Old 07-19-2016, 05:47 AM   #43
Avion Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Actually, if your trailer has tires on it, your tire worries are never over. Always a good idea to cover them to protect them from the sun, check them frequently while travelling: before you start out check the condition and the pressure, and any time you are stopped do a walk-around and include an inspection of the tires. Don't overload them. TPMS is always a good idea, but don't let the presence of a TPMS system make you think it's the only way you need to monitor your tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
Tires have always been a hot topic on the forum. After reading the horror stories on the forum I was extremely nervous with the GYM's so after a couple of years I changed them to Michelins. While checking the pressure this spring I noticed the the Michelins had severe cracks. I was shocked. I thought when I upgraded my tire worries were over. Cant remember exactly but they are ether 3 or 4 years old. I was thinking about getting a TPMS but now I am not sure its a good idea. I would not have notices the cracks if it I wasn't on my knees checking the pressure the old fashion way.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:49 AM   #44
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There is no such thing as a perfect tire. They are all made of rubber and all have the potential to fail. Take care of them, regardless of brand, and they'll take care of you.

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
Timberrock,

Thanks for the info. I have a TPMS and have never seen my tires above 100 degree and only saw 97-98 on a 90 degree day after traveling 300+ miles across Nebraska. Is the temp default your using pre installed or did you set it at that temp? I have my alarms at 75 psi (15% swing from 65psi) and at 115 for temp. Do you remember if the tires that had the wear ran a little hotter or had higher pressures. Just wondering if a tires wearing a little more aggressively will show a slight temp or pressure change. Have you rotated them at all during their life? I am not on the GYM panic squad. I have some 10,000 miles on them at this point. I just looking for experiences with the life of the tire and how to best use the TPMS system as a tool to be more informed.

Thanks again for the info

Safe travels
Joe D
Old 07-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Really?
My tires go to 120 degrees, but it is likely already 100 degrees anyway when it happens.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
M.hony,

I have not experienced more than a 10-12 degree above ambient temp in the tires when traveling on the highway. I usually see 70-71 PSI from 65psi cold. More interested in finding out if the wear the OP experienced could be observed by monitoring the TPMS. I rotate tires every 2500miles so I do get to take a good look at the tires a couple times a year. So far I have even wear across all four tires. Rotated twice side to side and twice front to back.

Thanks
Joe D
Old 07-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #48

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
Tires have always been a hot topic on the forum. After reading the horror stories on the forum I was extremely nervous with the GYM's so after a couple of years I changed them to Michelins. While checking the pressure this spring I noticed the the Michelins had severe cracks. I was shocked. I thought when I upgraded my tire worries were over. Cant remember exactly but they are ether 3 or 4 years old. I was thinking about getting a TPMS but now I am not sure its a good idea. I would not have notices the cracks if it I wasn't on my knees checking the pressure the old fashion way.
Take a look at the manufacture date on the tires. That will tell you your real age of your tires. How often does your trailer roll? Tires do need to be exercised and any tire that just sits will deteriorate faster than one which rolls more. Part of the reasoning is the fact that there are compounds in the tires that migrate to the surface as a tire rolls. Those compounds protect against ozone and sun damage. When your trailer is stored, be sure to cover the tires. That keeps the UV off the sidewalls. Watch your pressures.

There was a recall on the Michelin LTX 16" tires 2 or 3 years ago.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/hel...calls/ltx.html

You might consider checking to see if your tires were part of the recall.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #49
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Edit -Thanks JC - the measure of someone's smarts is how much they agree with you.

Naper - any chance we could see some pictures of the cracks. Also, the date code on the tires would be helpful. Three years is a surprise, but there was a recall for some 2010-2012 production.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/hel...calls/ltx.html
Tire Description DOT Sequence DOT Production Periods (Inclusive)
Michelin LTX M/S LT 225/75R16 115/112R LRE B3JH AKEX 0210 – 2512

All data and information on tires is helpful. Experience counts. Opinions, not so much, but it's always fun to hear them. Pat
Old 07-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Observation, if all the perported horror stories reported here were true does anyone truly believe that Airstream and Goodyear would still be specifying Marathons for travel trailers?
Old 07-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #51
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Observation, if all the perported horror stories reported here were true does anyone truly believe that Airstream and Goodyear would still be specifying Marathons for travel trailers?

The stories may be true. But it is not a representative sample.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #52

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Yep and the reason is that ST tires by their nature are designed for trailer towing. And Airstream and most RV manufacturers are not going to deviate from that standard unless they can find a marketing advantage that will lead to more sales. If you follow many manufacturer or generic RV forums, you will find the same issues dealt with here regarding ST tires are echoed there. Take a glance at the RV.Net site (Goodsam) and look at the debates there. No different than here.

My issue is with ST tires themselves rather than Goodyear. Goodyear takes the bad rap only since they provide the lion's share of trailer tires used by most trailer manufacturers. In addition I really think that the life limiting factor for ST tires is the speed restrictions, and the combination of weight of your trailer and length of time that your ST tire is in use. In my case the practical life of ST tires on my trailer is about 3 seasons. My failures on two different brands of ST tires occurred at the end of season 3 or the beginning of season 4. With this experience in mind, the LT tire is a much more cost effective solution if I replace them after 5 seasons of use.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My beef isn't with Goodyear either, but with ST tires in general.
I have had Carlisle ST tires fail, too.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
You won't hear from the 100's of thousands of ST tires on the road that never failed. Just the ones that do. Think about all the rv, boat, utility, horse and other types of trailers out there with ST tires on them that never have a problem. The internet is a great place to give a small % of problems a BIG voice.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
...and you seldom hear of problems with P-rated or LT tires on the Internet...
I ignored all the hype until my second set of ST tires failed...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
You won't hear from the 100's of thousands of ST tires on the road that never failed. Just the ones that do. Think about all the rv, boat, utility, horse and other types of trailers out there with ST tires on them that never have a problem. The internet is a great place to give a small % of problems a BIG voice.
Amen....finally a sensible comment on ST's. I have run GYM's for over 15 years on an Overlander, one set for 13 years and many miles (not recommended) with only one flat with a nail in it. That set was made in Canada. My current set with about 2,000 miles on it was made in China. I don't like the fact that they were made in China because I try hard to buy USA made products but at the time they were all I could get. The other thing I am amazed by is folks running speeds as high as 80 mph and tire pressures ranging from 60 to 85 psi. I run my GYM's at 43 psi based on the Good Year pressure/load chart published on their web site. I get a fairly soft ride with no rivets rattling loose and I feel safer at speeds closer to 60mph. Some folks complain that ST's have a 65 mph speed limit. I think anyone who pulls a trailer faster than that is asking for trouble.