issue.

when usa and canadian plants have been and still are where MOST of the flat tires were produced.

the 2006 china produced gyms i'm currently running do appear to be better cosmetically and with over 18,000 miles still are performing as expected.

it is possible that the tire has actually been improved or MAY now be past the troubling phase.

it is possible....

still,

i'm looking forward to a few MILLION folks using the maxxis STs so we can approach a partially fair sample base for camparison...

cheers
2air'

You make a valid point , the stats are not there yet on other brands and/or tires . The problem may not be with Goodyear , it could be with ST tires . Perhaps we should do a survey on how many failures folks are having with there TV or cars . Just trying to narrow it down , there are so many variables . In my own family of six drivers I remember one blowout about 40 years ago . Of the 6 there are more than 1 that never check their tires , unless I do . So my experience is that tires can take quite a bit of abuse without failing.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #181
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
... So my experience is that tires can take quite a bit of abuse without failing.
agree completely that the ST tire is a different beast....

and that most of us give tires quite a bit of abuse and they take it....

but when one does fail the "who me" response rises to the top...

zep here reported a tread separation on a nearly new bias ply tire last year...

picture and post out there somewhere, tires, tires, tires thread i think...

2 weeks ago, a 90s honda accord passed my at about 80mph in nevada

about 100 ft ahead and still in the left lane his rear left tire tread peeled off..

about 3 big pieces in an instant...

the teen driver coasted across my front to the breakdown lane...

the aluminum rim leaving grooves and glint in the asphalt.

30 minutes later he passed me again (at over 90mph) since i was going 78...

with the spare (clearly another size tire)...

BOUNCING down the road...

no kidding and it wasn't a compact spare...

cheers
2air'

Old 10-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
My reponse was to point out that most often the 2002 and earlier dates
are highlighted as the prevlent tire that fails ,and it is, as has been reported many times and posted on .I read on many posts ,and there are hundreds at this point in time on the subject, and the reports on newer or S series tires
that are failing at high rates .This trouble is spread over all the renditions of the marathon with signifigant posts proving it to be certain .Now ,its because they are chinese ,thats the latest reason ,and if the chinese are building
them poorly or maybe using the marathon design to make them ,its still
having problems .to say that the other brands surley will be failing just as often is a wait and see thing ,and hardly the way to boost marathon loyalty.
I think the fact that some are running 3 axle coaches has a great effect on
the tire life and failures ,6 tires support the weight better than only 4 .
2airs had very good luck ,6 tires ,many other folks just have not ,thats
just the way it is .

Scott of scottanlily