Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Good Marathons!

This is a follow-up of my original Marathon tire thread.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...sue-89518.html

To re-cap, I found a tire on our new 2012 16’ Serenity that was out of round. Goodyear happily replaced the tire and after they were done I checked their work and the tire with a Hunter “RoadForce” balancer, before remounting it to the Airstream. At that time the RoadForce numbers generated by my machine were very good and I promised to retest after some mileage and report back here. As we just put about 1800 miles on the Bambi going to Alumapalooza and back I thought I would bring the Airstream to work and check the tires again. We actually have about 3000 miles on them now since the first test and I hoped that we would see no change…

So, imagine my delight when I found RoadForce numbers on the tires have not changed at all! Not only that but they are so very low that I’d say they are in the top 95% of tires we test here. What does this mean? It means that my tires are very round even at 60 psi (the highest pressure the machine will perform the test at) and that they are stable so far. It means that for the time being I will continue to trust the Marathons. By the way, the tires had numbers of 2 lbs. and 4 lbs. RoadForce. The bad tire had a number of 40 lbs. It is not unusual to see numbers in the high teens to low 20’s on a LT tire. One tire needed 5 grams of weight to be perfectly in balance….. Not too shabby!

For what it is worth, we find new tires of all brands that have issues on a fairly regular basis. I do not quantify the failures but I do know that no manufacturer has objected to our asking for another tire due to high RoadForce numbers and we have seen examples from many brands of tires. The very expensive Pirelli Scorpions that my Ford F-150 came with had 3 bad tires within the first month. I had no problems getting them replaced…
I’ll let you know how these tires perform over the next year.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Bruce

thanks for posting this. very informative and straightforward.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote