Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #121
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks. In our Flying Cloud 20' model with a single axle, is this shear less of a concern? It would seem that your term "dragged" would apply mainly to multi-axle trailers IMO, and especially during tight turns such as parking.

Thanks,

Peter

While I have no data, I think it is possible that single axle TT might generate less shear.
You could do a mini test yourself by finding a large gravel area. If you make a tight turn do the tires track a smooth curve or do they seem to shift every now and then. Smooth implies less shear. Also when backing into sharp turn do the tires deflect sideways on single axle as they do on multi axle TT?
Old 05-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
While I have no data, I think it is possible that single axle TT might generate less shear.
. . .
Thanks. Indeed, on your blog you note:

"For multi-axle trailers I would consider improved durability, i.e., reduced chance of failure, to be of primary importance. So in this application, the "optimum" inflation pressure would be the pressure on the tire sidewall associated with the maximum load capacity. Even if you are not loaded to the max load you want to lower the "interply shear" forces as much as possible, as trailers induce much higher shear forces than seen in similarly loaded tires would if on a motorhome." [OTRA15: "or on a single-axle trailer" one would infer -- added for possible clarification -- OTRA15]

http://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/label/Pressure

How does the added thought above sound? Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Peter

PS -- Another tire expert has suggested in a PM that on a single-axle trailer, interply shear is not as much of an issue. FWIW.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My trailer is a 1988, 25'. It came with load range C tires and 45 lbs inflation. If I buy the new Goodyear Endurance should I by the load range E 225 or the load range D 205 tires? I have steel wheels. I am currently running 235 x 15 XL passenger tires at 50 psi.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
One first step would be to ascertain the maximum loaded weight of your trailer, which is usually located on your VIN plate. Your owner's manual may also have the information.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You could do a mini test yourself by finding a large gravel area. If you make a tight turn do the tires track a smooth curve or do they seem to shift every now and then. Smooth implies less shear. Also when backing into sharp turn do the tires deflect sideways on single axle as they do on multi axle TT?
Tireman9, thanks for the insight. I am amazed how tight our 20 turns with the TV. It seems to be even tracking with no shift that I am aware of. I'm also not aware of any deflection, but I also do everything possible not to have a need for a sharp turn when backing.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge base and experience.

Happy Trails

Bob

p.s. as for Nokian's comments ""Yes, maximum inflation is 80 psi. If you were to run at 65 psi, max load would be 2335 lbs for single or 2150 for dual application"

Extrapolating out, I was thinking of 70 probably 75 PSI to give sufficient loading in the high 2500 lbs range accounting form some margin of error. It may be best to not split hairs and call it 80 around.
b
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Offical GYE member

The old ST tires on our utility trailer finally bit the dust hauling in a load of hay so it is now time change out some tires.
The tires on the AS were coming due - 4 years old but still look in great shape as I keep them covered and take the weight off in the off season. These AS tires will get transferred to the utility trailer as it sees limited highway use.
Found the best deal on some Good Year Endurance tires through Good Years official website. Now thru the end of July they have a 10% off and $50 rebate. I paid $531.66 (m & b, taxes, tire disposal) and will get the rebate in the mail.
I called several local tire shops and surfed the web and couldn't find a better deal.
Everything was worked through Good Years website and it went like clockwork. The tires were shipped to a local Good Year tire dealer and the appointment was set, all on-line.
There were two frustrating parts of the process.
1.) Good Years website only charged $8 for disposal fee. The actual fee in KY is $4 per tire.
2.) The orange lego blocks are no good on asphalt to get the trailer high enough off the ground as they kept slipping out from the tire. I only had enough wood blocks for one side. I used a bottle jack on the other side.

The technician did a great job with the tires and was conscientious about his work.
- Kept the existing metal valve stems.
- properly balanced
- 65 psi per my request
- put old tires in my truck for me
- used a torque wrench in proper sequence
- Endurance tires seem more rounded, almost bubble like compared to the more squared off Carlisle tires. I suppose this may help in tight turns.
- Fresh tires! - Date code: 1 tire made on the 16th week, 3 tires on 22 week

I cannot complain about the D rated Carlisle tires that were taken off. They had many miles over 65 mph (shame on me) but you have to run with traffic or get run over. I always watched the tire pressure and did regular inspections - this forum can make you anal about tire care.

I almost went with the Michelin Defender 235 tires but the trailer was getting a bit close for comfort (for me) on the weight (fully loaded) and Good Year brought out this new ST tire - I will take the gamble as I have had good luck with the Carlisle ST holding together and only adding air at the beginning of each camping season.

I did cheat a bit on the spare. I went to the local Walmart and bought the latest updated Carlisle tire. It seems like a decent tire and more beefy than the previous generation. It was $61 plus tax - half the price of the GYE. It has a big "Made in China" stamped on the sidewall - I don't feel good about sending money to the Chi-Com's.... The date code on the tire 20th week of 2016.

Here is a pic of the old Carlisle and new Endurance.

Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Nice! Thanks for the update.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Forgot the final finished photo.

Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:09 AM   #129
1 Rivet Member

I have 4 new Endurance ST on my 2015 International 30', I set the cold pressure at 75 which results in the run temperature being about 80psi ( I have TPMS)
I now have 4,000 miles logged in this trip. Excellent results so far with piece of mind that the GYM's are off
AZAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #130
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
This USA made Goodyear comes in a "D" 65 psi for 14 inch wheels also. I'm putting them on my tandem axle boat trailer. Replacing 50 psi tires. This will give me so much more weight cushion. At 65 psi I could carry the boat and trailer if one axle were completely gone. I'll take that overkill any day.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Just installed Goodyear Endurance STs

Excellent discussion. I was wondering what pressure to set the Goodyears to, and now I'm clear. The plate on the 28' Safari says 65 PSI all around for 7300 GWR, and that is what I'll use. I set the previous tires (Maxis) to a little under that, and I may go a little bit over 65 PSI with the load range Es. On a related note, when we left the dealer's yesterday I asked (should have checked) and they said they were 65 PSI. I thought something felt a bit 'squirrelly' on the ride home, and when I checked, they were over 75 PSI. Not right for our Safari.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
Excellent discussion. I was wondering what pressure to set the Goodyears to, and now I'm clear. The plate on the 28' Safari says 65 PSI all around for 7300 GWR, and that is what I'll use. I set the previous tires (Maxis) to a little under that, and I may go a little bit over 65 PSI with the load range Es. On a related note, when we left the dealer's yesterday I asked (should have checked) and they said they were 65 PSI. I thought something felt a bit 'squirrelly' on the ride home, and when I checked, they were over 75 PSI. Not right for our Safari.
I haven't been able to locate a load chart specific to the Endurance tires, so I decided to ask Airstream and they didn't have it either. I asked them what pressure they are inflating the tires to for the different models shipping with them, and they said they are using what Goodyear recommended, which is 80psi. Like you, it seems to me that 80 might be too high for some trailers, so it may just take some experimentation. I plan to start high so that I get the most load capacity and stiffest sidewalls, but if it doesn't ride smoothly, I will back off a little at a time. I am also having the wheels balanced and adding Centramatics, so that may also help.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #133
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Here is the load chart for the new Goodyear Endurance tires.. Found this in another forum..... handy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1156.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	289095  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #134
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
I've never seen a table like this. If you have dual axles, can you use it?
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #135
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Forgive my ignorance- what are "GYM's"
Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #136
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Forgive my ignorance- what are "GYM's"
GYM = Goodyear Marathon, the predecessor to the Endurance.

Quote:
I've never seen a table like this. If you have dual axles, can you use it?
Just an FYI: Most travel trailers have tandem axles. Duals would be when tires are paired up - 4 to an axle.

And, Yes, you can use that table for duals. You just have to reduce the load limitation by 12% per tire. No change for tandems.

Oh and be aware the table is a MAXIMUM, not a recommendation. You should make sure you have a "reserve" (Unused) capacity. Personally, I think that value is 15%.

And don't forget to account for side to side and front to rear variation if you don't weigh the trailer by each corner.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #137
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
The tire placard on my new 27' (7600# GWR) says 80#, which is the tire's max inflation rating. I don't think it's right. My size Endurance tire is rated to a load of 2830#, or 930# per tire more than my trailer will ever weigh . . .
Old 08-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #138
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
The tire placard on my new 27' (7600# GWR) says 80#, which is the tire's max inflation rating. I don't think it's right. My size Endurance tire is rated to a load of 2830#, or 930# per tire more than my trailer will ever weigh . . .
I found the Endurance load / pressure table, and it looks like I could run mine at 50# instead of 80#, the pressure given on the tire placard . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Endurance Load and Inflation Table.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	291314  
Old 08-05-2017, 05:23 AM   #139
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
For those who are going to use the load table to determine the tire's inflation pressure - instead of the vehicle tire placard:

- Those tables are MINIMUMS!! The pressure should be LARGER than what is indicated by the table.

- Don't average the loads on the tires. You have to account for side to side and front to rear load variation. I've used 10% for axle weights and 15% if both tandems were weighed at the same time.

- And the general recommendation is to use the max pressure to reduce InterPly Shear - a force generated when a trailer turns sharply - as in backing into a tight parking place.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
They hold air well too

I needed to move the trailer yesterday, and I had not looked at the tires since July when I had them mounted. So I made sure I checked tire pressure. I was surprised that they were all right about 69 PSI. I ended up letting air out. Left them at 68 PSI. I'm impressed. I have to fill the Michelins on my motorcycle every week.