Old 10-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #155

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
With a chunk that size missing, so much for balanced running gear .
Did it leave any marks in the wheel well when it departed company?
Not that I can see. I'll look closer at it, but from what I can tell there is no exterior damage nor wheel well damage. The belts held together until we started backing into the drive. Literally I'm just missing a chunk of tire. My gut is that it came off probably in the last 5 miles of travel. I can't see the tire holding together that long at 60 mph.

I am so fortunate that it held together as long as is did.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #156

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I strongly recommend going to E-rated tires as a large number of folks around here (including myself) have done. After a long series of Marathon failures, there has not been even one E-rated failure among any of us who have changed. With your slide, you have a very heavy trailer and the extra strength sure won't jurt.

I have the Maxxis and the first time I lifted one it was apparent that it is a lot more tire and the cost was about the same as the Marathons.

With the E-rated, I can carry a bit more pressure in hot weather which keeps the tire temperature down. I carry 5 more pounds in the Maxxis than I carried in the Marathons which doesn't affect the ride much, but sure helps temperature when it is over 100 degrees.
John, are you using the 8 ply rated ST Maxxis? I thought those were more costly than the Marathons. Sam's Club is quoting $105 for the 6 ply rated Marathon.

Jack

AIR #56
Old 10-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #157
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm with John on this one....I know first hand that Jack follows ALL the best practices and drives very conservatively. Though I agree that there will be higher failure rates if you have more tires out there than anyone else, but 4 years 7500 miles. This is becoming far too common of a tale. Jack and I have gone round and round on this topic for months, going from Marathons, back to Marathons and just about everywhere in between. His coach, though different than mine, are almost the same age and have about the same mileage on them.

In spring, I can tell you first hand, after this one, Marathons are no longer on my list, I don't care how many years and miles some folks have on their Marathons...this one just forced Marathons off my replacement list. I'm leaning toward Maxxis. Even if they cost more, I shudder at what could have happened to Jack if he lost it while in transit.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:15 PM   #158
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Not that I can see. I'll look closer at it, but from what I can tell there is no exterior damage nor wheel well damage. The belts held together until we started backing into the drive. Literally I'm just missing a chunk of tire. My gut is that it came off probably in the last 5 miles of travel. I can't see the tire holding together that long at 60 mph.

I am so fortunate that it held together as long as is did.

Jack
So Jack, what's going to go on next? Marathons again? Your trailer is a good test bed for trailer tires. It's very heavy for a dual axle. Not meaning to exploit your misfortune, ( or is it luck) from your last trip.
My 4 Marathons are holding up well, so far. I certainly don't trust them very much any longer, and am checking them quite often while towing, and in the warehouse. My trailer is also much lighter than yours. My axle weight travel ready is about 4800lbs, carried by 4 D-rated tires inflated to 50lbs.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #159
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Thumbs up Maxxis pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
John, are you using the 8 ply rated ST Maxxis? I thought those were more costly than the Marathons. Sam's Club is quoting $105 for the 6 ply rated Marathon.

Jack
Hi Jack,
Some more info: I paid roughly $95 per tire, installed on the rims for "D" rated Maxxis trailer radials at Discount Tire Co. The company HQ is in Taiwan and the factory is in Thailand.
That price was with me carrying them in. The store is on a super busy road and their parking lot was very trailer-unfriendly.
So far, so good. We are heading out for a long trip soon.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #160

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I strongly recommend going to E-rated tires as a large number of folks around here (including myself) have done. After a long series of Marathon failures, there has not been even one E-rated failure among any of us who have changed. With your slide, you have a very heavy trailer and the extra strength sure won't jurt.

I have the Maxxis and the first time I lifted one it was apparent that it is a lot more tire and the cost was about the same as the Marathons.

With the E-rated, I can carry a bit more pressure in hot weather which keeps the tire temperature down. I carry 5 more pounds in the Maxxis than I carried in the Marathons which doesn't affect the ride much, but sure helps temperature when it is over 100 degrees.
Hey John!

Well I've pretty much can't find a local outlet for the tires. The place you gave me (I think it was you) said they were wholesale only and said they didn't handle trailer tires. I called Maxxis and all they could give me was some distributors in northern and western Missouri.

As it ends up my neighbor who is in sales is headquartered in Lebanon Missouri about 140 miles southwest of us. He ran into a fellow down there who coincidently has been round and round with Goodyear on the poor performance of his Marathons. This guy recommended Maxxis, and my neighbor knew I was looking.

Bottom line he's going to pick me up 4 tires from the local Maxxis dealer down there. Great prices for a set of 4, $340.83 for the D rated ST radials or $396.58 for the E rated ST radials. The dealer's suggestion based on my trailer weight was to go with the E's. According to the Maxxis inflation chart I technically could inflate anywhere from 65 to 80 psi. At 65 psi the tires are rated just like the D's at 2,540 lbs per tire. At 70 psi they rate at 2,620, 75 psi at 2720, 80 psi at 2830.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 10-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Jack

My trailer is a quite a bit lighter than yours. With the E-rated Maxxis, I run 65# in cool weather and 70# in real hot weather. I frequently check with my IR thermometer and the tires are running quite cool even at over 100 degrees.

If you lift the E-rated Maxxis in one hand and a Marathon in the other, you will be amazed at how much more tire the Maxxis is.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #162

Fenton , Missouri
I'm leaning towards the E-rated tire. The tire dealer recommended that we go with the E since the sidewall is a little stiffer. I think I've seen one report on the forum from someone who went with the D who felt that the trailer had exhibited a little more sway. That person's thought was that the sidewalls on the Maxxis D-rated tire might be a little softer than the Marathons.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 10-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #163
_

. , .
that looks like a great price jack...

who's gonna mount them for ya?

get the 'e' rated tires, it has the widest options for air pressure...

yes they are heavier so stay on top of the balance issue...

wouldn't want yer runnin' gear bouncing around...

centramatics!

look forward to the user reports.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #164

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
that looks like a great price jack...

who's gonna mount them for ya?

get the 'e' rated tires, it has the widest options for air pressure...

yes they are heavier so stay on top of the balance issue...

wouldn't want yer runnin' gear bouncing around...

centramatics!

look forward to the user reports.

cheers
2air'
I got a recommendation from a relative who owns his own auto repair shop of someone that specializes in handling aluminum wheels. It will be $15 a wheel not including balancing. He'll also dispose of the tires for me. I'm going to pull the wheels and remount them myself. That way we have no issues regarding jacks and I'll torque the lug nuts myself.

My gut feeling is I'll run these about 70-75 lbs.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 10-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
i'm lookin for some cheap *ss tires for my super expensive 'dream stream...

any thoughts?

cheaper the better...

kevbo
Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #166
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
Don’t ignore warning signs

Yesterday we took off the middle curb side tire which had developed a slow leak. Once we rolled it to find the “nail” we were totally taken by how UGLY the shape looked.
A bulge in the inner wall, a “tall” section at the inner tread, and what looked like a “cliff” in tread meets inner sidewall.
Goodbye Goodyears; hello new Maxxis load range E.

The picture tries to show the worst of these tire distortions, they are very obvious in person, not so much in the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire-sep-small.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	47592  
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:26 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, aluminauts. That tire is wasted. At first, I would say don't be so wasteful, just replace the one bad tire. But my second thought was, are those your original 2003 model tires? If so replace all six. [or seven] As for changeing brands, I'm personally not convinced that they are any better. Time and mileage will tell.
Is there anyone on this forum that has, let's say, five years and fifty thousand miles on an Airstream trailer with tires other than Goodyear Marathons? We would like to hear from you. Or is it too soon for anyone to give us a first hand report on your experience with other brand trailer tires?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #168
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I have 18 months and 25,000 miles. it will probably be 20 months and 35,000 and they will all be worn out and ready to replace.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote