Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docinabox View Post
I was wondering what sensory feedback that all of you have experienced when the tire blows out while towing your trailer? Is it dramatic enough that it's immediately obvious or is it possible to drive on further damaging the trailer without even knowing. Fortunately, I never had a blowout in a car or while towing a trailer.
I was on a improved dirt road at the time. Never heard a thing. Never noticed any change in how the trailer was tracking. I did notice a lot of dust being created behind us and thought it was the 'trailer vortex' or the truck and trailer creating the dust plume.

Had we been on a busy four lane road, someone would have noticed and pointed it out... but not this time.

This is when I discovered the 23 foot had 14" tires and all other Airstreams had 15". Trailer was new on January 26, 2006 and the photo on post #1 was taken June 20, 2007. So was 17 months old with limited mileage. This was the second Marathon that was bad. The first had air bubbles on the outside of one tire. I was charged $80 and taxes with the 'new' exchange. The dealer said the 'tread had checking'. Whatever that meant.

Being new to Airstreams and needing a tire... you have to trust someone. Obviously misplaced trust. I did not find the AirForums until sometime later.

Anyone who has tire issues... I trust the judgment of those on this Forum... any day, even if there is some disagreement of choice. Such an expensive trailer and then stuck onto the trailer the cheapest tires available.

Thank you... for looking out for those of us with the 23 foot Airstreams with the 14" balloons for tires.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Goodyear , Arizona
Ray
Thanks for sharing your experience. Every time I tow my 23 d I'm worried about having a blow out bc I still have my marathons on. Seeing images like these has made my tires a priority. Will go back and check the 15" upgrade threads. Yes this forum is a fantastic source of information. Thank you!
Docinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Driving on I-40 near Knoxville with cruise set on 65mph and all of a sudden heard what sounded like a shotgun blast from the passenger seat!! No vibration, no jerking in the wheel....but thought I would shut off cruise and slow down to check it out. Slower I got more bounce I had. Sidewalls blew out of a Goodyear tire!!

Needless to say that started a 6 hour ordeal trying to get Camping World Road Service to respond. Thankfully I had a spare but no jack. Two service trucks and a State Trooper show up....after about an hour of getting the spare off, they discover their jack was not large enough to raise the flat wheel. Told them to stand back and clear their tools.....lowered the front hydrolic levelers and raised whole front off the ground. Thankfully no damage other than a dented hubcap.

Great experience but I would rather not do it again. Bought 2 new Handcocks next day and no problem since.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Pull Toy.... you are in luck. Only the 23 foot Airstream had the wonderful, magical, 14" C Rated self destructive Marathon tires.

You should have stock, 15" D Rated Marathons that are a big improvement. The 14" Marathons are not worthy being on an Airstream. The 15" D Rated Marathons are not in the same category and many owners have had few issues with them.

I went to 16" Michelins and 16" wheels Load Range E tires. 'Good Tires' as the 15" Marathon tires may be... I wanted the BEST Tires for peace of mind. So far, so good.

Not sure of variations from year to year, but my 2004 22 foot Safari had the same 14 inch Goodyear Marathons. We have communicated in the past on PM, but mine actually should have blown out when I believed the dealer had set up my used vehicle for travel and went 300 miles at freeway speeds on my first trip (passing semi trucks) and later found I had 25 psi in each tire! Fortunately they held and I traded them out at the 5 year point for Greenball since I didn't have much to chose from in the 15 LTX world and couldn't make 16 inch tires fit with what to me was comfortable clearance.

Why we can't seem to find good 14 inch ST tires I don't know, but the 22 foot double axle is not loading the Load Range C tires anywhere near max, so that is probably what saved me.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docinabox View Post
I was wondering what sensory feedback that all of you have experienced when the tire blows out while towing your trailer? Is it dramatic enough that it's immediately obvious or is it possible to drive on further damaging the trailer without even knowing. Fortunately, I never had a blowout in a car or while towing a trailer.
I have only had 1 tire lose air while traveling. I was signaled by a driver as they were passing that a tire was "missing". I am not sure how long I was driving on 3 tires. You can drive on 3 tires, but limited distance, to get you out of trouble.
Post #17. See tire and damage.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Inspection paid off

I don't have a flat tire story but more of a disaster averted story due to inspection.
A few years back I had a set of Carlisle tires on our trailer and I found the tread had started to dry rot very deeply and in several places. The tires were ~ 2 years old at the time.
I called Carlisle to see if this was just dry rot or tread separation. They requested pictures and other information from the tires.
Without asking Carlisle sent me 4 brand new tires and said that there was a time period where they had trouble with their design formula (circa 2010). The new tires were the new and improved "Dura Trail" Radial RH according to their website.
I cannot complain about the replacement tires as they have performed just fine. I have only adjusted the air pressure in the spring and fall with the change of ambient temperatures.
The trailer tires are due for replacement this spring (3.5 years old). I haven't decided yet what the replacements will be. I am thinking either the newer updated Carlisle or Cooper Discover HT 15" XL 109t rated. The Coopers have the same spec as the Michelin 15" XL 109t rated but are $35 dollars cheaper per tire than the Michelins. A new set of Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires would be almost the same as the Coopers.

This thread is not meant to hi-jack but merely point out the importance of regular inspection of your equipment to avoid possible problems.

Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I do find it disappointing that SPEED may be the cause for these tire failures. They should be made to handle current highway speeds.

If our tow vehicles tires were built so cheap, there would be carnage on the highways.

This is why you should consider 'real tires' and maybe some day the tire companies will improve their ST trailer tires where they are not designed to self destruct if you exceed 55 miles per hour. It is a poor excuse for a tire and a good reason to demand that trailer companies provide tires that are included in the price, so we do not have to strip the factory stock off and keep safety on the roads our responsibility... not theirs.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Good thread Ray. You know the saying...a picture is worth a thousand words. These pictures speaks volumes. Thank you Streamers for posting your stories. Due to this thread, I'm changing my Goodyears out before the next trip.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
St Lawrence , Pennsylvania
Changing a flat tire:

I carry 4 sections of 3/4 inch diameter steel pipe 12 inches long with 3 couplers.

Even with a 24 inch breaker bar, there may be a need for more leverage, especially on the TV
rjmaype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:19 AM   #30
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I do find it disappointing that SPEED may be the cause for these tire failures. They should be made to handle current highway speeds.

If our tow vehicles tires were built so cheap, there would be carnage on the highways.

This is why you should consider 'real tires' and maybe some day the tire companies will improve their ST trailer tires where they are not designed to self destruct if you exceed 55 miles per hour. It is a poor excuse for a tire and a good reason to demand that trailer companies provide tires that are included in the price, so we do not have to strip the factory stock off and keep safety on the roads our responsibility... not theirs.
Just an FYI: ST tires are already made to withstand more than the 65 mph speed limitation - and it involves using larger capacity tires. So it's the trailer manufacturers who are not doing what they could do to allow faster speeds.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Just an FYI: ST tires are already made to withstand more than the 65 mph speed limitation - and it involves using larger capacity tires. So it's the trailer manufacturers who are not doing what they could do to allow faster speeds.
Will you elaborate?
Are you saying with the E rated ST tires I'm using in place of the original D rated ST tires I can tow my trailer faster safely, without damaging the tire?
What is it that the manufacturers are not doing?
Old 01-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Renting a UHaul trailer, I believe when I look in my rear view mirror the fender says '45 miles per hour'.

With a little research, someone may be able to work out when ST tires evolved from Passenger tires and Truck tires. Switz, of anyone on this Forum, probably already has a good idea.

My biggest dispute is with Airstream and the Goodyear Marathon 14" tires on my 23 foot Airstream. Nothing but trouble. Easily punctured through the tread. One blowout. One defective tire when the trailer was new. No idea of what else was happening when I replaced all for 14" tires supplied by Costco. Never another issue with those and I hope that the current owner is also having good experiences, as well.

I have witnessed owners towing their Airstreams, and other branded trailers, making a pivot turn of their trailer and you can visibly see the ripples in the side walls, due to the friction on the pavement with the tread. I also see it on the 'Funny Cars' when those tires ripple at the drag strip. There ARE legitimate driver issues, as well to tire failures.

Those of us, who are well aware of driver's issues, manage to avoid these situations. The more air pressure, the easier it is to tow and turn the tow vehicle and trailer.

For the price of a ST trailer tire... pick up a Marathon and a competing brand to compare weights. The 14" Marathons were wimpy compared to Greenball and Towmax. Tire Rack and see their Trailer Tire Reviews for beginning your research.

I am not sponsored at the Race Track with Goodyear tires. I am not even interested in the stock Goodrich tires on Toyota trucks as stock tires. I quickly remove them and get Michelins.

None of this is from two years of driving. This is a life time of experiences from when radial tires were introduced, the 4 ply rated to 6 ply and all this nonsense. I am sticking with Michelins as long as their quality is maintained. The market will make choices in tires and those whose tires do not meet popular demand will either improve, or go extinct.

Goodyear did not offer to replace any of my tires for No Charge. I am confident if I have a problem with my Michelins... Costco will take care of me.

Anyone wanting to find out if Marathon D rated trailer tires are dependable. Great. It is your trailer. No argument from me.

If you want to run the stock Goodrich tires on your new Toyota or whomever still uses them... go for it. I learned not by reading testimonials on how wonderful these tires are on the internet, but from using them.

I always find it interesting some people just love the Marathon 14" tires. Obviously they must be selling them, as no one I know that is using them says it. The 15" Marathon may be a wonderful tire and dependable. But... after sticking it to me once... it is a never ever touching a Goodyear tire again.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Does anyone have experience or information on the Tyron Tire Blowout Protection rings? I've got a Tire Monitoring System but thought that these might provide additional protection?

http://www.tyron-usa.com/
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I don't have a flat tire story but more of a disaster averted story due to inspection.
A few years back I had a set of Carlisle tires on our trailer and I found the tread had started to dry rot very deeply and in several places. The tires were ~ 2 years old at the time.
I called Carlisle to see if this was just dry rot or tread separation. They requested pictures and other information from the tires.
Without asking Carlisle sent me 4 brand new tires and said that there was a time period where they had trouble with their design formula (circa 2010). The new tires were the new and improved "Dura Trail" Radial RH according to their website.
I cannot complain about the replacement tires as they have performed just fine. I have only adjusted the air pressure in the spring and fall with the change of ambient temperatures.
The trailer tires are due for replacement this spring (3.5 years old). I haven't decided yet what the replacements will be. I am thinking either the newer updated Carlisle or Cooper Discover HT 15" XL 109t rated. The Coopers have the same spec as the Michelin 15" XL 109t rated but are $35 dollars cheaper per tire than the Michelins. A new set of Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires would be almost the same as the Coopers.

This thread is not meant to hi-jack but merely point out the importance of regular inspection of your equipment to avoid possible problems.

With that kind of service/support from Carlisle I'd definitely give them my repeat business!

Thanks for the pics.

Maybe we should have a "recall" program for tires, such that when tires are purchased the new owners are registered with the tire mfr'r in case of discovered problems.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #35

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here's three pictures. The first is a Marathon that lost tread, then 2 Maxxis E rated tires that showed signs of belt slippage (tall tires are the defective ones). I caught the Maxxis failures prior to them blowing out. The Marathon failed as the belt tore when I was backing into the drive when returning home from a 250 mile trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA140107.JPG.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	278744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	278745  

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	278746  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:59 AM   #36
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Will you elaborate?
Are you saying with the E rated ST tires I'm using in place of the original D rated ST tires I can tow my trailer faster safely, without damaging the tire?
What is it that the manufacturers are not doing?
If you look up about ST tires in the Tire and Rim Association Yearbook, you will see that if you add 10 psi, you can increase the max speed from 65 mph to 75 mph - and if you also reduce the load by 10%, you can go another 10 mph - to 85 mph.

So if you have a Load Range D, going to a Load Range E (and inflate it such) results in a tire that is capable of more than the 65 mph stated max speed for ST tires.

And this is a *Law of Physics* kind of thing. It doesn't matter who manufactures the tire - it's a part of how tires work.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:50 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
BoscoMN - I have the Tyron's on my Airstream. Haven't had a flat tire, so, can't say what the experience is like when the Tyron's engage. My understanding is that they are on big rigs, buses and police cars. I fell like I have an added layer of security but that does not preclude me from checking my tires and towing at safe speeds.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:15 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The 14" GYM ST225/75R15D tires along with the other brands are hoping the way of the Dodo bird.

Airstream splurged in the 2017 model year and converted the 23D to 12" brake drums and 15" wheels with the same GYM ST225/75R15D tires they put on all the other models except the Classics which get the 16" SenDel T03-66655T wheels and the Michelin LT225/75R16/E tires.

They cheapened the premium limited edition 2017 Tommy Bahama model by not installing the 16" tires and wheels like they did on the prior year limited edition Pendleton. Of course the Tommy has a 200 pound lower GVW (back to 7,600 pounds) and a higher empty weight so the payload is adversely affected.

The new 33' Classic is two axle with a much higher empty weight. Since it is a front bed model, the literature tongue weight is 1,150 pounds before a Hensley/ProPride hitch head or stuff is stored under the bed. Most of the pickups have a 1,200 pound rated hitch and that will be insufficient for a tongue weight close to or over 1,400 pounds. In fact, the ProPride is limited to 1,400 pounds.

We cut off the 1,200 pound factory receiver on our 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins and replaced it with a Curt 15049 rated 2,550 pounds tongue weight and a 17,000 pound trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #39

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

The new 33' Classic is two axle with a much higher empty weight. Since it is a front bed model, the literature tongue weight is 1,150 pounds before a Hensley/ProPride hitch head or stuff is stored under the bed. Most of the pickups have a 1,200 pound rated hitch and that will be insufficient for a tongue weight close to or over 1,400 pounds. In fact, the ProPride is limited to 1,400 pounds.
Most of us who own the Classic Slide Out units had to deal with heavy hitch weights some time back. I remember my 3/4 ton GMC van was unable to carry the weight of my slide out using the factory supplied receiver. I had to upgrade to a class V Hidden Hitch receiver, and a Class V rated Equal-i-zer both rated at 1,400 lbs. We are 12 years into ownership of the slide out and 13 years into the ownership of the van. Both have held up well as well as the receiver and hitch.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Goodyear , Arizona
As a result of this thread pushing me to accomplish a task which was mired in procrastination, I have made my wheel upgrade to 15". The only trick was the narrow curbside wheel well. When Switz documented that he had to trim the body on his 23d, I was concerned about the upgrade. Now that I understand and have remedied the problem it's really not a big deal. My wife and I have improved our peace of mind! The additional inch in elevation is welcomed also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2313.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	279250  
Docinabox is offline   Reply With Quote