Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' International
Belle Fourche , South Dakota
I've been using an old fashioned bicycle tire pump. 150 psi no problem. For just adding a few pounds it takes no longer than hooking up an air compressor and you enjoy the benefits of a short work out to boot!
310astream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310astream View Post
I've been using an old fashioned bicycle tire pump. 150 psi no problem. For just adding a few pounds it takes no longer than hooking up an air compressor and you enjoy the benefits of a short work out to boot!

I'm curios how long that would take to inflate a flat 16 inch truck tire to 80 psi. I am guessing it would be a lot more than a short work out.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #23

hey,

I am using the Viar 300p ( about $140) I use it on my jeeps 33 inch tires. It takes two minutes to go from 18 lbs to 33. This is the best little compressor you can find. When I top off my AS 30 tires it takes about 30 seconds. The Viair comes with evrything you need including an attached gauge.
Just watch out these things get hot.

Steve
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Viair 450P Automatic

Not cheap but 100% duty cycle with pressure switch and decent flow rate. Cords and hose are plenty long enough to reach. Comes with a nice quality gauge/filler and also a nice storage bag.

The positive reviews on Amazon are warranted. While it was more expensive than I initially had hoped for, I went ahead with the notion of "buy once". It it did take me a while to swallow the price but I have no regrets after using it.

VIAIR 450P Automatic Function Portable Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I wanted a VIAIR.
Those are pretty good from what I've read, although expensive. I bought one of these for about $50 and it worked great, even for the 80 PSI required by the B190's rear tires. It had a few quirks, none major. I wrote this describing my modifications to it to make it fit my needs perfectly (which involved adding more hose to inflate tow dolly tires, etc.).

Unfortunately I think I killed it by running it too long while winterizing one time. But for inflating tires it was great.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I'm curious how long that would take to inflate a flat 16 inch truck tire to 80 psi. I am guessing it would be a lot more than a short work out.

Ken
The wrong road means plenty of time. A bicycle pump is not at all a bad idea considering how little room it would take to store. Thanks for the idea.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
The wrong road means plenty of time. A bicycle pump is not at all a bad idea considering how little room it would take to store. Thanks for the idea.

I always have one with me when camping, because I always have a bike,
however unless it fails, I will use the compressor.

Ken
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Gave up on 12v "compressors" long ago....

Honda 2000i= Black&Decker AC Inflator.

Bob
Old 01-16-2013, 05:31 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' International
Belle Fourche , South Dakota
If a tire on my TV is flat I'm going with the spare. I have used the bike pump when I had abnormally low pressure and then drove to the nearest tire center to have it looked at. Pumping a low tire up to 85psi with a hand pump is really not much of a workout.
310astream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Bike pumps

I believe we are having a difference in definitions about what is what in pumps.

To ME:

This

and this

Are tire pumps suitable for vehicles.

Theses are examples of bike pumps.

In other words, I believe being able to be carried conveniently on a bike defines a bike pump.

Ken
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
At the time I bought mine, they did not have the quick disconnect at the head port, so I modified the port and installed one and upgraded the air line with a longer coiled plastic hose. Both very easy mods. I can reach anywhere I want now from a direct underhood battery hookup.
I too have the older one from Amazon: Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow High-Volume 12-Volt Air Compressor

which is still selling for $57 and it does a fantastic job. It might have a different air hose than yours, but you do have to screw it onto the tire. I just read the 'recent complaints' on Amazon which probably could have been avoided by just giving the unit a few breaks to cool down.

What adaption did you use for just the air hose?

I can add more power length by just clamping on a pair of heavy jumper cables if needed (and I carry those while camping).
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v