Old 01-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb55 View Post
I'm also in VT (South Hero). I have a 2018 30' FC and it came with Endurance tires. My previous trailer was a 2004 25' Safari SS and the last 3 years I had 15" General LT tires on that.
We just got back this week from a 3200 mile trip south. We had crazy (cold) weather. Lows one morning at 8 degrees and only highs in the 60's for a couple of days. I kept and eye on the pressures and ran at 75 psi cold. Some roads were horribly potholed and I know that I hit a few. Especially Rte. 95 in South Carolina and Rte. 81 between Harrisburg and Scranton.
The tires survived fine. But, lots of loose stones so my new trailer got a divot in the alum. and a cracked front window guard. UGH!
I know those first few dings hurt. BUT, the guard did its job....GUARDING the windows! The little dings are battle scars, with stories, which prove you use the trailer.

BTW, the plexi can be replaced with a bit of DIY knowledge, available here on the forum for the low, low price of....FREE. I have several star cracks, but will wait till there are actual holes before replacing. I think I will use polycarbonate.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #42
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Thinking out loud. If your gross weight is 7600 - 1000 tongue weight, or 6600# divided by 4 gives you a tire load of 1650#. Yes/No?

Goodyear's tire chart for the Endurance is the same as the Marathon. Not helpful.

I spent a good deal of time trying to find the magic number and concluded it doesn't exist. I use 65#. I could be wrong.
I'm with you- the 80# recommendation on the placard doesn't make sense to me, but I can't ignore it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Endurance Load and Inflation Table.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	303028  

Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I'm with you- the 80# recommendation on the placard doesn't make sense to me, but I can't ignore it!
Here's what I concluded.
For a vehicle, like a TV, the tire pressure is noted on the door sticker as to what's recommended. On a trailer, the tire pressure is shown as the maximum pressure, and should be varied with the load, but the load chart makes no sense. (Following one chart I should be running 25psi)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I run 60 psi per trailer tire. My trailer has approximately 1850 lbs plus per tire. TPMS says that temperatures are very consistent and do not run hot.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #45
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Here's what I concluded.
For a vehicle, like a TV, the tire pressure is noted on the door sticker as to what's recommended. On a trailer, the tire pressure is shown as the maximum pressure, and should be varied with the load, but the load chart makes no sense. (Following one chart I should be running 25psi)
I would be really interested to see that chart.

In trailer application, you can lower the potential for belt/tread separation by running the pressure on the tire sidewall. This is probably also the pressure suggested by the trailer MFG
Old 01-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #46
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I run 60 psi per trailer tire. My trailer has approximately 1850 lbs plus per tire. TPMS says that temperatures are very consistent and do not run hot.
I would not use the TPMS temperature reading to set pressure. Especially not for trailers.
I suggest you Google Interply Shear tires and read some of the resulting posts.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Burlington , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiper View Post
Thanks VT Wanderer. We are in Burlington, VT. Newbies with a 2012 22' Sport. It has the original tires on it and the previous owner recommended we put new ones on before our spring travels. Have you done much research and what led you to the Endurance?
Hello Tom Piper,
I also live in Burlington.
...looking to acquirre a 22 Sport as well.
Did you find it locally?
OldExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I would be really interested to see that chart.

In trailer application, you can lower the potential for belt/tread separation by running the pressure on the tire sidewall. This is probably also the pressure suggested by the trailer MFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad
Here's what I concluded.
We, too, are considering the Goodyear Endurance as a replacement tire for our 25' Flying Cloud. We run 1450 lbs/tire per scale weights, so going to a tire rated at 2650 lbs/tire at 80 lb pressure is overkill.

Seems like people advocating lower tire pressure than sidewall rating want to cushion the trailer more, but I thought the rubber torsion flex axles and the axle shocks were to provide cushioning.

As the quotes suggest, there is a trade-off of a more cushioned ride versus increased risk of inter-ply shear tire failures.

My question is: What is the best practice? Go full sidewall pressure and trust in the trailer torsion/flex axles to provide the ride, or go reduced tire pressure and let the tire do more flexing/cushioning at the possible expense of more frequent tire failure?

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:42 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Goodyear's tire chart for the Endurance is the same as the Marathon. Not helpful.

I spent a good deal of time trying to find the magic number and concluded it doesn't exist. I use 65#. I could be wrong.
Here is the chart for the Endurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Endurance Load Limits.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	303051  
Old 01-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Okay, let's use your chart.
I question the column "Single". Does that mean a single axle application? Where's Dual?
I digress.
Here was my logic earlier.
"If your gross weight is 7600 - 1000 tongue weight, or 6600# divided by 4 gives you a tire load of 1650#. Yes/No?"

So, a tire load of 1650#, looking at the chart (225/75 R15) indicates you should run at 32#. Problem solved....
Old 01-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Okay, let's use your chart.
I question the column "Single". Does that mean a single axle application? Where's Dual?
I digress.
Here was my logic earlier.
"If your gross weight is 7600 - 1000 tongue weight, or 6600# divided by 4 gives you a tire load of 1650#. Yes/No?"

So, a tire load of 1650#, looking at the chart (225/75 R15) indicates you should run at 32#. Problem solved....
Single means placing one tire on both ends of a single axle, as opposed to dual, like some heavy duty trucks.

