Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
mount joy , Pennsylvania
which michelin 16" tires did you go with, LTX M/S or LTX winter? what is the difference between the M/S and winter tire. Why didn't you use the XPS rib, which is an all season tire, price?
krlajwvater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
krla',

I don't know who you are asking about the Michelins. But, we got the LTX M+S. I don't know what an LTX "winter" is since the M+S is a snow tire. There are several versions of the LTX line of tires. You can go on the Michelin website for all the specs and other differences between their tires.

The XPS Rib is, in my opinion, a tire for commercial trucks. It is built to be retreaded and to use for many, many miles. It is more tire than I thought necessary for the trailer. I looked at the expected miles to be driven in 5 years with the trailer and the LTX should last about that long. We drive a lot of miles, so for some that would be more tire, but the Rib is even more than the LTX.

Some like the Rib because it has stronger sidewalls than the LTX and thus is more like the idea of a ST tire. I would think the Rib may ride a little harder than the LTX tires.

We put LTX A/T2 tires on the Tundra because we figured we'd put a lot more miles on the truck in 5 years than the trailer and that tire's tread should last longer than the M+S.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
After reading this forum I've become very concerned about the original tires on my Airstream and would like to upgrade to something with a better record of performance. The ST tires are designed for trailer towing use and by switching to a LT tire you are going to a tire not designed for trailer towing use. Is anyone concerned about having a problem with your insurance company if you have an accident running on LT tires and your insurance company decides not to pay the claim because the trailer was being operated on tires that are not designed for trailer use? Has anyone looked into this issue?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
After reading this forum I've become very concerned about the original tires on my Airstream and would like to upgrade to something with a better record of performance. The ST tires are designed for trailer towing use and by switching to a LT tire you are going to a tire not designed for trailer towing use. Is anyone concerned about having a problem with your insurance company if you have an accident running on LT tires and your insurance company decides not to pay the claim because the trailer was being operated on tires that are not designed for trailer use? Has anyone looked into this issue?
The Tire Manual in the Airstream states that LT tires can be used. I have yet to hear of an LT failing.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
The Airstream "Travel Trailer Owner's Manual Addendum", titled "Tire Safety Information" that came with my 2007 AS states on page 8 that "LT-The "LT" indicates the tire is for light trucks or trailers".
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
The Airstream "Travel Trailer Owner's Manual Addendum", titled "Tire Safety Information" that came with my 2007 AS states on page 8 that "LT-The "LT" indicates the tire is for light trucks or trailers".
I believe it says the same in the 2008 manual. Obviously Airstream changed its opinion later as they started putting LT tires on Airstreams in 2009. Once Airstream started offering LT's as an option, a lot more people on this Forum started switching.

So, if you have a problem with an insurance company, you can refer them to Airstream. I suspect an insurer that tries to deny a claim based on LT tires is an insurer that will give you lots of trouble anyway.

Gene
Old 03-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
mount joy , Pennsylvania
Has any one use firestone Lt225/75R16 transforce HT (highway all-season) tires. I like this tread design better then Michelin LTX M/S, and Goodyear Wrangler HT.
krlajwvater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Michelin LTX M/S 2

Just spoke to Michelin and the LTX 225/75/16 is now available in the M/S "2" model rather than just the M/S. They said it is a new and improved design over the M/S.

Does anyone have experience with this M/S 2 tire? Tirerack does not even have it setup yet.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
16 Rims & Michelins - The Girl Tool Kit Triumphs AGAIN

So, I got my rims - same ones as the Eddie Bauer and I got my centramatics, and bought the tires locally and had them mounted. Then took all five to the campground, hitched up, made the Lynx Leveler ramp to get one tire at a time off the ground, and changed each tire out.

Found the hardest part was getting the new tire on the lug bolts inside the rim. It's very hard to lift and push away at the same time. Solution? I grabbed two spare Lynx levelers as a fulcrum and a breaker bar, which I used to lever the tire up into place. Three out of four went on smooth as silk, the fourth fought me, but I persisted and won with nothing worse than a bloody thumb.

All good.

Then I dropped the 15" spare and tried to get the 16" spare under there.
(Extraordinary expletives deleted. The guy at the next campsite - a retired Marine DI - turned an alarming puce when he heard me. Oh well, the poor darling.)

Here's the problem. There are retaining pins that protrude from the sides of the "Y" shaped spare carrier They're "L" shaped and protrude about 4 inches from either side of the Y. Those suckers fit a 15" tire snugly (grrrh). So after 20 minutes of sweating like a coolie trying to nudge and kick the tire in far enough to raise the carrier, I yanked the spare back out and went for "the girl toolkit" - which is any tool used for a purpose other than it's basic design.

