Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #201
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Couldn't be more pleased with ours... 3k, rain, heat, country roads, interstates. No PSI loss, all temps within 2-3*. Running at 70psi, road force balanced, w/centramatics, no stuff on the floor, or popped rivets👍🤗.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c9c.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	322366  
Old 09-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #202
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
I have been reading and will continue to read blogs about tires and pressure. I have had lots of experience towing different RV's with different tires running different pressures. I was shocked when I downloaded a couple tire pressure charts with size/load/tire pressure. A lot of info that I am sure is bunk. I finally called Carlisle tire company after sending them a contact message with a request for their recommended tire pressures. The response was very clear and made one statement. If the tire has stamped on the sidewall a max pressure, then put that max pressure in the tire. And, I might add they are the ones who honor or deny any warranty claims. I have always suspected that this info is the best available. I am convinced that the majority of tire failures is related to low pressure combined with heat, not hitting objects in the roadway. I tow with a 6 wheel dully pickup and can't remember having a tire blowout! Buy-the-way, my truck is in front of the trailer and would be the first to strike any object in the highway. I will run with max pressures from now on.
Uncle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #203
2 Rivet Member

Apopka , Florida
We just completed over 5k trip across the country in the same conditions described above, rain, extreme heat, rough roads. The GYE did fantastic. I will say running them above 65PSI leads to more things out of place and 3 busted rivets on the way with a higher PSI vs only 1 on the return. Ofcourse not all busted rivets can be blamed on tires and PSI.
rfequity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #204
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Indeed - fully agree.

The nuance there was some discussion that you shouldn't see pressure rise more than X% and temps rise 30* above ambient. I remember that because I was always just within those specs with the internals and had TONS of room on temps even though the rise in pressure read the same.

Yup I found this in my direct comparison test - running internal and external at same time on same tires. Published the 6 month test results in my blog if you care.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #205
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Here we are now at the end of summer and I have not heard of any GYE's failing (not road hazard related). That's the second summer since their introduction.

Having tracked this stuff when I was working, that was an extremely good sign. Not definitive, but highly predictive!

Yes agree it "could " be a good sign. But could also shows what happens when people look at and taking care of their tires after spending money on better (higher load range).
If there was also the addition of Nylon cap ply or strips that would also be a major contributor.
Hope they are better than old tires.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Endurance working fine....run manufacturer recommended pressures!!

Just drove from MT to Austin, TX thru Utah and New Mexico with my new Endurance tires. After looking at the tire pressure charts for these tires, as posted on the Forum, I lowered the pressures to 45lbs when cold, per weight of my 28'AS. No issues and very pleased with the performance.

I posted earlier that when I first had the new Endurance tires installed last month, Discount Tire guys had filled to max pressure of 70PSI; wrong!! I noticed a few screws on the floor along with a rivet, after a couple short trips last month running at 70PSI. I would not listen to the "experts" here, telling you to run Max pressure in any tire, without looking at manufacturer recommended load/pressure charts of your tires or talking with the tire manufacturer. My trip last week from MT to TX covered 2200+ miles and I had no screws or rivet issues. The AS tracked very nicely after adjusting pressures to recommended 45lbs. I went off pavement to camp a few times on BLM, and no issues what so ever...also, used my new TST TPMS this trip and was very impressed with having that heat/pressure data on all 4 tires on the AS.. so far, liking the tires and loving the TPMS!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
As of now we have about 2000 miles on ours and we just put on additional 1000 miles on to Cape Cod and back. The ride was smooth except where there wee potholes. I had tire pressure at 69 to 70 pounds and drove on the interstate at around 65mph.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #208
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Too much worrying about tire temperatures....run good tires, you have no problems...my big truck has super singles on front...120 # of air....on a hot day the pressure will go up to 132#...no problems my 13 31’ Classic fully loaded has 7800 on the 4 tires.....225/75 x16 michelins with 25,000 miles and showing no wear.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:30 AM   #209
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I think the Endurance tires are pretty good tires.
Thanks for the info Gypsydad. I may drop the pressure in my Endurance tires. I’ve been running them at just a hair under 70# for the last 3000 miles. No issues with open drawers, doors, rivets etc.. They seem to be doing great. Still haven’t heard of any failures.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #210
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Just completed 1300 mile trip to UP of Michigan. Tires ran between 58 psi and 64 psi and temps averaged 10 degrees higher than ambient temperature running 68 mph according to the TPMS.

I-69 in lower Michigan was enough to shake the kidneys from my body but surprisingly everything stayed intact within the trailer. I even slowed down to 50 mph it was so bad. Not sure how the locals take the miserable roads. Suspension shops probably make good money in this part of the country. I will avoid I-69 at all costs in the future!
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #211
2 Rivet Member

Apopka , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Just drove from MT to Austin, TX thru Utah and New Mexico with my new Endurance tires. After looking at the tire pressure charts for these tires, as posted on the Forum, I lowered the pressures to 45lbs when cold, per weight of my 28'AS. No issues and very pleased with the performance.

I posted earlier that when I first had the new Endurance tires installed last month, Discount Tire guys had filled to max pressure of 70PSI; wrong!! I noticed a few screws on the floor along with a rivet, after a couple short trips last month running at 70PSI. I would not listen to the "experts" here, telling you to run Max pressure in any tire, without looking at manufacturer recommended load/pressure charts of your tires or talking with the tire manufacturer. My trip last week from MT to TX covered 2200+ miles and I had no screws or rivet issues. The AS tracked very nicely after adjusting pressures to recommended 45lbs. I went off pavement to camp a few times on BLM, and no issues what so ever...also, used my new TST TPMS this trip and was very impressed with having that heat/pressure data on all 4 tires on the AS.. so far, liking the tires and loving the TPMS!
I was wondering if the above poster is running the load E GYE tire? If so, don't you wonder if pressures that low might increase the stress on the sidewalls?
rfequity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #212
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfequity View Post
I was wondering if the above poster is running the load E GYE tire? If so, don't you wonder if pressures that low might increase the stress on the sidewalls?
Somewhere earlier in this thread, or another of the GYE threads, one of the tire engineers answered this.
The answer was, paraphrased: use the manufacturers load chart for varying load/pressure. As load is lowered, pressure within the tire can be lowered appropriately, while sidewall flex will remain the same.

He also said an E rated tire can be used as a D rated tire with no ill affect.

But this does not address interply shear forces. Higher pressure is better in this case.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #213
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You may be combining opinions from more than one tire engineer IMO.

"Less IPS using full pressure" may be inconsistent with "lower pressure per load tables for the ride" IMO.

Just a tire layman's hunch.

Peter

PS -- Search results here FYI and FWIW
IPS: https://www.google.com/search?q=inte...=airforums.com
Tire pressure tables: https://www.google.com/search?q=tire...=airforums.com

FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #214
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
<< snip>>
"Less IPS using full pressure" may be inconsistent with "lower pressure per load tables for the ride" IMO.
<<snip>>
I agree with your statement.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #215
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You may be combining opinions from more than one tire engineer IMO.

Just a tire layman's hunch.

Peter

Excellent catch....

Perhaps the TEs (tire engineers) could comment on a happy compromise - for example - assume the scales suggest that with 20% headroom a D is sufficient (65PSI for the load) - but you’re now running E-rated GYEs (max of 80PSI). How would the TEs view a compromise of say 72PSI to carry load and reduce IPS risk?

Valid approach?

Too much for the load therefore rough ride?

Too little (anything less than max) to prevent IPS?

Some/all/none of the above?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
A question for the tire engineers:
If I am using an E rated Goodyear Endurance ST tire, but inflate it to carry the load of a D rated tire, does the speed rating of the tire change?

The reason I asked; I remember reading notes on Goodyear Marathon D rated ST inflation charts that speed rating was increased by inflating an additional 10PSI over max cold pressure, though load rating did not increase.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Too much worrying about tire temperatures....run good tires, you have no problems...my big truck has super singles on front...120 # of air....on a hot day the pressure will go up to 132#...no problems my 13 31’ Classic fully loaded has 7800 on the 4 tires.....225/75 x16 michelins with 25,000 miles and showing no wear.
Your quote above is meant as humor, right? I mean, for me, my investment and my family are very important and there are lots of "other factors" out there on the highway that can cause issues; right? Paying attention to the manufacturer recommended pressures, running with tire pressure sensors, to me is just good common sense. I read the posts of some sever failures on the Forum and other blogs, where the tires were shreaded or blew out due to issues with bearings, brakes, and road hazards....can't be 100% safe, but still want to try and stay on top of things...long stretches in the desert or in the mountains is not where I want to be to get a tire issue....you do watch your gas gauge, right?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 09-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #218
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfequity View Post
My GVW on the AS is 7580-7600llbs typically. Load range on the GYE chart says 45lbs...load range is E on my tires. I am not an expert, but try to follow guidance from "most" of the input here combined with logic input from manufacturer. When in doubt call the manufacturer...my 2 cents.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #219
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
GYE Air pressure chart link

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:01 AM   #220
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
...... Perhaps the TEs (tire engineers) could comment on a happy compromise ……….
Glad to:

The place to start is with the load tables and the ACTUAL load on each tire. That means if you haven't weighed each individual tire, then you're just guessing.

Take the worst loaded tire, then add some reserve capacity (I think 15% is appropriate), and look up on the table what that equates to pressure.

If you are using ST tires, then this still means a 65 mph speed restriction. If you want to tow between 65 and 75 mph, add 10 psi. If you want tow between 75 and 85, add another 10 psi (20 psi total).

If you are using LT tires, then the speed rating of the tire is the speed restriction - and IMHO one shouldn't tow any faster than 2 steps (13 mph) below the speed rating.

Looking at what I said above, it may be that one gets a pressure such that the ride in the trailer is a bit rough - enough to pop some rivets. If that is the case, then I suggest a combination of slowing down and lower pressure - both of which will lessen the amount of force generated when hitting a bump.

You may also ask why haven't the trailer manufacturers done all this so the consumer doesn't have to. Good question.

The car manufacturers kind of backed into this by trying to improve vehicle handling. This took place in place 70's and early 80's.

Pickup and SUV's were forced to examine this after the Ford/Firestone situation in the early 2000's.

Trailer manufacturers were kind of slow on the uptake - but there are hints that even they are examining this (For example, current models of Airstreams are coming with higher pressure specifications - usually accompanied by higher load ranges.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
A question for the tire engineers:
If I am using an E rated Goodyear Endurance ST tire, but inflate it to carry the load of a D rated tire, does the speed rating of the tire change? …….
The speed capability stays the same if you load a load range E tire to load range D standards.

Put another way, the speed capability is the same for both LR D and LR E for the same load and inflation pressure - AND the speed capability is the same for a LR E loaded to a LR E load standard as it is for a LR D loaded to LR D load standards.

- BUT -

Increasing the inflation pressure or decreasing the load results is a higher speed capability (just like those notes say).

And a word of explanation on my use of the words *speed capability* as opposed to the words *speed rating*. Speed rating is the result of a test. That may or may not be the speed capability of the tire under real world circumstances - hence the distinction.

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote