Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
BTW, you get more than one tow or tire chage a year. I believe it could be 4 or 5.

Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Anybody ever tow a tandem on 3 wheels. I have spoke to at least one person who said they did i? I guess you will still have to take the flat off unless your tire is dispensible.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebb
BTW, you get more than one tow or tire chage a year. I believe it could be 4 or 5.
Thanks... I have been a paying AAA member for several years, and have never made one call for roadside assistance...until today.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
CAA RV PLus

Hello.. We have CAA RV PLUS which is the equalivent of AAA RV PLUS and we have used it twice and had to have the trailer and the truck towed. Great service and no questions asked... would not be without it... and guess where we had the breakdowns... in the US .. ours has never been cancelled..first thing that is renewed ..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Anybody ever tow a tandem on 3 wheels. I have spoke to at least one person who said they did i? I guess you will still have to take the flat off unless your tire is dispensible.
I have been told (never done it) that you can tow a short distance on three tires, preferably at low speed, but you might want to take the bad tire off so it doesn't shred, thereby ruining the tire and possibly damaging the wheel well or surrounding skin...

And go slowly...

TB
Old 09-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Michael
Thanks... I have been a paying AAA member for several years, and have never made one call for roadside assistance...until today.
You'd think that would make a difference to them, wouldn't you...

TB
Old 09-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #21
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Michael
...Woke up this morning to a flat tire. Tried reinflating it, but it won't hold air. No worries, because we have AAA, right?...
hey quit being such a whiner...

u r n airstreamer right?

and have passed black tank 101?

so just change the tire.

besides i would NOT

want the 3a guy

trying to figure out how to get the wheel off the ground.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #22
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Through our towing travels of the 50 states & Canada, we've travelled many thousands of miles & have had our share of flat tires, blow-outs, and truck trouble.

At one point, we had CAA (AAA) RV plus coverage. AAA told us that the only way our trailer would be covered is if we paid for the additional level of service.
We found that this level of service depends on the area/state.
In Oregon, the level of service has been exceptional - we lost an alternator south of Wilsonville once & the local AAA towed both our truck and trailer to a repair facility & overnite stop. Several years later, we had a bearing seize, which broke the fan belt. AAA towed the truck to a local repair facility & deposited the trailer at an RV park.

In Wyoming, were we broke down 59 miles from Lander (literally out in the middle of nowhere), AAA sent out a truck that hauled the truck on the flatbed & towed the trailer. We really got great mileage on this leg of our trip!

However, in western Illinois, we had a blow out on the truck tire & were stranded along the interstate. Called AAA - said they'd send someone out - took a call from the highway patrol over an hour later to get the repair truck out.

In Washington, we had another fan belt issue climbing Blewett Pass - the local AAA towed the truck but refused to tow the trailer - we had to pay a local $150 to retrieve the trailer from the side of the road where it was "illegally" parked. The AAA tow guy said that if we would have had Good Sam, he would have been able to send a truck for the trailer as Good Sam paid the vendors (at least in that area) better money for their services.

So, once the AAA coverage expired, we signed up with Good Sam - yes, we ignore the advertisements - and we've had really great, prompt service ever since.

PS Sean - love the travel blog! What a great way to start your life together! Happy Trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0747_edited-1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	44361  
Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Morgan City , Louisiana
Flats

Can tow on three tires but really for the guttz. Maiden trip to Fla this year, flat tire by Mobile, Al. Blow out at 58 mph. Of course no jack, but did have jack pads, put them in series 2 then 3 then 4, Of course no tire tool, used socket wrench with cheata pipe on ratchet. Have AAA, Have Good Sam w/ rv coverage, extra $100. Good news if i would have had a stroke changing the tire, they would have transported the wife back home at no charge. No ones comes out to change you flat tire and if Good sam would have sent a company we would have paid full price, per good Sam Rep. the wife delt with. By the way we got the tire changed and replaced the blow out at a local tire station, then went straight to Wally World and bought tire tool combination hydraulic jack f/ $16. Some lessons are best learned. Check you pressure in you tires, if you do have a blow out drive for as long as it takes to pull off on good solid ground, better to replace tires, rims, and trailer than getting sideswiped by a big rig on the side of intrestate. Remember you have to be alive to enjoy the old A.S.
P.S. thinking about a second spare, to have two at all times.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
RV coverage from AAA in California

I have been a AAA member for 34 years, and their vehicle coverage, whether it was my vehicle or one in which I was a passenger, has been great over the years. When we bought the Airstream in 2004, it seems like we checked with AAA, and it was not clear exactly what was and wasn't covered. We purchased the Good Sam insurance and hoped that we would never need to use it!

I wonder if Good Sam got it's start because of this problem with auto insurance carriers not offering much to RVers. I remember, back in the 1960's, my grandfather's Boles Aero trailer had a big Good Sam sticker on the back, and he told me that members helped other members when they had problems while on the road.

We recently had a flat while coming home on the freeway. We used a plastic ramp we carry to drive the good tire up on, and we had the tire changed and properly torqued within 10 minutes. Changing the tire is not a problem....perhaps easier than changing one on a car....I am not sure I would trust most tow truck drivers to properly torque the wheels!

I think I may check again with AAA to see if they are offering the RV Plus insurance (we currently carry the regular Plus coverage)....thanks for the reminder folks!

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #25
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Towing with 3 wheels

Yes, we've towed on three wheels with a tandem . . . . yes, took off the damaged tire before proceeding.

We travelled about 30 miles and never went over 35 mph - no problems!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Huntington , Vermont
Yes, you can opt out

Yes, you can opt out of Good Sam's junk mail ... but it is all or nothing, I believe. Check their web site.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

http://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5
I have been a AAA member for 34 years, and their vehicle coverage, whether it was my vehicle or one in which I was a passenger, has been great over the years. When we bought the Airstream in 2004, it seems like we checked with AAA, and it was not clear exactly what was and wasn't covered. We purchased the Good Sam insurance and hoped that we would never need to use it!

We did the same thing....we have been AAA member for about 35 years but when we bought the Airstream we looked at the AAA RV coverage and decided Good Sam sounded better for the trailer.....so far, we haven't had to use Good Sam. We have upped our AAA coverage to the highest level because their promise to tow 8 or 10 miles doesn't get you very far in California....we had one 250 mile tow to rescue a car that broke down in the middle of the San Joaquin Valley that cost us over $450 (the place AAA towed the car to could not fix the car). We have friends who have had great service from Good Sam with their 40' MH, so that is what we carry--it just seems like Good Sam understands about the special needs of RVs and AAA doesn't. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We have CAA (AAA) RV Plus and in WA State recently the fuel pump went. They were going to send a truck for the car but not the trailer so I told them I'd wait with the car while they towed the trailer to a safe spot, then they could come back and pick me and the car up, as it was unsafe to leave an unhitched trailer on the side of the freeway, and particularly my very valuable vintage restored Airstream. They sent two trucks. That's the only time we've been told that they would not take the trailer at the same time as the car. Other than that we've been rescued a few times using our CAA/AAA and the service has been excellent. Others we travel with have had the same very positive experience with their car/trailer rescue - typically a flat deck for the car and then the trailer pulled by the truck.

I have also taken out Good Sam coverage to double the distance if I need it as well as any other advantages that may become relevant in certain situations, but frankly the amount of mail I'm getting from GS is beyond foolish. I will go on their website and find the stop the mail check box as noted by others. They obviously make a lot of money by convincing people to move up the food chain with their service offerings.

As a note, you may want to carry a spare signal light flasher in your trailer. If you ever are in a situation where the trailer has to sit on the side of the road you can plug it into your 7 pin connector and have your trailer lights flash the same as if it was still attached to the car with the emergency lights flashing. If you need a picture on where it fits on the connector let me know and I can take one when it's light out tomorrow and post it. You do need a battery in the trailer though so some of the smaller/older rigs may not have that, but almost everyone has one.

Barry