What I WANTED was a hydraulic jack to use to pry those pins farther apart, but of course No luck. A 5lb. sledge hammer didn't to do much but make me angrier... so then I went back and perused the toolkit again, and then I saw "IT"... A Crescent wrench, with a 5/8" round hole in the handle! Stealth Attack! I put the handle OVER the end of the pin about 1/2 way down and used main force to push the other end of the wrench downward. I felt the pins bend. Stealth and Trickery, eh? Next I let about 10lbs. of air out of the tire, then shoved it in successfully. Finally to lift the spare carrier back up, I used a piece of rebar I keep to anchor flagpoles, inserting it into the carrier's handle and lifting without having to try to do it through the tongue. Got it into position, slipped in the bolt and cotter pin. DONE. The triumph of the Girl Toolkit again!

(Yes several nice men offered to help, but if I'm going to fulltime I've got to have delusions of adequacy! I did borrow a torque wrench from one of them.)

If you decide to do it yourself, keep the spare carrier in mind. Just when you think all of the hard stuff is done too.

Paula (aka "She who walks like a woman, but smells like a goat!")
Gawd that shower afterwards was pure heaven!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
For Sale CHEAP - 15 inch RIMS

Yeah, yeah... I dun put em in the classy-fied's too. If you want them, come and get them - I'm selling cheap. Got spares TOO. Two even have decent tires I'll leave on. Rest have got original marathons which I'll have removed. (Or will probably be fine for a year or two if you've got a parked 'stream.) PM Me.

Paula
Old 05-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Paula, the spare carrier is a challenge. I had the tires mounted in JC, so they bent the pins outward so I don't know how they did it, but I'd bet they used a lever such as a pipe to multiply strength.

Wait 'til you try to get the tire out of that thing when it comes time to rotate tires. I put it back once and since the last time I removed it, it stays in the pickup bed when we travel, in the shop when we don't.

Gene
Old 05-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
I made a spare awning hook out of solid aluminum rod - thicker than the original with a bigger "crook" handle. I use it to yank the spare out. Once I bent the pins, I also let some air out of the spare. Between the two it should come out easily.. but then I'll have to sit while my tiny pump reinflates it. Oh well.

Paula
Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Firestone Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by krlajwvater View Post
Has any one use firestone Lt225/75R16 transforce HT (highway all-season) tires. I like this tread design better then Michelin LTX M/S, and Goodyear Wrangler HT.
Did you buy the Firestone Transforce? I'm considering it as well.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
So I just ordered 7 new Eddie Bauer style 16' wheels, with the black paint on them, with 7 Michelin LT M/S2 tires. 6 center caps and 30 tire Lugs. about $2600.00 plue tax and shipping. I am having them shipped to a tire dealer in my naborhood, who will install my new TPMS aftermarket 6-Wheel Kit (P602C) from Orange Electronics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	http---www.eddiebauer.com-assets-ocp-partners-110218-Eddie_Bauer_Brochure_Dec10.pdf - Adobe Acro.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	147066  

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Tires and wheels

Ordered the same wheels 16's from tredittire.com for $75 per wheel.Ordered Michelin lt's from tire rack for $148 per tire plus $50 to ship.Also ordered TPS from tire rack and it all works great!Glad I made the change from the 15's.Bent the prongs outward on spare tire carrier used a large Crecent wrench.Fits perfect now.Easy
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Moflash. What is Tredit's part number for the wheels. I don't see them on their website. Perhaps, are they the T03's? I see they have a 'black" coloration model category.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Ordered the same wheels 16's from tredittire.com for $75 per wheel.Ordered Michelin lt's from tire rack for $148 per tire plus $50 to ship.Also ordered TPS from tire rack and it all works great!Glad I made the change from the 15's.Bent the prongs outward on spare tire carrier used a large Crecent wrench.Fits perfect now.Easy
I got a quote from tredittire.com at $102.00per wheel!
You got a deal at $75.00

Did tire rack have a set of 6 in the wheel TPMS? I only saw a set of 4...

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

Old 12-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
OH, I now have 7, 15 inch wheels and tires for sale!!! PM me
Attached Images

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

Old 12-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Tredit in Kansas City quoted me $71.00 per wheel for the chrome version, not black, and $4 and some change for the hub cover.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Moflash... I contacted the tredittire.com dealer in York, PA and they told me they were a distributor and could not sell direct to an end user. What type of valve stems did you install, metel or rubber, and who did you purchase them from?