Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
new 28 international...16" wheels/michelins

i am trying to order a trailer through CCII in buda, tx and talking about 16" up grades with michelins and

number 1...they seem to indicate one needs different axles than with the 15" wheels that come standard?????????????????????

number 2 quoted me $4.673.oo

any thoughts

WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
i am trying to order a trailer through CCII in buda, tx and talking about 16" up grades with michelins and

number 1...they seem to indicate one needs different axles than with the 15" wheels that come standard?????????????????????

any thoughts
If you did pay that much, be SURE that you retain the originals to sell and recoup some cash (it seems like you're not inclined to pay it, and I'd agree.) They're either trying to discourage you from making the change, trying to make money on both ends of the transaction or both.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
no way

but does it really require an axle change???????
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post

any thoughts
Lots of thoughts—

If you need upgraded axles, why did Airstream's service dep't install 16" wheels and tires on my trailer without telling me I needed new axles? They have done the same for quite a few other Forum members without recommending changing axles.

If the cost was really four dollars and 63 cents, I'd take it, but I think you hit the period key instead of the comma.

Part of that quote was for axles I assume. Did they break it down for the price of wheels and tires?

I'd think seriously about going to another dealer.

Gene
Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
FWIW, I called Airstream and Dexter both about the axels on my 2004 28' CCD. They both said there is no reason for me to change axels. Actually, Dexter "chuckled" and said my axels were more than adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using AIR Forums
Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
:) , Germany
Quote from the Mothership this past week for 16" wheel AND Michelin 225/75/16E tire upgrade is $329 plus tax, per wheel/tire combo, installed.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
mount joy , Pennsylvania
which michelin 16" tires did you go with, LTX M/S or LTX winter? what is the difference between the M/S and winter tire. Why didn't you use the XPS rib, which is an all season tire, price?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
krla',

I don't know who you are asking about the Michelins. But, we got the LTX M+S. I don't know what an LTX "winter" is since the M+S is a snow tire. There are several versions of the LTX line of tires. You can go on the Michelin website for all the specs and other differences between their tires.

The XPS Rib is, in my opinion, a tire for commercial trucks. It is built to be retreaded and to use for many, many miles. It is more tire than I thought necessary for the trailer. I looked at the expected miles to be driven in 5 years with the trailer and the LTX should last about that long. We drive a lot of miles, so for some that would be more tire, but the Rib is even more than the LTX.

Some like the Rib because it has stronger sidewalls than the LTX and thus is more like the idea of a ST tire. I would think the Rib may ride a little harder than the LTX tires.

We put LTX A/T2 tires on the Tundra because we figured we'd put a lot more miles on the truck in 5 years than the trailer and that tire's tread should last longer than the M+S.

Gene
Old 03-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
After reading this forum I've become very concerned about the original tires on my Airstream and would like to upgrade to something with a better record of performance. The ST tires are designed for trailer towing use and by switching to a LT tire you are going to a tire not designed for trailer towing use. Is anyone concerned about having a problem with your insurance company if you have an accident running on LT tires and your insurance company decides not to pay the claim because the trailer was being operated on tires that are not designed for trailer use? Has anyone looked into this issue?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
After reading this forum I've become very concerned about the original tires on my Airstream and would like to upgrade to something with a better record of performance. The ST tires are designed for trailer towing use and by switching to a LT tire you are going to a tire not designed for trailer towing use. Is anyone concerned about having a problem with your insurance company if you have an accident running on LT tires and your insurance company decides not to pay the claim because the trailer was being operated on tires that are not designed for trailer use? Has anyone looked into this issue?
The Tire Manual in the Airstream states that LT tires can be used. I have yet to hear of an LT failing.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
The Airstream "Travel Trailer Owner's Manual Addendum", titled "Tire Safety Information" that came with my 2007 AS states on page 8 that "LT-The "LT" indicates the tire is for light trucks or trailers".
Old 03-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
The Airstream "Travel Trailer Owner's Manual Addendum", titled "Tire Safety Information" that came with my 2007 AS states on page 8 that "LT-The "LT" indicates the tire is for light trucks or trailers".
I believe it says the same in the 2008 manual. Obviously Airstream changed its opinion later as they started putting LT tires on Airstreams in 2009. Once Airstream started offering LT's as an option, a lot more people on this Forum started switching.

So, if you have a problem with an insurance company, you can refer them to Airstream. I suspect an insurer that tries to deny a claim based on LT tires is an insurer that will give you lots of trouble anyway.

Gene
Old 03-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
mount joy , Pennsylvania
Has any one use firestone Lt225/75R16 transforce HT (highway all-season) tires. I like this tread design better then Michelin LTX M/S, and Goodyear Wrangler HT.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Michelin LTX M/S 2

Just spoke to Michelin and the LTX 225/75/16 is now available in the M/S "2" model rather than just the M/S. They said it is a new and improved design over the M/S.

Does anyone have experience with this M/S 2 tire? Tirerack does not even have it setup yet.