Old 08-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Ford F250/F350 Michelin LT275/70R18 LTX AT2

Nothing is simple. Even Ford truck owners differ from comfort of ride and keeping front tires at a lower inflation psi than the rear tires psi for steering control.

Factory tire pressure is 65psi for the Front, and 80psi for the Rear when towing and not towing. The 80psi is for 3640 pounds.

I was checking tire pressures before a two week Wyoming trip to discover the 15psi difference between the front and rear tires from the factory. Following a Ford F250/F350 Forum or Ford website... that is correct. I would need a secretary to keep notes from the searching. The difference forced me to search for the answer and received... answer(s).

But, as we all know... opinions vary. Some agree with this 65psi/80psi and others have expressed different opinions. All seem to be valid.

I just find it awkward adding and reducing tire pressures, frequently. Is there a 'comfortable setup' when towing, detaching the trailer and then, towing... then what? I am satisfied with the tire pressures for front and rear the way they are. For general driving around... ditto.

There is no harm in tossing this out onto the Forum and get some Feedback. It is all new to me. What is your experience? Experience is always worth its weight in... PSI.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I looked at Michelin's inflation tables for the tires and based on the maximum weight that my F-250 can carry, I run my tires (front & rear) at 60psi. When I had my truck and trailer weighed at the Congress, AZ SKP park, my truck was well within the maximum weight. I got about 45,000 miles on my first set of factory tires (about 50% towing) and the wear pattern was very even. I did rotate the tires once at about 25,000 miles.

Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:07 AM   #3
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Ford F250/F350 Michelin LT275/70R18 LTX AT2

Stick with vehicle manufacturer range. We've had two tire engineers contribute on this forum, and both note serious liability concern, thus, testing, to establish limits. Tire pressure charts are not the guideline.

Weigh the rig. Get individual wheel position readings. Use axle end with highest loading for reference.

I'd move around plus or minus 5-psi from there on my one ton.

I believe it a real mistake to overinflate, which many do (to more closely simulate the response of an empty, solo vehicle versus one which is loaded AND towing). Steering will be different, and it takes time to adjust to that; both degree and duration.

Pickups need all the help they can get in maintaining the largest tire contact patch.

So long as pressure rise from dead cold is about 7-8% (but no more), one then knows the lower inflation number.

For purposes of experiment, take the loaded weight of the TV with loaded trailer attached and duplicate that, front and rear, for solo driving. Unconscious habits of decades standing deserve reexamination. I'll state that there is more problem here than is understood, as braking distances are multiplied, sometimes vastly, and steering/braking feels a good bit different.

13-weeks of driving solo in this manner will help establish new habits.

For the most part I don't drive any differently solo versus towing (in main, how far I wind out the transmission shifts). "Keeping up" with traffic is the main habit to break. Followed by speed into curves and turns.

On a one ton they should last well over 70k miles for a premium road tire. This is dictated by driver habits. Pressures will fall into place pretty easily once the use of a loaded vehicle is part of the regular repertoire.

Best possible trailer braking performance is also ignored. Full amperage to each wheel is a minimum.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote