Old 09-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Flat Tire, AAA is refusing to cover my Airstream!

We're in the appropriately named Myers Flats, California.

Woke up this morning to a flat tire. Tried reinflating it, but it won't hold air. No worries, because we have AAA, right?

Wrong... AAA now says we must pay extra for "RV coverage" which of course includes a waiting period designed to prevent us from actually using it.

AAA advertises that it covers "the driver and not the vehicle" but this clearly does not apply to Airstreams -- at least not in our home chapter.

I'm very disappointed in AAA.

Bummer.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have Good Sam which covers RVs and any other auto you drive or pull. Never had a problem except once in a snowstorm when a Good Sam provider could not be contacted and I needed to find my own. Good Sam reimbursed me for the winching out of a snowbank. Good Sam is always trying to sell me some thing else such as RV insurance which does not seem to apply to my vintage ASs

Old 09-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
That is correct Sean about AAA service. Your RV is not covered under the basic coverage or even "premium" delux, super-duper coverage!

You must purchase RV coverage and wait for a period of time!

BTW, I found out like you about the coverage (or lack of). I'm waiting now for my renewel for AAA to possibly switch over to Good Sam which covers auto and RV together.

The only trade off is that I won't have access to the inhouse benefits of getting my registration and other DMV issues resolved there.

Safari-Rick

PS: Still enjoying your Blog!

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Michael
We're in the appropriately named Myers Flats, California.

Woke up this morning to a flat tire. Tried reinflating it, but it won't hold air. No worries, because we have AAA, right?

Wrong... AAA now says we must pay extra for "RV coverage" which of course includes a waiting period designed to prevent us from actually using it.

AAA advertises that it covers "the driver and not the vehicle" but this clearly does not apply to Airstreams -- at least not in our home chapter.

I'm very disappointed in AAA.

Bummer.
Sorry to hear about your woes. I think the RV coverage applies to all AAA chapters, not just yours. The coverage in the Auto Club of Southern California is a combined RV/Motorcycle coverage. I think it's an extra $27 per year. I can't stand all the propaganda Good Sam delivers through the mail.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It is called AAA Plus-RV. Anything less will not cover all your needs with a truck and travel trailer.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
AAA can leave you stranded...

Sorry to hear of problems, but wanted to afirm it happened to us with blowout on Sunday eve on way home from Lake San Antonio Rally last year... THey might have sent truck to give us ride to WalMart to get tire, but checked and WalMart closing, so they suggested we spend night along freeway and try ourselves Monday morning...

Good news is you can change tire without a jack if you have lug wrench and some blocks of wood. You can then take to tire shop for replacement (from WalMart to America's Tire to Discount Tire to Goodyear... You can also drive slowly and carefully in dual axle 25 on three tires, but not at freeway or Interstate speeds... Ten to fifteen mph is OK, much faster is probably not...

We replaced all remaining tires next day, recycling best old tire onto purchased wheel to make a spare, which now rides in Excursion... We may try to add RV coverage from AAA, as we hate thought of giving up maps, tourbooks, Atlas and DMV services...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, just leaving you alongside the freeway is pretty poor service, in my book!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I've been a AAA member for something like 19 years. It has always been the case that RV coverage is extra. If ya want the extra coverage, ya gotta pay for it.
Like any other insurance, you need to evaluate your situation and decide if you want all of the bells and whistles. If you do, buy them - if not take your chances.
You don't buy liability insurance for your car and expect comprehensive coverage....
Dave

On edit: Sean, that was NOT meant as any kind of slam regarding your post, just noting the way some of the replies are going.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I have good sams roadside service and have used it a few times fixed a flat on a previous M/H in the rain towed a couple vehicles no problem yea they send alot of junk mail i just look at it and trash it...

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
From "back in the day", if you were a AAA member in good standing, they would not leave you alongside the road. They would at least see you to a safe location to wait for proper service people. Even if it meant they cancelled your coverage because of it later. Things have changed, and not all of them for the better. I rescued some RVers that were stranded, towed their blown up van and 30 foot trailer to a campground, then the next day towed their trailer to a storage lot (the customer paid for the storage, and that part of the towing), went back to the campground. I picked up their van, and towed it to Miami. AAA paid for towing the van both times, and suspended their membership a week later. But they were not left stranded. The member did have Plus, but not RV coverage.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Newport Beach , California
There is also Foremost Insurance:
http://www.foremost.com/products/rv/travel_trailer.htm
They have some nice coverage packages that can include roadside. IMO.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Rick, thanks -- this will probably be the next blog entry, lol

My expectation was that AAA would provide us with one tire change or tow per year, regardless of vehicle. I don't think there's a HUGE difference between changing a tire on an Airstream and changing one on a car (so long as the proper jack point is used). And AAA advertises that the coverage follows the member, not the vehicle.

The AAA representative on the phone stated that in the Northern California region, you are covered -- no extra RV payment is necessary. So apparently it varies from region to region.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have roadside service/emergency coverage with the RV insurance and also on the TV insurance (different companies)...but somehow I don't think I trust them to come through when I need them, since that service is not thier primary mission...so I recently signed up for Good Sam roadside service.... I felt that Good Sam's roadside service was worth it and their reputation is very good.

And oh, yes...Good Sam does inundate us all with literature and offers about everyting under the sun...life insurance, health insurance, extended wantees, credit cards, etc, etc, etc... and I throw most of it out, but the roadside service I felt was worth it. When and if I need to us it, I'll let you know how they did...you can bet on that!

TB
Old 09-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Has anyone tried contacting Good Sam and seeing if you can opt out of offers. Many companies offer that option. (in the really really fine print)