Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 07:47 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Third time is charm, trying to reply to this topic. The "checking your browser" just keeps giving me a blank screen. On another post I found that using the back button and pasting my reply AGAIN seems to work.

I have GYMs on my boat and AS and I add 10+ lbs. to the maximum per the GY memo. I travel at 60-70 mph, going to 75 only if I happen to go downhill and not pay attention to my speed, which is rare.

I take an annual trip with the boat up to northern Wisconsin, 900+ miles each way. This past winter we took the AS down to central Florida, back up through the panhandle to Louisiana, then up north through Mississippi, across Arkansas to Texas, then returning to Kentucky through western Tennessee. That trip was 3,360 miles over all sorts of roads, a memorable drive across Arkansas on US 82 (not recommended) and some bouncy Interstates. I never noticed any difference in handling.

The GYMs on my AS are now 6 years old and look great, like new. I just don't seem to have the luck that others are having. My tires are 14" (boat too) and the max inflation is 50 lbs. which I push to 60. Maybe it's just the larger tires that have the problem???
YMMV
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Hmm...
I wish you had asked me about Hwy 82...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Hmm...
I wish you had asked me about Hwy 82...
Yeah, that makes 2 of us
I was talking with the park host and they asked which way we were going and they told us that we could go through town to get to Hwy 82 instead of the way the GPS had brought us in. He never mentioned that Hwy 82 was in such bad shape. Having to travel it in that downpour that flooded Arkansas didn't help either, a definite test of driving skills.

Live and learn, I won't forget that road in our future travels.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I pretty much avoid the southern half of Arkansas.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-21-2016, 09:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Not going to try to look it up again but I have seen the Goodyear information that said to pump them up to 75 psi for speeds above 65 mph. It is pretty old information.

No, I am not doing it. I would not do it. Neither pump them up to 75 or run faster than 65 with them.

But what do I know. I have a fairly light weight Airstream. (6400 lbs axle rating) I run P-XL tires on my Airstream at 50 psi and they are rated to a lot faster than I want to go.

The +10 psi does NOT apply to P type tires but only GY Marathon. No other brand or type tire is covered by the GY document. The +10 psi also does not increase the load capacity.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:15 PM   #46
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
It is my belief that the inflation pressure in the tables is the minimum pressure to support the stated load, not the maximum, and one can inflate up to the maximum pressure on the sidewall without negative effect on the tire. But like others have stated, I don't have to worry about this because I put on the 16" Michelins.

Al

Correct re minimum and maximum
Old 06-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
"Goodyear doesn't know what load is placed on the tire, or what additional stresses (tandem axles, etc.) are imposed. Airstream does."

I agree that GY does not know what load is applied in an eventual application. It must be up to the application builder to determine that and then using information from the tire manufacturer determine the tire and its pressure. As far as AS knowing the stresses, I don't know how they would. They told me that they do not have dynamic models of the trailers and they do not appear to be the type of company that would go and actually measure some technical data.

Maybe they need to read some technical papers if they are not going to do the basic engineer I would expect of a vehicle manufacturer.

You can learn more about the special loading on tires on TT with multiple axles if you Google "Interply Shear tires"

Maybe someone can tell AS about how Google works.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #48
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Mark's info above is correct. Several manufacturers allow this, Maxxis and a couple others in writing. For example, I run Maxxis "E" rated ST tires on my 30 FC. Without looking at the charts, I believe the weight of my 30 requires somewhere close to 50 psi to carry the load. I keep the 4 tires at 75 psi so, when doing 70 to 75 mph downhill, I'm not concerned.
With the LT tires that many have gone to, the speed restriction is not a factor. But they have given up sidewall strength and thus some protection against side shearing forces. Take a look at your tandem tires during a sharp backing turn. That's one reason why ST tires are recommended for twin axle trailers. However, if you want to drive fast, buy LT tires.

Wondering... When you go down hill do you also run your engine 10% above the Redliine?

The shear forces of concern are not in the sidewall but at the edge of the belts. Basically sidewall failures are from low inflation. Belt separations are from excess Interply Shear forces on old, overheated belt rubber.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguegaston View Post
I am scratching my head over the 2017 owners manual recommendations.

'The maximum speed rating on the tires installed
on your trailer is 106 MPH. Do not exceed this
rating. Failure to heed this warning could cause
catastrophic tire failure resulting in property
damage, personal injury, and/or death."

Really? 106 MPH"

Jason

That sounds just like a lawyer talking.
Clearly someone has no understanding of tire performance or vehicle dynamics. In RV service 75 is the Max according to major tire companies. Like Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone. You know the big guys that put their name on the sidewall of the tires they make.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #50
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
That sounds just like a lawyer talking.
Clearly someone has no understanding of tire performance or vehicle dynamics. In RV service 75 is the Max according to major tire companies. Like Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone. You know the big guys that put their name on the sidewall of the tires they make.
That have money, insurance and lawyers to pay claims because they have a super store logo on their back. (And it isn't Walmart or K-mart)

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have not read all the posts in this tread but have over the years read enough treads on GM to ask why would anyone ask a question about GM other than what to replace them with.

if you are a trailer owner running GM and have not yet had a GM blow you are a trailer owner that will have a GM blow out.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #52
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
^^^ And that is an opinion. May be an unpopular opinion on this forum.

I do not and have not ever had a Goodyear Marathon tire. Mostly because those tires have not come on the older trailers I have had. And I am not in the tire business at all.

However my guess is there are millions of those tires produced and many still on the road. And they are still being produced.

Are they great for every application? I doubt it
Are they the best tire? Not likely
Are they a high end tire? Nope
Are they good for your application? Only you can answer that.

However there must be some benefit that outweighs the cost of production because a company like Goodyear doesn't keep producing a bad product and stay in business over a 100 years. And if it was such a bad product or defective the NHTSA would have forced a recall long ago.

Maybe it is not good for you. That just doesn't mean it is not good for some one else.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

I do not and have not ever had a Goodyear Marathon tire. Mostly because those tires have not come on the older trailers I have had. And I am not in the tire business at all.

However my guess is there are millions of those tires produced and many still on the road. And they are still being produced.

However there must be some benefit that outweighs the cost of production because a company like Goodyear doesn't keep producing a bad product and stay in business over a 100 years. And if it was such a bad product or defective the NHTSA would have forced a recall long ago.

Maybe it is not good for you. That just doesn't mean it is not good for some one else.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Well said.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Looks like I have been out opinioned 5 to 1. Maybe a picture will help. At 5 am they are hard to detect and luckily only did minor damage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marithon.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	264945  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #55
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I can totally understand your opinion based on your experience. And let's assume for a bit without question that the tire was/is defective. Goodyear makes millions (I am assuming) of these tires. They are not immune from defects or bad assemblies or bad materials. Just like any other tire manufacturer or any manufacturer of any product or good. This is why companies have warranties to give them an opportunity to make good any defects in material or workmanship after an event based on a defective product. Manufacturers have a warranties so a potential consumer can feel at least there is some positive action that will happen before they buy a product. For a tire company like Goodyear that has been in business for over a century, they have a track record that they will be around next week, next month,next year and in the forseeable future. Not many companies have that kind of history. Making a bad product 100% of the time does keep that kind of track record.

Then there are other possibilities for the picture, not stating this is the cause. And know I am far from a tire expert however I do know that the environment that tires operate is a tough one.
Overloaded
Under inflated
Road hazard
Over aged
And likely others that escape me at this point.

The disagreement I have is your statement of, "if you are a trailer owner running GM and have not yet had a GM blow you are a trailer owner that will have a GM blow out." This statement is just untrue as it assumes EVERY GM tire is bad. It is a blanket assumption that you made and I am now assuming, you made based on your experience.

Just because you had the experience does not mean EVERYONE will have the same one. Likely there are millions of GM tires out there that would prove the above statement to be a gross exaggeration.

Good luck traveling.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #56
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Talked to a couple two days ago. They have one of the Retro trailers. Later that evening we got started talking tires. They have Cokers with the white sidewalls. Told to not inflate them over 35psi. They mentioned that they have a sister with an AS who is headed to Alaska after a trip back and forth across the states. Seems they had three tire failures. I wonder?

Everyone travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #57
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Looks like I have been out opinioned 5 to 1. Maybe a picture will help. At 5 am they are hard to detect and luckily only did minor damage
For 10 years, my job was to look at tires that looked like that and determine - as best I could - what caused the failure.

I can tell you that I have seen many tires that look like that and the vast majority of them had a puncture of some sort. Note that the tread and belt package is more or less intact.

The failure mode that indicates an issue, with either the design or the quality level of the tire, would be a separation between the 2 belts, and the tread and top belt would detach more or less as a unit, leaving behind that bottom belt on the casing with the casing still inflated. Obviously running the tire after that occurs does tend to lead to punctures and loss of air, which complicates analyzing the situation.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There are many people on this forum stating personal experience with Goodyear Marathon and other ST tires.
I kept my tires properly inflated, rotated, balanced, never hit a curb and still had 2 sets of ST tires come apart- one set of Goodyear Marathons and one set of Carlisle.
I'm sure everyone else who has experienced tread separation on ST tires did the right thing as best they could.
I am convinced that ST tires are an inferior product and have a maximum life of 3 years at best.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Everyone can by whatever tires they choose.
There are too many testimonies of the exact same experience to discount it.
I have lived it- twice.
No more ST tires for my money.
I have P-metric tires on my golf cart trailer and LT tires on my camper.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Wondering... When you go down hill do you also run your engine 10% above the Redliine?
Come on Tireman, we all know you are the self proclaimed tire expert. But this comparison, really, kind of rediculious.

We also know Industry standards dictate that ST tires are restricted to a speed of 65 mph unless a different speed restriction is indicated on the tire sidewall. But, today's ST tires by Goodyear, Carlisle and Maxxis are all produced with higher speed ratings. Maxxis M8008s, for example, are "Q" tires. 99 MPH. There are written instructions by most tire companies on what to do if you want to operate above 65 mph. So, no ST problem here, but that's just me.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:26 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Come on Tireman, we all know you are the self proclaimed tire expert. But this comparison, really, kind of rediculious.

We also know Industry standards dictate that ST tires are restricted to a speed of 65 mph unless a different speed restriction is indicated on the tire sidewall. But, today's ST tires by Goodyear, Carlisle and Maxxis are all produced with higher speed ratings. Maxxis M8008s, for example, are "Q" tires. 99 MPH. There are written instructions by most tire companies on what to do if you want to operate above 65 mph. So, no ST problem here, but that's just me.
Ive never seen a trailer tire with a Q speed rating. But my trailer tires have an N speed rating which is 81 mph.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote