Old 04-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Find where a tire is made

How to find where tires are made:

Look on the tire. Look at the molded in DOT code. The first two letters/numbers after DOT are the country of origin and the plant which made them.

Go to All the D.O.T. Tire Plant Codes to find the information based on the code you found.

This was published in Trailer Life recently. Thought you might like a record of it here on the Forum.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Anyone with a tire failure needs to post the name & address of the tire plant that made the tire or at east the full DOT serial so others can look up the information.
Simply saying it was made in China does not help us understand the problem as it is unlikely that every plant has similar levels of quality.
To do otherwise would be like claiming that all problems with AS RVs would be solved if they moved the factory to another state as all the problems posted here are about poor quality of RVs made in Ohio which is false assumption based on poor understanding of causation vs correlation.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Your comment is interesting and if someone were able to over a long enough time period to collect the data it would be useful. Since that data is not available I take the easy approach and never buy a tire made in China. The complete lack of dedication to quality on the national level is not worth the risk.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Your comment is interesting and if someone were able to over a long enough time period to collect the data it would be useful. Since that data is not available I take the easy approach and never buy a tire made in China. The complete lack of dedication to quality on the national level is not worth the risk.
Howie, While I agree it would be best to have maybe a 1,000 reports I am not willing to let "Good" get in the way of 'Best".

In any month there seems to be maybe a dozen posts of tire failure. I would like to do two things. Have a picture posted so we can learn which failures are the result of air loss, i.e. "Blowouts" and which are the result of older tire technology and possibly poorer quality. If we ended up with a half dozen tread separations all from the same plant then we have a good reason to be suspicious of tires from that plant.

There are dozens of tire plants in China I doubt that all are making tires that fail in the first year simply because the builders speak Mandarin. It is much more likely that one plant is the "low price leader" and that plant is the primary supplier of sub-par tires to the RV industry. Maybe it would make tire purchasing decisions easier if we knew which plant to avoid.