Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
toronto , ontario
Goodyear has SILENT RECALL

Went to a Goodyear tire store in Toronto Canada (they only sell goodyear), asked about Marathon Tires "D" load , and mentioned the problem goodyear was having with tread separation, (he new nothing about the problem) sooo he did a search on the company computer and said "OH they have a silent recall on the Marathons, but he wouldnt expand on what he had read, he then suggested I go to a local tire dealer who can supply other type trailer tires.

comforting isnt it!!!!!!
letsgo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
YEP..we got it

...my Marathons were made in Canada, and I have heard that they are also coming apart at the seams.

Time
Old 09-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
_

. , .
my understanding is this RECALL issue was related to tires made...

3-5 YEARS ago...

when they were ALL canadian or usa made.

unless you've got more specific info on something recent...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
After having THREE Goodyear Marathon blowouts on my western trip in May/June, I am really glad to hear that there is a "silent recall". What kind of idiots are running Goosyear these days.What the hell is a silent recall??? That's plain STUPID.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
...That's plain STUPID.
and it just may be fiction...

i'm not defending goodyear but the thread title and original post offers ZERO...

ALL of the recall info silent or otherwise,

that i've found is from the 90s or 5-7 years past.

with domestically made tires.

so without specifics this thread doesn't help us much...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
One of my Goodyear Marathons fell apart about a week ago. The tire technician judged it to be a defective tire.

I'm planning to take the old tire to a Goodyear store to hear their reaction. We need to get a new spare but I am reluctant to return to Marathons (for obvious reasons). If anything, I probably should get the remaining 3 original Marathons off the Airstream.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm a big Goodyear Marathon fan. My three blowouts on one trip made me that way. When the first one blew, the Goodyear dealer in Dallas that I went to told me there is no warranty on trailer tires (I guess that's because they're crap). I thought it was a fluke, and replaced it with another Marathon. Boy, was I stupid. After two more Marathon blowouts the following week, I decided to try the Maxxis load range E's. So far, so good.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
the Goodyear dealer in Dallas that I went to told me there is no warranty on trailer tires...
once again not true...

there is no 'treadlife warranty' like many many other tires...

but there is a 'defects' warranty, with replacement or prorated after 2/32s wear.

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_warranty_0306.pdf

i hope the maxxis (cheng-shin rubber) work out for ya....

cheers
2air'

Old 09-18-2007, 12:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I run the hercules that are bias and cheng shin ,as are the tires on my 70 honda trail 90 motorbike .Cheng shin makes many obsolete tires that fit
vintage motorcycles ,japanese or british and other makes .They are working out pretty well .Ive not searched out cheng shin specifically ,and really
didn't want any chinese anything to tell you the truth ,but some of these tires are not available anywhere else anymore when it comes to older vintage bikes or bias tires .you run what works and doesn't come apart ,its just that simple ,Maaxis and other brands just are working out really well for alot of people willing to go ahead and try them .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:09 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Our first trip from Florida to Washington returning through Kerrville, Texas, we had a blowout on one Goodyear Marathon brand new 08 31 Classic. Replaced it with a Carlisle "E" rated.
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I went with YOKOHAMA RY215 in 7.00R/15 Load Range C on our Silver Streak. The previous owner had the same and kept the "best" one as a spare. Looks as though he traveled plenty of miles in 7-8 years on them.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
This may be a little off topic but it does/may relate to tire failure. AS says inflate the Marathons to their maximum 65 lbs. The tire placard on my truck says 53 lbs front and 80 lbs rear. When hitched, my rear weighs about the same as the front when not hitched yet the fronts are ok at 53 lbs. The Goodyear site gives pressures based on known loading.

So, why are we maxing out pressures? Is the truck/trailer more stable because the sidewall is stiffer; is there less heat produced for the same reason? One thing is for sure, more pressure means a much harsher ride in the truck and for the trailer. Anyone out there running pressures based on load? Are lower pressures more/less prone to failure.

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #13
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
I realize this is an old thread, however from recent first hand knowledge, the Goodyear silent recall was still active in 2013 regardless of what country the tires were made in. Frankly the sidewalls on any Marathon load range E is about as thick as an old inner tube. I took a proactive position before any of my 7 Marathons blew up into pieces and turned them in to a tire dealer who sells all brands of tires. The dealer never heard of a silent recall but agreed to contact Goodyear while I stood there. Goodyear's response was basically Take them back and give him a full credit toward another brand tire. I sold the 15" Alcoa wheels and purchased new 16 inch rims then had seven Michelin LT225/75R16 tires mounted. Wouldn't you know it, after about 3 years Michelin announced a recall on all those tires so now after about 6 years I'm still stuck with 7 brand new Michelin tires to wear out. Doesn't that beat all? Michelins cost more however, their recall hit the national news without any of the silent recall stuff. A couple months ago I blew out a Firestone TransForce Tire on the Excursion, then replaced all truck tires 4 with Michelins and installed pressure pro sensors all the way around. All that extra expense should be cheaper then replacing the side aluminum on the AS. If I had it to do all over again, I would have checked out the newly engineered Cooper Tires that are Made in the USA.
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Tire problems leave my head spinning. If you can't fix it with Michelins then there must be no right answer.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote