Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #61
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I agree with Gene on all points EXCEPT the mfrs statement, "So, they often come with the cheapest tires the manufacturer can find."

In the case of an entry level vehicle or base truck, yeah sure. But I hardly think that p metric Michelins and Continentals, etc on Denalis, Escalades, Lincolns, Lexus etc. are used for price point pressures. It is done for ride quality and suspension tuning for "Concrete Cowboys" (Truck drivers who never use their vehicle like a truck). Many of these tires cost substantially more than an LT.
dzn', I used "often". The more expensive models (like the Limited Tundra or 4Runner) often have better tires. Toyota in the past had two trim lines—SR5 and Limited. Now I think they have blurred the distinction. An SR5 Tundra had all we wanted except the tires, so given the price difference ($4,000 in '07), we came out ahead. For what it is worth, the '06 4Runner Limited had Michelin CrossTerrains (or a name like that) or another tire which I can't remember (Bridgestone?). We specified Michelins and they lasted 60,000+ miles. They were called all season though they had a fairly aggressive tread and did fine in a foot of new snow or ice or anything else. When it came time to replace them, Michelin had discontinued the CrossTerrain in that size, so we replaced them with LTX's.

One other point—P tires carry less weight than LT tires of the same size. That is why a P tires on a trailer may be the same size, but be inadequate for the trailer's weight even though they are fine on a truck or SUV that is never used as a truck.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
dzn', I used "often". The more expensive models (like the Limited Tundra or 4Runner) often have better tires. Toyota in the past had two trim lines—SR5 and Limited. Now I think they have blurred the distinction. An SR5 Tundra had all we wanted except the tires, so given the price difference ($4,000 in '07), we came out ahead. For what it is worth, the '06 4Runner Limited had Michelin CrossTerrains (or a name like that) or another tire which I can't remember (Bridgestone?). We specified Michelins and they lasted 60,000+ miles. They were called all season though they had a fairly aggressive tread and did fine in a foot of new snow or ice or anything else. When it came time to replace them, Michelin had discontinued the CrossTerrain in that size, so we replaced them with LTX's.

One other point—P tires carry less weight than LT tires of the same size. That is why a P tires on a trailer may be the same size, but be inadequate for the trailer's weight even though they are fine on a truck or SUV that is never used as a truck.

Gene
Correct, but now we have these "P"s showing up which carry a little more (2185# in this case and the name them LTX, inferring to some that the LT in LTX means light truck as defined by an LT designation.

Not so. The LTX lin has LTs and P metrics, albeit the P metrics seem to carry loads at or near an XL (extra load) tire without the XL moniker.

I, personally think this blurring the lines should be better policed by the industry and a clear, simple set of designations be established for each type of tread and sidewall construction and weight carrying capacity. But, hey, once again they didn't ask for my opinion.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #63
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

I, personally think this blurring the lines should be better policed by the industry and a clear, simple set of designations be established for each type of tread and sidewall construction and weight carrying capacity. But, hey, once again they didn't ask for my opinion.
Nor mine. And the blurring of distinctions give us plenty of opportunity to go back and forth over this silliness. Our tires have performed very well and I suspect yours have as well.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Nor mine. And the blurring of distinctions give us plenty of opportunity to go back and forth over this silliness. Our tires have performed very well and I suspect yours have as well.

Gene
Uh, yup...so far, so good.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Texas View Post
So I just ordered 7 new Eddie Bauer style 16' wheels, with the black paint on them, with 7 Michelin LT M/S2 tires. 6 center caps and 30 tire Lugs. about $2600.00 plus tax and shipping. I am having them shipped to a tire dealer in my neighborhood, who will install my new TPMS aftermarket 6-Wheel Kit (P602C) from Orange Electronics.
So, I got my Eddie Bauer AS wheels Michelin tires and centramatics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB wheel.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	147528  

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #66
de NO1PC

2004 30' Classic
1988 29' Excella
Campbell , California
Someone's heard The Troubs...
JimAspinwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
I had an blow out on Goodyear Marathons ST225/75R15D1 113 B. These tries are about 5 years old with about 9,000 total. No damage to the trailer. I have made an apointment at my local Discount tires on Saturday for all replacements. He informs me that he would install Carlisle ST225/75R15E1 117 B this tire is 10 ply. Any thoughts???
Julie-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:33 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Links to some recent tire failure and 16-inch wheel threads (posts):

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1186770

Strongly suggest you do a little reading before buying Carlisle or any other brand of ST tires.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote