Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
Update to my update - I ordered my tires from Tire Rack (below) on Feb. 7, they arrived in 21 hours (from Windsor CT to northern VT) Goodyear Endurance, Size: ST225/75R15 - Load Range: E - Max Load 2,830 lbs - Speed Rating 87 mph - Max Inflation 80 psi - Made in USA - I won't be mounting them until the end of March when we prepare for Spring Break in FL.
Thanks for the update. Did you find any reviews for this new tire online? Not likely I guess but worth asking. Will you use a local garage to mount them, and if so maybe you could pass along any scuttlebutt on the new tires. Thanks.

Peter

PS -- FYI:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....5END&tab=Specs

No reviews yet at Tire Rack.

Bingo! --

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/goodye...rance-reviews/

"Goodyear has come out with an excellent trailer tire in the new Endurance. It stands heads and shoulders above the Marathon in every way. Naturally, since this is a new model it will be some time before hearing of any treadlife issues, but if early results are indicative of what you can expect long term, the outlook is very good."
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:43 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I will have the GY Endurance tires, that I purchased from Tire Rack, mounted at a local shop. This will happen just prior to our spring break in April from VT to FL. I'll post opinions once on the road.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #43
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Our Shiny Pete got a set of Goodyear's new Endurance tires today from our local 2nd generation Goodyear dealer. He hadn't seen these yet, and was quite impressed with the tire (sidewall construction he pointed out in particular - very tough). He plans on ordering a stock of them, as he sells 100+ ST tires most weeks (no kidding) He replaces lots and lots of Chinese junkers that it seems that all types of trailers leave the factory with. We're in the country, so a lot of equipment, cargo, farm, etc. trailers here, but RVs too.

The set he received from his distributor carried a Build date of 0817, 15", with the same specs listed earlier in this thread. They're set at 80 psi for now, but I'll probably soften them a bit once I research the pressure tables, as we're under 6800 lbs. We put new metal valve stems on, and balanced the wheel/tire combo's. A set of solid lug nuts will be ordered, as they really struggled with 3 of the 2 piece with the chrome caps that came from the factory.

Just wanted to give the update. Hope this helps someone who doesn't want to go to LTs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1165.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	282476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1166.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	282477  

Name:	IMG_1167.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	282478  
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Thanks. I'm still planning to upgrade to the same tires this summer. About how much per tire, and did you have to show them where to jack up the trailer?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Did they have to add much weight to balance?
Have any pictures of the tread?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:10 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Did they have to add much weight to balance?
Have any pictures of the tread?
There are some pictures here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...170331200904:s
Old 03-31-2017, 06:56 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
I had a set of the same tires put on this week.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #48
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
SeaLevel - I paid $135 per each (plus tax + tire recovery fee), mounted, balanced, and new metal valve stems. I did not let them jack up our beloved Pete. I carried a set of chocking ramps, and pulled one axle on them at a time so they could work on the other axle "hanging free".

Crispyboy - The weights are on the inside of the rim for a clean look, so I didn't pay much attention to how much. Most only required one according to the tap, tap, tap of hammering them on while on the machine. Per insurance regulations, I observed from the bay door..... I know they towed nice the whole 4 miles back to Pete's barn.

And as requested, a couple of tread pics. I guess I should have cleaned the wheel before posting these pics...... Oh well, Pete's for goin' and not showin'.... Now if I can get Goodyear to send me the tire inflation table for these new shoes, I'd be good. They handle 2830 Lbs @ 80psi, but I'm sure not gonna run them that hard since Pete weighs like 6800 Lbs loaded up.......

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1168.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	282513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1169.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	282514  

ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
To my untrained eye - those just look significantly better than any ST tire I've ever seen. Very curious to see how these do over time!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
SeaLevel - I paid $135 per each (plus tax + tire recovery fee), mounted, balanced, and new metal valve stems. I did not let them jack up our beloved Pete. I carried a set of chocking ramps, and pulled one axle on them at a time so they could work on the other axle "hanging free".

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Much appreciated. I only have one tire changing ramp right now, but I am thinking I may just let Airstream Service change my tires as part of my appointment in August. Hopefully they can do a good job of it. I may bring tires with me to the appointment since the price they quoted seemed a bit high.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Spare tire too?

Hi all, forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered. For those replacing their GYM tires with GY Endurance tires, are you changing the spare too, or are you leaving the GYM on there?
ATownTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If the spare is more than 3-4 years old, it should also be changed IMO. The DOT stamp of mfg. date is a small oval with a four digit number for the month and year.

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/How...20Date%20Codes

Given the total cost of one's combined rig, an additional tire is a small percentage cost to pay for safety.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
No, the spare is a year old or there abouts. I would plan on getting the non-spare fixed quickly, but I wonder if there is an issue running two different types of tires/treads/psi for anything over of few miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
If the spare is more than 3-4 years old, it should also be changed IMO. The DOT stamp of mfg. date is a small oval with a four digit number for the month and year.

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/How...20Date%20Codes

Given the total cost of one's combined rig, an additional tire is a small percentage cost to pay for safety.

ATownTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I'm planning on buying the Endurance tires at the end of April to get ready for our summer trip and I'll have the spare, original, (2011) replaced with one of our current tires (2014).
Old 04-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #55
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
ST tires aren't made well enough to be installed on passenger vehicles. Dealers aren't allowed to install them on such, and any warranty is voided. Huge legal liability.

Seeing as how most AS are worth far more than the average new automobile, and that tire failure damage runs to five, six, seven thousand dollars or more . . why would anyone ever install ST tires?

It doesn't matter the name on the sidewall or the country of manufacture or the speed rating. Those are irrelevant.

Quality tires don't cost that much more. LT. What we all of us had to use until not so long ago until "ST" was invented to keep worn-down tire-making machinery in use. No longer good enough for runs of passenger car safety standard tires.

And, Proper inflation for any tandem axle trailer is full sidewall pressure. Weight/Load charts don't apply to trailer service. See posts by contributing tire engineers on this site.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATownTX View Post
Hi all, forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered. For those replacing their GYM tires with GY Endurance tires, are you changing the spare too, or are you leaving the GYM on there?
I left the GYM as spare for now. Just bought Endurances last week.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:27 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
I got a quote Friday from the local Goodyear store for $99.00. I think these look and sound like a big improvement over previous ST incarnations. I'm going from 14 to 15's on my 23. I have the new wheels. Was going to go with an LT but theses are "proper" for the application so I'm going to take a chance on them.
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:44 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLee View Post
I got a quote Friday from the local Goodyear store for $99.00. I think these look and sound like a big improvement over previous ST incarnations. I'm going from 14 to 15's on my 23. I have the new wheels. Was going to go with an LT but theses are "proper" for the application so I'm going to take a chance on them.
Was that price for the load range D tires, which may be appropriate for your 23?
Old 04-03-2017, 06:17 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLee View Post
WaLee,
Make sure the tire company isn't trying to sell you their old stock of GY Marathons at that price. I have not seen GYE's that low in price yet.

I did call Good Year tech support last Friday as I had a few questions about the Endurance tires and they said to use the load inflation table that is on their website.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

If I go with an E rated tire I would only run them at 65 psi max as the current D rating tires on the trailer now have more than sufficient capacity for the scaled weight of the trailer.
I met another Airstream owner with a late model 30' Airstream over the weekend (courtesy parking at my house) and they are running the 235 Michelins with no problems. Tough decision between this new GYE tire and the proven 235/75r15 Michelins.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:23 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
WaLee,
I did call Good Year tech support last Friday as I had a few questions about the Endurance tires and they said to use the load inflation table that is on their website.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
I don't think that chart is applicable to the Endurance line. The ST section only shows a max speed rating of 65, and the inflation pressures only go up to 65. This chart looks like the older one for the Marathons.