Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Just a note; when I travel, I am always hand touching my tires at every stop, I am feeling for temperature increase. Heat is your first indicator of a problem. When a tire is under inflated, the problems start. After thought; 'every' tire will lose two or three lbs. of air just sitting. So I check mine every oil change and always before a trip.......

Favorite Bumper sticker:
Yes, this is my truck...
No, I won't help you move....
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Do AS tires require more maintenance?

Like many, i rarely check the pressure on my auto and truck tires. The prior owner of my airstream carried a pump and stated he checked the tires every time he was putting it on the road. To me, that seems excessive.

I put on some new tires this spring and have yet to check the pressure. I do a visual check, but that's it. Is that dangerous?

btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Visual will tell you nothing until they are very low, flat or bulging. A tire retains it shape unless very low or very, very high in pressure. The old method of hitting tires with a steel bar (used on duals), doesn't tell much either.

You do not know if the tire shop put the right amount in.

We have a monitoring system for the tires and always check them. A low tire or a flat on a 2 axle trailer cannot be seen until the tire shreds, and even then you may not notice it. Flying tread damages the trailer skin and replacement can cost thousands.

Some tires have a record of losing air, others do not. Our OEM marathons consistently lost air and had to have more added every several days.

It is best to know the right amount of pressure for a specific tire on a specific trailer and check it a lot.

So, yes, it is dangerous if dangerous means the potential of damaged tires and trailer.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I agree with Gene. Its the collateral damage from a tire ripping to shreds you need to be concerned about. Look at how close the tires are to tank, sheet metal, etc.

I've had several failures on trailer tires over the years. None have felt scary from a vehicle dynamic perspective. All have done damage to the boat trailers. In fact you may not notice the failure right away, and that contributes even more to the damage as rubber flies around.

I'd watch those trailer tires very carefully, much like the previous owner. Good start in getting the new tires.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My GYM tires loose 2 or 3 lbs per month. My Michlen LT tires on the other trailer might loose 2 lbs in a year.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hi jgerardi:

The info available on this site seems to be all over the place. I have a single axel Airstream and the tire tread was thrown off both my Marathons (not at the same time). I read the info available here & decided to go with Maxis ST tires as some recommended them. The manufactures date was six months previous to my purchase. I didn't get 500 miles before one of the Maxis threw its tread, causing extensive damage. Including a rip up the side panel for about six inches + bending up the outrigger. I purchased the only ST tire available at the 1st tire shop I came across, a Hercules tire, where they agreed this new tire probably wouldn't be much better as all ST tires were prone to failure.

The consensus on this site at present seems to be leaning away from ST tires and toward LT tires. I'm going to try that next. I never had a problem (even with older tires on this trailer) with the old split rims, but that's old technology now.

I don't think the tire problems we are having is from more stressful loads on them. I believe the ST tires are not quality controlled. Why else would one fail in less than 500 miles and its mate travel many thousands of miles without a problem.

I hope some enterprising tire manufacturer decides to engineer a new tire design that stops all this tire failure foolishness and solves our problems. Then maybe we could get a years guarantee when buying their tires!

helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote