Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Good Cheap 12V Air Compressor Suggestions

Does anyone have some good experience with a good cheap 12V Air compressor that can handle high volume SUV and trailer tires? I am not looking for something that costs as much as a BMW.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I still carry one but rarely ever use it now that I have a large 110 volt unit that I use to inflate my van and trailer tires.

The biggest issue I've had with the 12 volt units is that when you are dealing with higher pressures, like my E rated tires on my van and Airstream, raising pressures take some time. This was especially evident when filling the tires after the trailer sitting all winter. This long run time takes it toll on the 12 volt compressor which is air cooled and gets hot enough to burn you if it isn't shielded. On those long run times I've seen my 12 volt unit lock up. In other times the 12 volt plug gets so hot that it has melted.

The last one I bought came from WalMart. I carry it in case I need a touch up of air when on the road. Usually the difference in prices are based on features that are bundled with the pump rather than pump quality. I have seen some which while still air cooled have a small cooling fan to promote air flow. I would assume that might promote longer life if the pump is used for extended run times.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When I first starting looking for a compressor, I could only find two types—one group cost a lot —over $200 and mostly around $300. They attached to the batteries and could pump over 100 psi. The others plugged into a cigarette lighter receptacle and couldn't pump enough for LR E tires. They are very slow as Jack says and will eventually overload the cigarette lighter circuit.

I was in Costco and saw a compressor for about $65 that attached to the batteries for more amps and would pump over 100 psi. I bought it and it works fine. Since I got Michelin LTX tires, I rarely have to use it since they don't lose air. I wish I could remember the name and whether Costco still carries it, but there are reasonably priced compressors that will work for higher pressures. They have to have alligator clips for the battery terminals and state they will pump more than enough for your tires.

Keep looking. They are out there.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Does anyone have some good experience with a good cheap 12V Air compressor that can handle high volume SUV and trailer tires? I am not looking for something that costs as much as a BMW.

Perry
Perry,
In my book there is no such thing as good and cheap.

This is what I use with good results. It has filled fully flat truck tires. IIRC it takes around 5 mins or so.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CDIQ8wIwAA

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I use something called a Max air but it may not be available any more. Cost around $50 and will get the pressure up although it takes a while. Mine has lasted over 10 years
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I looked at our compressor. It is a Master Flow: Master Flow MF-1050 Tsunami High Volume Portable Air Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive

I didn't have any of the problems the first Amazon reviewer had.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I looked at our compressor. It is a Master Flow: Master Flow MF-1050 Tsunami High Volume Portable Air Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive

Gene
X2, Pretty good unit.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

Gene
It seems like every time I follow someone's Amazon link it costs me money, because I scroll down and look at all the other items on the page. This time, I am sure I have needed one of these things for a long time, but just didn't know it.

Smittybilt 29312B Receiver Hitch D-Ring with 3/4-Inch Shackle for 2-Inch Receivers : Amazon.com : Automotive

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So how long is the cord? It would need to be long to reach my trailer tires from the Tow Vehicle Battery. I supposed it could be hooked to the trailer battery but that is a little harder to get to.

Perry

Quote:

Gene
Old 10-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Perry, there is an off-road forum where I found several members modifying this unit for various applications. Wish I had bookmarked it. Maybe you can find it. I extended my power cord with 10 ga wiring. At the time I bought mine, they did not have the quick disconnect at the head port, so I modified the port and installed one and upgraded the air line with a longer coiled plastic hose. Both very easy mods. I can reach anywhere I want now from a direct underhood battery hookup.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
If you have an on-board generator, you could use a regular AC unit ...
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yeah I don't have a generator. AC units are big and heavy. I have a portable one of those but that is overkill for emergency situations where you need to plug a tire and move on.

Perry
Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
I've had no trouble with one of these units;
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP-07-.../dp/B000M8U6RM
You can find it at most major name brand auto parts stores too.
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:

Gene
I have one of these too. Been using it for 3 years now and highly recommend it.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Portland , Oregon
I'm using this one: VIAIR 90P Portable Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive

It works well, and so far, I'm using my jumper cables to allow it to reach the trailer tires.

Whatever you end up getting, make sure it has an actual piston in it. Diaphram pumps can't deliver the volume you need and they don't last.
clamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
So how long is the cord? It would need to be long to reach my trailer tires from the Tow Vehicle Battery. I supposed it could be hooked to the trailer battery but that is a little harder to get to.

Perry
I use my 12 volt compressor by plugging a home made extension cord into the trailer receptacle on the back of the TV. This picks up the charge line. The other end terminates in a lighter plug. Heavier wire is better.
That way I can reach the trailer tires.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
X 2 for the Viair. Nice little Comp.
Seems well built (but not fast).
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I wanted a VIAIR. But just went ahead and got a 120V CRAFTSMAN 3-gl. If I get a PACBRAKE for the truck, then a compressor is included. The SEARS unit is fast for the ten tires I maintain. And the exhaust brake piece will fill in while on the road.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
Dznfog, You might be referring to pirate 4x4 ? I read a few threads on there a while back and most of what I found was pretty creative, useful stuff. Those guys drive trucks into the middle of nowhere, then break down. Sometimes I think on purpose, they seem to be gluttons for punishment. Want to weld in the boonies with no welder ? They know how. If you're looking for 12v compressors, a lot of "mudders" bring one with them on the trail. I'd bet they'd have some good leads, having probably figured out whats junk and what works in the middle of nowhere, where it counts. Happy hunting, hope this lead proves useful for someone.
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Slime makes one that works well and is tiny.

Tags
12v