Old 01-15-2004, 02:04 PM   #1

Freezing weather tires deflate

Hello:
It is wonderful to be able to post again on this forum-when you loose it boy does it hurt.
Here in New York it is a little colder than usual. Schools closed and its snowing. My front tires have deflated and so I I brought an air compresser when the snow stops I'll get right on it.

Will there be any damage if I have to leave it for a total of 4 days?

John I still think your dash is the best I have seen for the Argosy.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:13 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

tires

Saxonsraven1;
If your tires have deflated enough that you are asking if there will be any damage to the tires if you delay reinflating for 4-5 days, you do have a problem. Get them to a tire dealer. Tires should not change pressure more than 4-5 pounds with wide temperature swings. You do not want underinflated tires while driving.

Fred

Old 01-16-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Tires will change pressure with temp changes. They also lose 1 psi per month no matter what. But, your tires should NOT go flat just because it got cold out.
I agree with Fred, pull the wheels off and take them to your local tire repair shop to be checked. It may be a good thing you noticed, and asked, instead of just blindly refilling them, and having serious trouble down the road.
Terry
Old 01-17-2004, 08:55 AM   #4
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Argosy,
I know for sure that tires do not loose 1 psi each month...I have too many examples of storage yards full of static trailers with fully inflated tires after ten years.
My car, truck & trailor tires rarely need airing up

Hartmut
Old 01-17-2004, 09:19 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Maybe it's the air here...

Quote:
Originally posted by qqq
Argosy,
I know for sure that tires do not loose 1 psi each month...I have too many examples of storage yards full of static trailers with fully inflated tires after ten years.
My car, truck & trailor tires rarely need airing up

Hartmut
When I was trained in the selling and servicing of tires, longer ago than I like to think about, when Michelin was about the only radial tire available here, our Michelin tire service handbook told us it was very important to check tire pressure monthly, as tires tend to lose air through the schrader valve in the valve stem, to the tune of one psi per month. That is why so many cars are running around with underinflated tires here in North America, no one checks them month after month, and after a year or so of driving, they can be down by 10-12 psi. In a tire that is supposed to have 30psi, and is 12psi low, it would not take much for a tire with 18psi to suffer a failure.
I don't make this stuff up, I just repeat what I am taught...and in this case, I find it more the rule than the exception.
Terry
Old 01-17-2004, 11:52 AM   #6
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Argosy,

I will monitor the pressure of all the tires under my supervision...I will post my findings here in a few months.

Hart
Old 01-17-2004, 05:48 PM   #7

Inherited problems:

Thanks Guys:
I think this is a problem I inherited from the PO. I brought The Phoenix in Las Vegas (I think I once saw a post of someone who inspected her before me but I don't remenber too much). As in LV bright shinny hiddes a lot to the uninitiated.

The tires have gone flat and better than just inflat I will check the quality and type. Maybe to know I am safe change the tires (the one in the back have not gone soft.

Any advise on the right tires?
Old 01-17-2004, 06:54 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Tires

At low temperatures, the contraction differential between the Schrader core and valve stem can result in the core being loose. This provides an exit path for the air in the tires. I have had this happen on occasion. Tightening the core and re-inflating usually works for me.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:06 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
valve stem caps

aircraft grade valve stem caps made of metal with rubber caps will stop most leakage.

i use them on my trailer and motorcycle.

i keep an assortment of schrader cores in my tool box incase i get the occcasional leaker.

if yer fast you can change them out before the tire deflates!

john