You can't simply divide by 4, since the weight inside the trailer isn't normally equally distributed. You'd have to measure the weight on each tire to know for sure.

The chart is for load limits. It doesn't mean you can't inflate the tire for a higher limit than it is carrying. I've put about 10,000 miles on mine at this point, running them at ~76 PSI with no issues.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:34 AM   #52
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
I'll chime in here too I guess. We put the Goodyear Endurance LR-E tires we're talking about here on our Pete, a 27fb twin in the spring of '17, replacing the factory GYM LR-D (build dates of 7-13) that came on it.

I studied the charts when we put them on, and my opinion (right or wrong) is the charts all pretty much say the same thing for all leading Mfg's LR-E ST tires with 2830 lbs cap and max inflation of 80. I even reached out to Goodyear and got a nice reply from a tire rep and a chart similar to SeaLevel's, and he said 60-65 psi for our axle weights. I figured since the coach came with LR-Ds, and the placard wanted max psi of 65 in those, I'd just go with 65 in the LR-Es.

We haven't been that far since, maybe 4000 miles of towing, with last summers trip up into Nothern AL and GA, and the rest weekenders <300 miles each. I am very pleased with these tires. They ride great, they really don't lose air (maybe 1 lb every other month?) compared to the major seeping the GYMs did, and I have a whole lot more confidence in them all around. I didn't hate the GYMs enough to dump them though, so I put them on our enclosed cargo trailer, a huge upgrade over the $10 Chinese tires that came on it....

Hope this helps.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Good report from an actual user, thanks.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:32 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Quote:
I believe that the relationship between weight and inflation pressure is...
The maximum weight at a given inflation pressure to maintain the optimum
tire shape thruout the entire range of inflation pressures.
If the shape of the tire remains the same thruout the range on the chart, why would shear be greater or lesser at any of the recommended inflation pressures
so long as the weight does not exceed the maximum weight at the given pressure ???
Tireman , your thoughts on this. I think shear would be constant and only be reduced if we exceed the recommended pressures.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post
We, too, are considering the Goodyear Endurance as a replacement tire for our 25' Flying Cloud. We run 1450 lbs/tire per scale weights, so going to a tire rated at 2650 lbs/tire at 80 lb pressure is overkill.

Seems like people advocating lower tire pressure than sidewall rating want to cushion the trailer more, but I thought the rubber torsion flex axles and the axle shocks were to provide cushioning.

As the quotes suggest, there is a trade-off of a more cushioned ride versus increased risk of inter-ply shear tire failures.

My question is: What is the best practice? Go full sidewall pressure and trust in the trailer torsion/flex axles to provide the ride, or go reduced tire pressure and let the tire do more flexing/cushioning at the possible expense of more frequent tire failure?

Best practice from tire standpoint is to not use it as a spring or shock absorber. Wile a tire behaves a little like both that's not its primary purpose.

You lower the InterplyShear with an increase in inflation and lower shear lowers probability of belt separation.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #56
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
I believe that the relationship between weight and inflation pressure is...
The maximum weight at a given inflation pressure to maintain the optimum
tire shape thruout the entire range of inflation pressures.
If the shape of the tire remains the same thruout the range on the chart, why would shear be greater or lesser at any of the recommended inflation pressures
so long as the weight does not exceed the maximum weight at the given pressure ???
Tireman , your thoughts on this. I think shear would be constant and only be reduced if we exceed the recommended pressures.

Shear increases with slip angle. Increased inflation lowers slip angle. Shear force increase with tire belt bending and bending increases with load and lowers with increased inflation.
None are 1:1 but all are inter-related. Takes some serious computing power to get the numbers but in general trailers drag the tires around corners which significantly increase the shear forces.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Tracktown USA , Oregon
Quote:
Shear increases with slip angle. Increased inflation lowers slip angle. Shear force increase with tire belt bending and bending increases with load and lowers with increased inflation.
None are 1:1 but all are inter-related. Takes some serious computing power to get the numbers but in general trailers drag the tires around corners which significantly increase the shear forces.
Tireman9, If I understand your posts on various threads and here correctly, this is more of (if not entirely) an issue for dual axles as opposed to single axle bambi's? Maybe I misunderstood.

Thanks
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Quote:
To rephrase my question....
Is the shear going to be the same for a tire inflated to 55 lbs at maximum weight as a tire inflated to 80 lbs at maximum stated weight. Weight and inflation as stated in inflation chart.
The shape of the tire should be the same for both scenarios.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I understand, at least I think I do, the relationship with shear stress and inflation pressure. Won't the load have a effect also? Would you run max pressure at 50% of load rating just to avoid shear stress?
Old 01-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Single means placing one tire on both ends of a single axle, as opposed to dual, like some heavy duty trucks.
Ah...I see now!
Quote:
You'd have to measure the weight on each tire to know for sure.
Not so easy. I once attended an RV rally where a company weighed your RV on the way out using a thin scale under each wheel. Seems like I paid $25 and they mailed me the results. I wish they'd show up at Airstream rallies, they'd stay busy.
Might have been these guys.
http://www.rvsafety.com/weighing/whe...ition-weighing

The site also has the tire pressure inflation charts.